PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 and red dot sights.

robtheman
06-19-2011, 8:42 AM
I am interested in mounting a red dot dight on my 870 and am curious about others thoughts. Thinking about the Vortex Sparc. Any experience out there? Suggestions?

bjl333
06-19-2011, 8:54 AM
There is a thread with the same basic question. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=445723

IMO a red dot sight don't belong on a shotgun. The shotgun is meant to be pointed at the target not aiming. That is why a shotgun has a big pattern and not a single hole like a rifle!!

farias4000
06-19-2011, 9:11 AM
Depends are you looking to get this done just to make it tactical or you going to shoot trap with it or are you hunting with it?

Sanderhawk
06-19-2011, 9:12 AM
Just point and shoot no aiming required. :D

MossbergMan
06-19-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm also a non-red dot sight for HD SGs too. However that being said, I'd be looking for a small, rugged, LOW MOUNTED sight. Aimpoint and Sig are making very compact red dot sights. With a hunting application the dot may make perfect sense.
Anything that is battery reliant is prone to failure at the least opportune time. Although battery life has been extended, I trust my Trijicon Reflex (nuclear powered :coolgleamA:) over my EOTech. I like the reticle of the EOTech for competition and the single dot for serious social work. My rifles have ironsight back up, my SG does not. Something to think about.

djleisure
06-19-2011, 12:33 PM
IMO a red dot sight don't belong on a shotgun. The shotgun is meant to be pointed at the target not aiming. That is why a shotgun has a big pattern and not a single hole like a rifle!!
I agree that a red dot isn't necessary if you're bird hunting, but as a tactical option, they are actually quite helpful. First of all, if you're used to using a red dot on an AR or other weapon, then it's natural to just point, quickly acquire red dot, then shoot. If the red dot fails, no big deal, you still have a nice little circle to shoot through and it doesn't mess up the general point-and-shoot-ability of the shotgun. But most importantly, if you want to use rifled slugs to reach out a lot further and more effectively, then the red dot will work wonders. Just my opinion - YMMV.

I use a Primary Arms on a Mesa Tactical saddle/rail mount on my 870.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af189/dj_leisure/781081ee.jpg

socalT
06-19-2011, 4:41 PM
Do you need a red dot on an 870, probably not. I put a light/laser on my 870 shorty with forend pistol grip and it comes in quite handy when I am shooting it from the hip/side (very Tacticool). With that being said I think a red dot on a longer barrel has no downside and you should go for it.

robtheman
06-19-2011, 8:04 PM
thanks for the opinions, this is a short tactical gun not for birds, home protection and fun shooting is the plan. Keep the thoughts coming.

farias4000
06-21-2011, 9:16 AM
Don't go way overboard on a tacticool shotgun for HD. It would be hard to convince a jury why you would need all that crap on your HD shotgun. Tacticool your favorite shotgun and devote a plane jane 870 for HD. Just make sure it's a pump.

I'd agree with no sights as stated above it just doesn't belong on a shotgun. Line up that barrel and bead sight and lock in the threat to force them out of your home or have them face down on the floor. If the threat knocks that shotgun off your hand and disables your sights what are you going to rely on if the sight is knocked out of alignment? What if batteries run out? Both scope/red dot & bead sight will be obstructed. In this case instead of the sights being disable, you will be the one disable because you will have no line of sight to reference to. If you were to break a bead off you still have a good idea of where it will shoot.

glock_this
06-21-2011, 9:26 AM
I think a high viz front site is more useful on what is an arguably simple point and shoot weapon that has some spread to the shot so no need to be "precise" about shot placement.

I use one of the snap on green shotgun barrel TruGlo's

BigDogatPlay
06-21-2011, 1:01 PM
I think a high viz front site is more useful on what is an arguably simple point and shoot weapon that has some spread to the shot so no need to be "precise" about shot placement.

:iagree:

The red dot is best, IMO, for slugs at intermediate to maximum range. The typical HD scenario isn't at those kind of distances. An improved front sight, like a Hi-Viz or a tritium enhanced bead, seems like a far better choice for close quarter, instinctive shooting. I'm not a big fan of GRS on an HD shotgun, but I think I'd probably choose that system before I chose a red dot.

That said, I was watching 'Personal Defense TV' last night and the show was plugging the 590A1, with a red dot, as the "perfect combination" for close quarters where the shotgun's pattern requires the shooter to be precise (?). Granted they want you to buy the advertisers product so take it for what it's worth, but there you go.

richardk1911
06-21-2011, 2:11 PM
I thought ghost ring are better............:p

L84CABO
06-21-2011, 9:38 PM
The shotgun is meant to be pointed at the target not aiming. That is why a shotgun has a big pattern and not a single hole like a rifle!!

Hmmm...unless you're shooting slugs. Or possibly if you're shooting shorter distances where the shot doesn't have enough time to expand. If I have to shoot an intruder inside my house, I'm aiming...not just pointing in the general direction.

One should always parttern your gun and ammo so you know what type of spread you're going to get at vairous distances. Decide for yourself what distance you feel comforatable just "pointing."

And I'm not saying that a red dot is necessary. Just that the notion of not needing to aim a shotgun isn't always true.

ilikeguns
06-21-2011, 10:05 PM
If the red dot is a "fun" thing then by all means throw it on there. For just about any other application I would prefer the bead sight.

robtheman
06-22-2011, 7:26 AM
As a side note, i'm getting older and vision is not as sharp as it used to be, so this is another reason to consider the red dot. I have hi viz sights on a sig 226 that are great in bright sunlight but not much help in the dark but I have considered some for the 870. keep the suggestions coming this is helpful.

Marlin Hunter
06-22-2011, 7:56 AM
If you wake up in the night and need to use your red dot for home defense, you will need to turn it on. How many seconds will it take to fumble with the knob. A tritium sight or light gathering fiber optic sight might be better.

connotaucarius
10-31-2015, 3:51 PM
This is an old thread but, I felt it needed an update.

I ran my AR through a training course the first time with iron sights and the second time with an Aimpoint. And I must say, the Aimpoint dramatically improved my target acquisition time.

I'm looking for the same improvement with my shotgun. Yes at close range the Ghost ring sights of my 870 tactical will do just fine, however with an aimpoint H-2, I expect it to be just that much faster. All you naysayers will suggest that it's not necessary with 00 Buck. However, if you remember that you are responsible for EVERYTHING that comes out of the muzzle of that weapon, you might chose to use a slug instead. With an RDS, I know exactly where all 435 grains of that slug is going, even at 1600 FPS in a dark room.

Oh and the battery life of that Aimpoint H-2 is something on the order of 5 years. I need to change my smoke detector batteries more often.

slomofo
10-31-2015, 6:27 PM
I use a Burris speed bead on a back up gun. I do tournaments every March in Utah and the weather is hit/miss. I normally use bead sights on an O/U but if it's dark/gloomy outside with high winds and rain/snow which is common at that range, I break out the Winchester semi-auto w/speedbead.