PDA

View Full Version : Browning auto 5 shotgun

bladerunner67
06-18-2011, 11:20 PM
I just won a Browning auto 5 in 12 gauge at a local auction. A friend of mine was at the auction house and new I was looking to get a shotgun. I was thinking of picking up a Mossberg 500 at Big5 when they go on sale. Anyway I told him what the maximum bid I would go to and what do you know, he calls me later this evening and tells me I won it. The only info I have is that it's in almost new condition and the serial number begins with an "M". According to the Browning website this shotgun was produced in 1957. My quick questions are: does this make this shotgun a C&R or will I have to wait 10 days to pick it up. And my last question is, does anybody have any feedback on these models and what are they worth. I know what I'm going to pay for it, I'm just curious if I got a good deal or what.

Thanks,

Dan in Silicon Valley

mosinnagantm9130
06-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Yes, it's C&R, but you'll still have to wait the 10 days for it unless you have a C&R+COE.

bladerunner67
06-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the info Killer Bee. I am registered on Gunbroker and I did search for the Browning auto 5's. They only have 3 listed right now and the pictures show more wear than the one I'm getting. Barrel is plain, not raised rib, so from your estimated pricing it looks like I got a good deal at $350. No C&R for me so I guess it goes to jail for 10 days. Now all I have to get is a gun case for when I pick it up.

Thanks,

Dan

prc77
06-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Dan
That A5 is in great condition. I think you got a good deal at $350, congrats.
Hit me up sometime and we'll go bust some clays at Los Altos Rod & Gun.

wilit
06-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Yes, it's C&R, but you'll still have to wait the 10 days for it unless you have a C&R+COE.

C&R + COE is really for handguns. Any long gun (rifle or shotgun) that's over 50 years old can be cash and carried or mailed direct to your door (with an 03 FFL).

jimbos44
06-19-2011, 1:39 PM
My first gun was a belguim magnum 20. 3" MAG ,26" barrel,vent rib, full choke. Still own it. Do I keep it or sell it ? Got Christmas 1971 at age 11:confused:

bladerunner67
06-19-2011, 7:55 PM
I know this question has been asked and answered but after doing a search for the last 30 minutes trying to find the thread I give up and will ask it again. The last long gun I dros'd was a Calguns OLL where I provided a gun lock when I purchased it. My question is: Do I need to provide an approved gun lock when I pick up my shotgun or can I just use the lockable gun case I have, and no, I do not have a gun safe yet so I cannot fill out a gun safe affidavid form.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

jimbos44
06-19-2011, 10:04 PM
gun in pretty good shape. Original plastic buttplate, stock still shiny, gold trigger and blueing on grip worn from use. Have to look closer, but possible pitting in engraving. Still have original owner manuel in black envelope. Stored in a padded leather zippered browning gun case

Thefeeder
06-19-2011, 10:09 PM
A-5 are not mentioned much on this forum but here it is.

The Browning A-5 is one of the best semi ever built. They will last 3 life times. Balanced and swing very well. The Humpback design makes for a shorter receiver and helps the shooter keep their head up. Never a jam. .....Hand engraved reciever, Franch Walnut stocks.

Many Police Dept used the Browning A-5 Buck model

Also the fastest shotgun to reload. whem empty

You dont put a shell in the reciver and press the release button to close the bolt.....just load a sheel into the mag and it will cycle in the barrel ready to fire. Also down load an owners manual and learn to move the spring bushing for use of light or heavy loads.

They should start making them again looking at what people are willing to pay for a good quality semi these days

Price to make them killed the A-5...not the quality. Collector still love them if they are orginal and in 95% or better condition...Nib can fetch 2-2500.00. Dont get too bright eyed 1.9 million are in the 400-1000 range