PDA

View Full Version : 870 capacity 6 one time 5 amother?

socalT
06-19-2011, 4:52 PM
This is consistently repeated. The gun is loaded with 6 in the the tube and I unload it for whatever reason(cleaning, handling...) I then try to reload and it only allows me to put 5 back in so I cycle those out and I can now put 6 back in. Repeatable every time, any idea what is going on? Appreciate any insight.:confused:

repubconserv
06-19-2011, 5:49 PM
I assume you are using the same sized shell

It could be that the follower might hang up on something or the shell stop getting in the way

On my 500 if I don't load the shells in a certain manner, they will get hung up on the shell stop about halfway up the shell. It is especially noticeable on the 5th shell

Good luck

MarioS
06-19-2011, 9:28 PM
I would guess it's the follower hanging up in the tube as well where the magazine extension meets the magazine tube. My 870 had the same problem. Take the magazine extension off and put the parts back together one by one; coupling that screws onto the magazine tube, then the magazine extension. I had the problem when I would try to screw coupling onto the extension first, then together as one piece onto the magazine tube. Didn't have problems after that.

aippi
06-20-2011, 9:56 AM
This comes up so often and is an install problem so to save typing I put the fix on my web site. Go to www.aiptactical.com and click on the red link "Install and Cleaning". Read how to properly install the tube extension and follow that and your issue if over.

sargenv
06-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Sometimes the shell lengths are slightly different.. you can sometimes fit 5 or 6 depending on the crimped length of the shells in question. I have a buddy with a different brand shotgun that sometimes he can fit 4 and sometimes he can fit 5 in the mag tube..

socalT
06-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks for all the responses, "aippi" was right on the money and now works like a champ. I am curious though how it would always be 6-5-6-5-6-5-6-5, seems like it would be more random. Anyway aippi was 100 percent correct and his website is the holy mecca for 870's. Thanks a bunch:p