PDA

View Full Version : Magazine plug question

vinny_land
06-17-2011, 8:18 PM
:pinch: I feel like an idiot asking this question so please forgive me if this annoys you. Been on a AR, pistol, and reloading frenzy lately and have completely ignored the use of my beloved shotgun. Went to go shoot clays today with my plain jane 18" Remington 870. Im shooting on private land (owner's permission). Talked with my coworker later today and he said I needed to have a plug on my shotgun since I am near hunting grounds (west of Bakersfield, passed I-5). So here i did some reading and Im going to make my own. Does the magazine plug need to be a specific color? Saw some on Brownells and Midway and they are either green/orange. Im making a plug out of this leftover aluminum straw or wooden dowels laying in my garage. Also is the capacity on hunting grounds 3+1?

Vincent

coyotebait
06-17-2011, 8:48 PM
:pinch: I feel like an idiot asking this question so please forgive me if this annoys you. Been on a AR, pistol, and reloading frenzy lately and have completely ignored the use of my beloved shotgun. Went to go shoot clays today with my plain jane 18" Remington 870. Im shooting on private land (owner's permission). Talked with my coworker later today and he said I needed to have a plug on my shotgun since I am near hunting grounds (west of Bakersfield, passed I-5). So here i did some reading and Im going to make my own. Does the magazine plug need to be a specific color? Saw some on Brownells and Midway and they are either green/orange. Im making a plug out of this leftover aluminum straw or wooden dowels laying in my garage. Also is the capacity on hunting grounds 3+1?

Vincent

Hunting capacity is 2+1. Never heard of any law saying that you had to have a plug when target shooting near hunting grounds, I could be wrong though. I'm also not aware of a specific color plug. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with the knowledge and enlightenment. ;-)

prc77
06-17-2011, 8:50 PM
hunting cap is 2+1 you can use anything that will limit the mag to 2 rounds. Its not like you can see the plug. From the factory it comes with a 1/4 dowel.

mjsweims
06-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Game wardens are allowed on private property to enforce hunting regs. If it looks like you have been or could have been hunting then you better have a plug and avoid the possibility of a hassle. Plug can be made of anything and any color as long as the capacity is limited to 2+1.
Most game wardens I've run across when hunting are pretty decent guys.

vinny_land
06-18-2011, 12:06 AM
Just made one right now. 10 inches of aluminum rod, simple and clean. Thanks guys!

motorwerks
06-18-2011, 12:43 AM
this is all stuff I hadn't thought of I take my 11-87 out like this all the time with a 7 shot capacity. :eek:

JagerDog
06-18-2011, 1:42 AM
Hunting in CA, needs 2+1. Shooting targets, there's no capacity requirement.