PDA

View Full Version : Talk me into (or out of) a NAA .22 revolver

crackerman
06-18-2011, 11:48 PM
So I have been looking at the North American Arms .22LR mini revolver. IT looks like a good last ditch CCW gun for Nevada, good for those fancy clothes, or other non-permissive environments.

ALso the just look like a pure bit of fun. .22 being cheap and all seems like a fun little gun, and since you can get one at just a little over $175 whats not to like.

Anyone have one and what are the thoughts?

NSR500
06-18-2011, 11:52 PM
I've played with one, and while it's better than nothing, I would prefer to have something else. You really have to RTFM for this gun and be vigilant about not having the hammer down in the wrong position.

CZ9
06-18-2011, 11:55 PM
I heard about these, and thought it was the coolest thing ever. Always wanted one, then I picked one up and shot it and lost all interest after that day. It had lost its novelty factor.
With the grip being so small, it was awkward to hold and shoot.
Have you picked one up and handled it a bit?

wuhungsix
06-19-2011, 12:21 AM
NOVELTY.

slow to deploy and don't count on stopping anything with a heart/determination bigger than a gerbil, let alone a would be attacker fresh off of an early release from the state pen.

Watters Edge Design
06-19-2011, 12:31 AM
I have one with the 22lr and 22mag cyl. Got the folding grip / holster option.
Great for sticking in the pocket and looks like a folding knife.
Got mine loaded up with snake shot for hiking and keep in in my console of my car usually.

1998 m4a1
06-19-2011, 3:16 AM
its a good gun and if you pratice, youshould beable to hit someone at 100 feet.

1998 m4a1
06-19-2011, 3:18 AM
NOVELTY.

slow to deploy and don't count on stopping anything with a heart/determination bigger than a gerbil, let alone a would be attacker fresh off of an early release from the state pen.

tell that to the people which get shot and killed by them. check out the naa website, there are stories there of people which have easily killed and defended themselves with one!

chim-chim7
06-19-2011, 3:33 AM
Great little gun. For being so small they are built VERY well. You can see the craftsmanship in the work and fine details. I have one just for fun. I have the .22lr, it's smaller than the .22 magnum. If you get the .22 magnum version they also make a cylinder to shoot cheaper .22lr. The pistol is a gut buster, basically shove into someones body and pull the trigger. You can bet getting shot with a .22lr or magnum would take the fight out of them and they would most likely try to run away or just drop. .22lr is no joke, it's a deadly round with the right shot placement.

den888
06-19-2011, 8:02 AM
My Dad owned one, very hard to shoot.

jdg30
06-19-2011, 8:06 AM
I used to have a .22lr NAA revolver but sold it a couple years back. They're very nice little guns and are excellent quality. I almost changed my mind about selling it every time I handled it because it was such a good quality gun but eventually gave in and sold it.

What I didn't like about it was the gun was awkward to hold and I could never get a good grip on the gun. The super short barrel made it hard to be accurate with. The combination of short barrel and awkward grip made it very hard for me to shoot well.

Reloading it is no fun either because you have to take the cylinder out every 5 shots, punch the empty cases out with the pin, reload it, then get everything lined up and put back together again to fire the next 5 rounds. I lost interest in shooting it pretty quick because it took so much time to reload and once reloaded, I didn't shoot well with it.

If I had someone attacking me I would feel rather unconfident that the little gun would take care of business but that's just me. Under stress you would have to cock the hammer every shot and make sure you will actually hit what you're trying to. The awkward grip and light trigger without a trigger guard would make it very easy to have an accidental discharge.

On the other hand, the guns are very cool and well made. They are simple to conceal and I'm sure they can do damage if you're able to pull it out and make your shots count. For the price you can't go wrong either.

I only sold mine because I hardly shot it and didn't feel like putting in the time to become proficient with that gun. I say if you really want one then get it. They're good guns for what they are.

CSACANNONEER
06-19-2011, 8:12 AM
I own three of them and would add to that list if I ever run across some of their newest designs (Ranger which has been pulled from production) on the California secondary market. But, they are novelty guns and not something I'd want to carry for SD. I'd feel better carrrying my 21A in .22lr, my Jetfire in .25acp or buying a NAA Guardian, Seecamp, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that they are fun to shoot, if I was in a SD situation, I'd rather have an empty longneck than any of my NAA revolvers.

wuhungsix
06-19-2011, 12:51 PM
tell that to the people which get shot and killed by them. check out the naa website, there are stories there of people which have easily killed and defended themselves with one!

Well it would be bad business for NAA to list stories of faliure. People get shot and killed by Daisy pellet guns too but they are still a bad choice for self defense.