PDA

View Full Version : I am strong, but thin.. need a better buttpad for my mossy 500

glock_this
06-18-2011, 8:37 AM
Okay, I have come to determine after several times shooting my Mossberg 500 (see in signature below) my shoulder area takes a hell of a lot of abuse as I do not have much mass and flesh in that area to absorb recoil. And, the stock ATI buttpad is simply not cutting it.

Can anyone recommend an upgraded buttpad option that will fit the ATI brand AR style stock on my Mossberg and absorb more recoil? This is the stock ATI brand stock that comes with this Mossberg and the recoil pad they offer is just not cutting it... for me :p

aippi
06-18-2011, 10:36 AM
I am thinking the Limsaver M-4 pad fits all M-4 type stocks. Best $40 you will ever spend that involves keeping your pants on.

sargenv
06-18-2011, 2:11 PM
You could also go the avenue of a wearable PAST recoil shield.. and you can use it for other shoulder fired firearms..

seal20
06-18-2011, 2:32 PM
I like my Blackhawk Knoxx stock a lot. There are a lot of people who hate on this stock, but I have put several hundred shells though mine and it's great. I know nutnfancy hated it, but this is the same dude who thought it was funny when the kel-tec KSG literally left a welt on his FACE!!! (oh BTW one of his buddies is a rep for Kel-Tec). There is a bit of a learning curve, so don't get frustrated if you aren't perfect with it right off the bat. Blackhawk also makes a standard rifle stock version with the recoil reduction if that is your preference.

bjl333
06-18-2011, 2:47 PM
Have you check how you're mounting the shotgun! Most of the people coming to the clinic are not mounting their gun correctly. A correctly mounted gun will not beat you up as bad!!

X-NewYawker
06-18-2011, 4:03 PM
1) check you gun mount.
2) limbsaver
3) Knoxx recoil reducing stock from BLACKHAWK! (it's like a hundred bucks, has a pistol grip, and reduces 80% of recoil. It make me WANT to shoot heavy loads in my mossberg --

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Rifles/KNoxxguns.jpg

Thefeeder
06-18-2011, 4:05 PM
Have you check how you're mounting the shotgun! Most of the people coming to the clinic are not mounting their gun correctly. A correctly mounted gun will not beat you up as bad!!

This is dead on!

Bad mount and bad fit = bad recoil and no hits

Here is some usefull info:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=425953

bohoki
06-18-2011, 4:22 PM
my 50 bmg would have killed me if i didnt get this

http://shootersfriend.com/

bjl333
06-18-2011, 4:35 PM
my 50 bmg would have killed me if i didnt get this

http://shootersfriend.com/

Killed is such a strong word!! :D

Weight of the weapon also factor into recoil. If you're shooting a 10lb 50BMG then I'd say you're dead. :eek::p J/K But you certainly won't be happy...

glock_this
06-18-2011, 5:42 PM

Can you please expand on this a bit. Not sure what you mean?

As for the rest of you guys, thanks.. I don't plan to buy a whole new stock for something I don't shoot that much, but I appreciate the responses. I will look into some of the pads mentioned.

Thefeeder
06-18-2011, 5:53 PM
Can you please expand on this a bit. Not sure what you mean?

As for the rest of you guys, thanks.. I don't plan to buy a whole new stock for something I don't shoot that much, but I appreciate the responses. I will look into some of the pads mentioned.

Please read or take advantage of one of our Skeet Clinics if your in the areas

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=425953

glock_this
06-18-2011, 5:59 PM
I read that post BUT (1) I already have it so fit is fit at this stage (2) I don't shoot skeet or trap or hunt (3) that post does not really explain what you mean by "mount" unless you mean "stance", it just implies the importance of good fit and stance?

All this taken together, as an avid rifle shooter, if I get your drift and reading the post, yes.. I mount my shotgun properly. My body is simply thin and a 12g has a lot of kick and.. I need some more padding :)

bjl333
06-18-2011, 7:13 PM
If you're sure about the gun mount then get a good soft gooey recoil pad on it!! :thumbsup:

Thefeeder
06-18-2011, 8:31 PM
I read that post BUT (1) I already have it so fit is fit at this stage (2) I don't shoot skeet or trap or hunt (3) that post does not really explain what you mean by "mount" unless you mean "stance", it just implies the importance of good fit and stance?

All this taken together, as an avid rifle shooter, if I get your drift and reading the post, yes.. I mount my shotgun properly. My body is simply thin and a 12g has a lot of kick and.. I need some more padding :)

Skeet or shooting paper......same thing....a bad fitting gun or bad mount will make for a painfull day

Did you do the excercise in the post to find if a shotgun fits you? Get in a shooting stance put weight on your left forward foot, bring your chin 1 inch down and 1 inch forward, place the gun at your side , close your eyes, do not move your head, in ome motion bring the shotgun to shoulder and cheek....open your right eye(if right handed shooter)....Do you see any part of the barrel??...........if yes ....the gun does not fit and will kick ...also do you mount with your right elbow at or near shoulder hieght?

I see and have students who are skinny.....We always try to fit the gun to the student before we do any shooting.

glock_this
06-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Skeet or shooting paper......same thing....a bad fitting gun or bad mount will make for a painfull day

Did you do the excercise in the post to find if a shotgun fits you? Get in a shooting stance put weight on your left forward foot, bring your chin 1 inch down and 1 inch forward, place the gun at your side , close your eyes, do not move your head, in ome motion bring the shotgun to shoulder and cheek....open your right eye(if right handed shooter)....Do you see any part of the barrel??...........if yes ....the gun does not fit and will kick ...also do you mount with your right elbow at or near shoulder hieght?

I see and have students who are skinny.....We always try to fit the gun to the student before we do any shooting.

like I said, the gun is the gun and I own it at this stage, so correct fit or not.. that part of this story is what it is.

Now, you give a good description about fit, some actual steps to try and follow, and I will try them tomorrow. Not that it will matter so much as the gun is what it is, but maybe I can improve the my stance or setup - the stock is adjustable - so I will see.

Either way, and I am no way a pro on shotguns just using simple logic, I cannot imagine stance change could take enough recoil out to soften that blow I perceive so I am sure a better pad is on the horizon no matter what.