PDA

View Full Version : Privacy of personal info during traffic stop? Scanners hear it all...

Danz la Nuit
06-18-2011, 8:28 AM
During a traffic stop can I request that an officer call my info in to the dispatch rather than broadcasting it out across the radio that everyone can listen to?

I was surprised to hear people's full name, DL # address, LP #, priors, etc... all being sent out over the air...

Jack L
06-18-2011, 8:53 AM
During a traffic stop can I request that an officer call my info in to the dispatch rather than broadcasting it out across the radio that everyone can listen to?

I was surprised to hear people's full name, DL # address, LP #, priors, etc... all being sent out over the air...

I am not a LEO but worked EMS and we had at least 8 different channels we monitored to know what was up in the air, at sea, in the counties and adjoining cites and unit to unit and this includes base station calls to the ER, LE, fire and at time private security. One would have to use a dedicated channel to block it from civilians and not that many use this method.

The new privacy laws are not well protected at this point. If you go to a hospital and are in a room with another patient, all the nurse or doc does is pull a certain closed and then go about discussing medical issues with the patient or relatives of the patient next to you. It's somewhat of a joke among us but shouldn't be.

dasmi
06-18-2011, 9:13 AM
Most law enforcement agencies in my area use digital radios, some are encrypted. The CHP, however, 39.4MHz, analog, no encryption, no scrambling. I regularly hear personal information on the air from them.

Triad
06-18-2011, 9:44 AM
We use a separate channel that has digital encryption for when we "run" people.

You can sure make the request, but there is nothing that says the officer/deputy has to call it in.

IrishJoe3
06-18-2011, 9:59 AM
You can ask, but I have no way to facilitate your request, so no, everything over the air.

Danz la Nuit
06-18-2011, 11:28 AM
You can ask, but I have no way to facilitate your request, so no, everything over the air.

I have been told by dispatch operators that their respective agencies LEO's can always call the dispatch from their cell phones if their radio has issues & ID themselves with a passcode.

Just wondering how willing LEO's would be in accomidating such a request assuming they have the same backup functionality @ their dispatch.

eviioiive
06-18-2011, 11:55 AM
..dont get pulled over

SVT-40
06-18-2011, 12:08 PM
I have been told by dispatch operators that their respective agencies LEO's can always call the dispatch from their cell phones if their radio has issues & ID themselves with a passcode.

Just wondering how willing LEO's would be in accomidating such a request assuming they have the same backup functionality @ their dispatch.

Calling dispatch would be at their discretion. Which would probably be based on the detainee's attitude. In addition it would put a larger burden on the dispatchers who would have to answer the phone and then wait on hold for the information to return. Meanwhile she or he is answering other phones and talking on the radio ect.

It's much easier for them to just receive the info via the radio, then when the info is available call officer on the radio and provide it.

Dispatchers are often very busy folks, and officers try very hard to not irritate them of make their work load any larger than necessary.

The only information by law which cannot be broadcast over the open radio is assault weapons information. That too is conditional.

The PC.
12288.5. (a) No peace officer or dispatcher shall broadcast over a
police radio that an individual has registered, or has obtained a
permit to possess, an assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle pursuant to
this chapter, unless there exists a reason to believe in good faith
that one of the following conditions exist:
(1) The individual has engaged, or may be engaged, in criminal
conduct.
(2) The police are responding to a call in which the person
allegedly committing a criminal violation may gain access to the
assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle.
(3) The victim, witness, or person who reported the alleged
criminal violation may be using the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle
to hold the person allegedly committing the criminal violation or may
be using the weapon in defense of himself, herself, or other
persons.
(b) This section shall not prohibit a peace officer or dispatcher
from broadcasting over a police radio that an individual has not
registered, or has not obtained a permit to possess, an assault
weapon or .50 BMG rifle pursuant to this chapter.
(c) This section does not limit the transmission of an assault
weapon or a .50 BMG rifle ownership status via law enforcement
computers or any other medium that is legally accessible only to
peace officers or other authorized personnel.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
06-18-2011, 12:28 PM
With the increasing popularity of CAD (Computer Aided Dispatching) terminals in cars, this issue is destined to die a natural death. The question is how long it will take.

Falconis
06-18-2011, 1:13 PM

You realize policies and procedures are different from agency to agency. Besides, like everyone here has said, you can ask, they don't have to oblige.

Danz la Nuit
06-18-2011, 2:52 PM
You realize policies and procedures are different from agency to agency.

Yes... Yes I do, hence why I said "assuming they have the same backup functionality @ their dispatch."

;)

Triad
06-18-2011, 4:33 PM
With regards to a the use of computers inside patrol vehicle, we do have the option to run people through the same systems as dispatch does through the computers in our cars, but the caveat to that is my department doesn't run two man units.

If another unit shows up I usually do run people on the computer, but this isn't common for me.

And while on a traffic stop if I am out of my car, there's no way I am getting back into that death trap until the contact is done.

Notorious
06-19-2011, 12:13 AM
Our radios are encrypted county wide trunking system or whatever the whole thing is called... but yeah, we used to call it in on unsecured wavelengths that anyone can listen in on.

Farnsworth
06-19-2011, 12:16 AM
All I know is LAPD lets the info out for everyone to hear.

IrishJoe3
06-19-2011, 12:31 AM

Yes I can call dispatch via land line.... However dispatch is not set up to run that way and even just a few officers calling in the info via phone would create major problems. The other issue is that when I go over minutes on my personal cell phone its something like 45 cents a minute. So no, I am not going to piss off dispatch and run up my phone bill because someone is affraid that Joe scanner hopper will hear that they got a speeding ticket three years ago.

Examples of when I do use a telephone is the ID of a deceased party when the family has not been notified.

Cokebottle
06-19-2011, 12:38 AM
With the increasing popularity of CAD (Computer Aided Dispatching) terminals in cars, this issue is destined to die a natural death. The question is how long it will take.
Scanners, yes, but not other sources.

Take a look at Sigalert.com
Click on the diamonds for more information.

Names and outstanding warrants are frequently listed. The information on the incident is a copy of the dispatch log.

chiselchst
06-19-2011, 2:22 AM

I know! The scanner is not near as fun to listen to now... :(

yzernie
06-19-2011, 8:11 AM

Other than very few remote departments and assignments, I do not know of any agency that issues cell phones to the officers who work on patrol. Besides, we take enough heat for the things we do and I can only imagine the additional negative comments if every officer was issued a cell phone. For many reasons, I don't use my personal cell phone for duty business.

For reasons I will not discuss in this forum, neither myself or the deputies working for me on my shift would accomodate your request.

ironcross
06-19-2011, 11:38 AM

PM Inbound

oddjob
06-24-2011, 9:33 PM
Its been mentioned already, but many agencies don't issue cell phones. And no...I wouldn't use my personal cell for work.

For you LEO's out there. After having numerous friendly coffee gatherings with some former Chiefs, asst Chiefs, Capts & etc I have one piece of advice. Do not use your personal cell phones for work and do not use your work cell phone for personal business (text, calls or PICS). This includes e-mails from a computer.

Ugly things can be brought out. Just assume if a discovery request is made you might be at the minimum be very embarrassed.

Jwood562
06-24-2011, 11:38 PM

ha, yeah right, so I am going to use my personal cell phone to run you. just so you can turn around and subpeona my cell phone records since I used it for duty work. everything over the air

emvampyre
06-24-2011, 11:54 PM
ha, yeah right, so I am going to use my personal cell phone to run you. just so you can turn around and subpeona my cell phone records since I used it for duty work. everything over the air

+ 1,000,000,000!

Having had my personal cell phone records subpoened during a murder trial, I will NEVER!!!! use my cell phone for "work" ever again. Nope, not gonna happen.

Also, on my department when we "run" a subject over the air (or via the MDT in our car) if that individual happens to have a warrant or a "hit" that information is the broadcast by dispatch to me, and to all of the units of the frequency. This way, my sister units start heading my way before I have to start requesting assisting units if needed. My department's radio broaadcasts are encryted and nobody but "us" will hear the information given via the radio.

1911su16b870
06-25-2011, 10:56 PM

...and why are you listening to LE radio traffic??? :confused:

IrishJoe3
06-25-2011, 10:59 PM

I know, right?? Sounds really boring!

Notorious
06-25-2011, 11:30 PM

So he can hear confidential information?

Falstaff
06-28-2011, 8:53 PM
Aside from the excellent advice given here on calguns (NEVER talk to the police) I am amazed and appalled by two things while monitoring police traffic.
1. Idiots giving police their social security number
2. Police repeating the SSI number, name and address of people over the air in the clear. That is negligence IMO especially when MDTs are readily available
If you can't summon the nerve to not talk NEVER give them your SSI number. It was never intended to be used for national ID purposes and they cannot charge with anything for refusing to divulge your SSI number.
Oh and don't put it on your 4473 either!

BigDogatPlay
06-28-2011, 9:17 PM
With regards to a the use of computers inside patrol vehicle, we do have the option to run people through the same systems as dispatch does through the computers in our cars, but the caveat to that is my department doesn't run two man units.

If another unit shows up I usually do run people on the computer, but this isn't common for me.

And while on a traffic stop if I am out of my car, there's no way I am getting back into that death trap until the contact is done.

^^^This^^^ ... solo officers without a cover unit present should not be sitting in the car running people or property. .

Very bad officer safety ju-ju, IMO.

oddjob
06-28-2011, 9:41 PM
In my 31 1/2 years I have never heard a SSI number being run. I don't even think there is a data base to run/confirm a SSI number available to law enforcement. Is this something new??

IrishJoe3
06-28-2011, 10:04 PM
In my 31 1/2 years I have never heard a SSI number being run. I don't even think there is a data base to run/confirm a SSI number available to law enforcement. Is this something new??

This....I've never asked for a SSN in the field 'cause its a useless number to me, I can't do anything with it.

IrishJoe3
06-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Aside from the excellent advice given here on calguns

I LOLed right there....half the advice given by the resident tin foil masters would get you arrested. :p

emvampyre
06-28-2011, 11:27 PM
I LOLed right there....half the advice given by the resident tin foil masters would get you arrested. :p

The internet ninjas here and on other firearm sites are just amazing. "Don't talk to the police." Best advice I'ver ever heard. Please, don't talk to us. Don't answer our questions, about anything, ever. Don't call us for anything, ever. Not for an accident report, not for a burglary report, not for a rape report, not for a child abuse report. Don't report your car stolen, your childs bike stolen, your wife's purse stolen. Don't ask us to look for the missing property, don't ask us to find the individual(s) who commited these crimes. Do not speak to us EVER. I will still get my paycheck every 15 days, and I will go home with so much less stress in my life and my deputies whom I supervise will never have to run a report past me for approval. Maybe my hair will grow back and not be as grey as it is now. I know my wife and kids will be happier, I'll be able to take more days off and spend them putting rounds down range with my POLICE ONLY guns...

Have a nice day, press hard, 3 copies...

SVT-40
06-29-2011, 12:34 AM

This....I've never asked for a SSN in the field 'cause its a useless number to me, I can't do anything with it.

I agree totally worthless to law enforcement today. Now many years ago in some states your social was your DL number, but that was many decades ago...

Social security number ...Ha thats rich...

Many don't realize just how worthless that number is. I remember on many burglary investigations how proud the victim was when he told me he had engraved his social security number in all his stolen items...

Only to be told that there was no way to correlate the number to him as the social security dept will not release any info to Law Enforcement about who has a particular number issued to them...

About the only info they will tell you sometimes is if the person with a particular number is deceased or alive.

TrailerparkTrash
06-29-2011, 1:26 AM

Nope. Cops on bike patrol, motors, boats, foot beats,,,,, they don't have computers like the black & whites do. So, they will continue to use radio broadcasting to "run" people long after you, me and the old man at sea are all dead....

conanobrennan
06-29-2011, 1:59 AM
Dispatchers are often very busy folks, and officers try very hard to not irritate them of make their work load any larger than necessary.

+1

I worked as a dispatcher for two years. I'm confident I can do almost any job now considering the stress levels involved at times. It was a fun job but would not want as career.

Notorious
06-29-2011, 2:17 AM
I have never ever encountered nor used anyone's SSN during work and it's totally useless to me except as verification of ID if they provided it. I never asked for it, but some people do pull out their Social Security Card as ID and I tell them it's useless to me. Unlike a retail mall, I don't need 2 forms of ID to complete my transaction.

jerkyg
06-29-2011, 4:58 AM
That was actually a great question.

When on patrol...we used to ask and air the SS number to confirm a warrant...and/or ID.

Never even thought about it being aired.

Good point.

Stay safe...

BSlacker
06-29-2011, 6:43 AM
I have listened to a scanner in the several states I lived in over the decades and have never heard a SSN being broadcast. They use physical like tattoo and scars and such but never SSN. SSN is not ID. It is just a number, nobody left fingerprints or picture to get it. I can't imagine how you would use it for ID for law enforcement. For as everyone knows the SSN system is jacked big time. And it is funny how a bank worker can verify your SSN but LE can't. And at that they are just verifing that the name and number match and that there are not two using the same number. How does that help LE.
Could anyone point me to a case where a scanner was used as the source of a DL number that was used in a crime. The occurence has to be low. :)

jerkyg
06-29-2011, 8:30 AM
We always asked dispatch to confirm a warrant with a SS number.

Just was my two cents...

Stay safe...

Falstaff
06-29-2011, 11:18 AM
While it may still be true that pd's can't/wont verify SSI numbers with the Feds, (who knows though with patriot act). The fact remains that CLETS does maintain SSI entries and police often broadcast SSI numbers and names over the air which is not a good idea, heck you don't even need an expensive digital scanner to monitor many police depts.All you need is an Internet connection or a smart phone. I'm surprised by some of the leos here are saying they've never used SS#s for their whole careers because I've heard it myself many times on my scanner. Perhaps it's a regional thing?

Notorious
06-29-2011, 11:25 AM
I verify warrants without the need for SSN. But then again, the last batch I caught were all for illegal aliens so there was no SSN to verify anyway. So it can be done and I do it out of necessity all the time.

oddjob
06-29-2011, 2:52 PM
I'm retired now, but the data bases that had SS#'s were the CII (rap sheet), parole/probation status and arrest warrants. In either case the suspect was more likely to steal someone else's ID and not the other way around.

Police reports (old days) didn't ask for SS# numbers at all. If one hears a SS# on the air its probably an arrest warrant verification, probation/parole status inquiry.

I remember people engraving their SS# on TV sets, stereos, guns, tools & etc. They were giving their SS# away every time their stuff was stolen or sold. I do remember property items run over the air with people's SS#.

Falstaff
06-29-2011, 8:12 PM
I suppose this is a big nothing burger because the average "subject" dumb enough to give their SSI number to the police doesnt have much of an identity worth stealing anyways!