PDA

View Full Version : FN is not very known despite its very advanced weapons

VeryCoolCat
12-21-2006, 10:34 PM
The first gun I've ever bought was an fn... and I'd have to say they've quickly become my preferred choice whenever I'm going to buy a new gun.

FN made the Minimi aka M249... The P90... the Five-seveN... the F2000.... and now the SCAR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djy6xPmQ5Pg&NR

I think I'd rather buy a PBR than a Rem 700 :p

eckerph
12-22-2006, 12:12 AM
That SCAR looks pretty cool especially the 7.62:D I really like how easy it breaks down.

CALI-gula
12-22-2006, 12:13 AM
One positive note is that FN is releasing a new .45ACP handgun, the FNH-USA, FNP-45 - a double action polymer framed gun, with some of the typical "combat" gun style ergonomic adjustable features, and ambi controls. The slide is stainless whether silver or blackened. Has an interesting grip base angle, and an exposed ring-hammer. Supposedly to be made here in the US.

The problem with FN is they haven't marketed heavily here in the US in the past 10 years, except for their advertising of GP35/Hi-Powers, and lately the FN FiveseveN which they seem to be pushing hard.

FN may also be limited exposure in rcent years, due to many of their guns being unavailable to civilians since the '94 Clinton ban, because of design. Now that that silliness is over, maybe we'll see a lot more FN products in the US.

I also recall that their .50BMG sniper rifle is NOT avialable to the public and is LEO ONLY, even now. :mad:

Chrism1438
12-22-2006, 9:40 AM
I have had the oppurtunity to handle and shoot the FN5.7 and it is awesome. Yes it is pricey, but if I could have only one firearm period it might be that pistol. Its like a ar15(mini rounds), Glock in its weight and best of all minimal recoil. Surprisingly little recoil I wouldnt even call it recoil. If you lived some where you can have the higher cap mags, thats 20 round of high velocity ammo in a pistol. Truely awesome.

Turbinator
12-22-2006, 10:14 AM
FN is a great company, did you guys see the episode hosted by Kelly Purdue (of the Apprentice winning fame) where he tours the FN factory, showing how they make M16's for the military?

Turby

Alanski56
12-22-2006, 1:50 PM
[QUOTE FN is a great company, did you guys see the episode hosted by Kelly Purdue (of the Apprentice winning fame) where he tours the FN factory, showing how they make M16's for the military?

Turby

I did! It was awesome. Prior to that I had no idea that FN was involved in manufacturing M-16s for the military. Great episode!

icormba
12-22-2006, 2:14 PM
"FN is not very known despite its very advanced weapons"

odd, I always thought FN was one of the most famous gun makers in the world outside of the US? Heck, even John Mosses Browning worked with FN. ;)

VeryCoolCat
12-22-2006, 2:39 PM
"FN is not very known despite its very advanced weapons"

odd, I always thought FN was one of the most famous gun makers in the world outside of the US? Heck, even John Mosses Browning worked with FN. ;)

Oh cmon... I've said ... oh I own an FN to plenty of people... and they always "Whats an FN????"

HK, Colt, S&W, Sig, Glock, Remington, Winchester (well thats fn now though), enfield are known more around the world than FN.

FNs have the coolest looking guns bar none :p

P90s and F2000s are the coolest looking weapons I have ever seen.

leelaw
12-22-2006, 2:48 PM
http://www.apt401.com/fn57iom.jpg

FN does make good looking, and performing firearms. I've been impressed with the quality of their work - just disassemble a 5-7 and you can see how clean everything is machined.

That said, I'd like them to expand into the CA market a little more..

SemiAutoSam
12-22-2006, 2:51 PM
OK so your friends are a tad bit ignorant. But I'm sure you are up to the job of educating them.

Oh cmon... I've said ... oh I own an FN to plenty of people... and they always "Whats an FN????"

HK, Colt, S&W, Sig, Glock, Remington, Winchester (well thats fn now though), enfield are known more around the world than FN.

eckerph
12-22-2006, 2:54 PM
[QUOTE FN is a great company, did you guys see the episode hosted by Kelly Purdue (of the Apprentice winning fame) where he tours the FN factory, showing how they make M16's for the military?

Turby

I did! It was awesome. Prior to that I had no idea that FN was involved in manufacturing M-16s for the military. Great episode!

That show was awsome.

MrTenX
12-22-2006, 4:41 PM
I worked at FN Manufacturing Inc., in Columbia, SC from 1991-1997.
Started out in the machine shop cranking out parts. After 6 months managed to get into M16 assembly, assembling M16A2 barrels to the receiver. Rate was 10 an hour - 100 per day. Their were four of us doing that when at full production (1st shift).
Later moved onto M240 assembly and after about a year was running the M-240 breech bolt line doing final machining and assembly of the M-240 bolt.
When no work in my dept. could usually find work in M249 assembly or the range.
I fired for function and accuracy most of the Browning BDM pistols FN was contracted to manufacture for Browning.
The drill was 10 rds (5 CCI Blazer/5 Win. Silver Tip) for function and 4 rds for accuracy. The first rd. for the accuracy check was shot into the berm and the remaining 3 shot for record. Group had to be centered and 3 inches or less at 50 ft from my hand.
I could do 100 guns in a 10 hr shift. 100 x 14= 1400 rds. However, I usually shot a lot more than that for re-fires and questionable guns.
Had an assistant loading magazines, checking targets and swapping out front sights if a particular pistol was shooting high or low.
It was an interesting time but, 7 years of production work was enough for me.

icormba
12-22-2006, 4:41 PM

I was just messing with ya! None of my friend's knew what Fabrique Nationale was either until I mentioned Browning, Hi Power, FAL ;)

You are right... they really are not known by Name as well as some of the others to the casual gun owning community.

FN actually ended up making many parts for the BIG name guys over in Europe in the past 100 years... Mauser, Enfield, Walther, and so on.

whatever
12-22-2006, 6:50 PM
The first gun I've ever bought was an fn... and I'd have to say they've quickly become my preferred choice whenever I'm going to buy a new gun.

FN made the Minimi aka M249... The P90... the Five-seveN... the F2000.... and now the SCAR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djy6xPmQ5Pg&NR

I think I'd rather buy a PBR than a Rem 700 :p

Have you told us yet which FN firearm you own (owned?)