PDA

View Full Version : Police Academy Incident

Tacit Blue
06-17-2011, 8:02 PM
So my friend is a attending a Police Academy in the San Diego area, and i just got a phone call from him yesterday. He told me that he was in a gas chamber, on a Military base. And that he become dizzy and disoriented and fell outside on a rock pile and had a seizure:eek: Now he says his Jaw is wired closed.. I feel terrible for him..

I was wondering if its a normal thing for them to use a ' Gas Chamber' i mean i know everyone gets sprayed with O.C Spray and/or Tazer'd. But what about being exposed to riot agents in a chamber?

Cokebottle
06-17-2011, 8:09 PM
Routine for military, I wasn't aware they did it for LE.

My brother ended up needing sinus surgery before the chamber routine... and he was in the reserves (full time student at UCI, went on to get a PhD out of UCR).

Roddd
06-17-2011, 8:10 PM
Yup, it's standard training. Everyone gets exposed to OC and CS from pepperball guns, grenades and spray, both outside and inside a building (the gashouse). It's by far the worst part of the academy. Atleast he didn't have to get sprayed by the OC, I felt that for hours. I hope he's doing better. Tell him to keep training, it's all downhill after the chemical agent section of the academy.

Tacit Blue
06-17-2011, 8:16 PM
Yeah. Hes prior Army Service, so i'm not sure what went wrong? He's done this before.

Now hes medically disqualified, and sitting at home with this injury.. Told to heal up and come back, the staff of the academy came and saw him at the Hospital. But wow!

fullrearview
06-17-2011, 8:18 PM
OC sucked... Didn't kick in on me for about 30-45 seconds, but as soon as it did, I was a little girl. I think my catipilar eyebrows soaked up a bunch of it....

Gas was easy. Mission statement, 40 pushups 30 three count jumping jacks... They got tired and sent me out. It's a pure mental thing with gas... You think your not getting air but you are. CN and CS.

epilepticninja
06-17-2011, 9:00 PM
I got the chamber when I was stationed in South Korea in the late 80's. You go in, sit there in your gas mask for a spell, then they tell you take them off. That's when the fun starts. They used CS in our exercises as well. You prayed your training filter still had good charcoal in it. When I went thru OC pepper training at my old department, we sprayed it into a bag, and put it up to our face. Good stuff.

Triad
06-17-2011, 9:20 PM
I had to fight the red man for 5 minutes after I got OC'd, I still have nightmares about that day - ....I hate the OC we carry, I don't even carry it on my belt anymore.

I hate it.

CN/CS was easy peasy. But I hate OC.

Roddd
06-17-2011, 9:24 PM
That sucks he has to start over.

anthonyca
06-17-2011, 9:26 PM
Wow, poor guy. I'm not a LEO but I did the chamber in the Army. Did he have an allergic reaction? I've never heard of such a bad reaction.

ankyle62
06-17-2011, 9:42 PM
Gas chamber is just a brick building where they set off a CS gas thing and let you gain confidence in your equipment. Im guessing it's the one at miramar, that sucks big time. CS gas can be a kick in the nuts, I could see that bringing out some underling health problems.

Jonathan Doe
06-17-2011, 9:42 PM
When I was an instructor at the weapons training, I had a few incidents when some recruits pass out and fall head first. Some of them required some stitches. I am glad that there were no real serious medical/emergency issues.

Outta Control
06-17-2011, 9:46 PM
Yup, it's standard training. Everyone gets exposed to OC and CS from pepperball guns, grenades and spray, both outside and inside a building (the gashouse). It's by far the worst part of the academy. Atleast he didn't have to get sprayed by the OC, I felt that for hours. I hope he's doing better. Tell him to keep training, it's all downhill after the chemical agent section of the academy.

What he said. It is standard. I've been gassed more than once (6) I believe and sprayed once as that was enough for me. :)

1911su16b870
06-17-2011, 9:59 PM
I had to fight the red man for 5 minutes after I got OC'd, I still have nightmares about that day - ....I hate the OC we carry, I don't even carry it on my belt anymore.

I hate it.

+1 me too. They made us open both eyes, squirted it right in both eyes then spell out our names, answer questions and then fight the DT instructors...I hate OC. My eyes felt dry for over 24 hours.

Knowing it was all mental got me through it!

Sorry to hear that Tacit...hopefully he can recycle in and realize his dream!

HoMa506
06-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Standard training and for me it paid off. One New Year's Eve someone set off a CS grenade in a crowded intersection. As our squad saw the smoke and went to check it out we got the whiff and knew it was no smoke bomb. No panic as we moved back into clear air. We remembered not to start rubbing and just waved our hands in front of our eyes to blow them out. Of course those in the intersection thought the end of the world was coming.

SVT-40
06-17-2011, 10:51 PM
His class was at Miramar?

I went to chemical agent instructor school there. We got gassed multiple times each day for a week. One day we were practicing shooting all sorts of gas CS, CN, OC into a metal "building"(conex box) which had holes cut in it to simulate windows. plywood window covers were hung in the windows so we we could shoot through them. Afterwards they marched all of us students into the "building" and shut the doors. It was to say the least very uncomfortable, but as said above 99% of ones reaction to gas is emotional.

Not fun, but interesting. Every day after class we would go to the hotel pool and just jump in BDU's and all. Trying to get some of the gas out so we would not gas our hotel rooms.

Too bad for your friend. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Notorious
06-18-2011, 12:20 AM
I went to the academy before the introduction of OC into policing. We got CS'ed in formation though for chemical weapons certification. No fun. I remember how evil that gas looked, the sick metallic blue tinge to the gas reflecting in the sun.

Ron-Solo
06-18-2011, 12:55 AM
Hope your friend gets better soon. The gas house is one of those dreaded parts of the academy. When I went thru, we didn't even get to wear a gas mask and had to negotiate the house and all it's obstacles after they threw in a couple of "triple chasers" which are basically three tear gas grenades into a 20x20 room full of old furniture.

johnthomas
06-18-2011, 1:35 AM
I went through the gas chamber at Fort Ord in 73, if anyone says it was a piece of cake, they are liars. That is the worse think I have gone through.

solanoshooter
06-18-2011, 2:21 AM

Agreed. I'd take gas over oc any time.

ironcross
06-18-2011, 3:27 AM
His class was at Miramar?

I went to chemical agent instructor school there. We got gassed multiple times each day for a week. One day we were practicing shooting all sorts of gas CS, CN, OC into a metal "building"(conex box) which had holes cut in it to simulate windows. plywood window covers were hung in the windows so we we could shoot through them. Afterwards they marched all of us students into the "building" and shut the doors. It was to say the least very uncomfortable, but as said above 99% of ones reaction to gas is emotional.

Not fun, but interesting. Every day after class we would go to the hotel pool and just jump in BDU's and all. Trying to get some of the gas out so we would not gas our hotel rooms.

Too bad for your friend. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Yeah it was at Miramar Regional LE Academy sponsored by MCAS Miramar.

Always thought you get CS'ed via spray and tased....

What am I looking forward to...

As they say, "The greatest show on earth" :D

But I'm ready!

Yet, I wouldn't mess with FOX Sprays....

Roddd
06-18-2011, 4:51 AM
Fortunately, at the academy you don't get hit by the tazer. The OC spray was by far the worst. In the gas house, we had partners and if you saw your partner pass out, you caught him. The OC spray was the worst, but I understand why they do it. I can't tell you how many officers I've seen in a fight when another officer runs up and deploys his OC. It takes the suspect out of the fight, and the officer. It's funny until it happens to you.

biochembruin
06-18-2011, 5:44 AM
Gas is not so bad. OC = the devil's urine.

CaptMike
06-18-2011, 6:39 AM
I've been CN gassed 1 time, CS gassed 1 time and OC'd 4 times in training. I have to say that I'm starting to get used to the OC. Although that Freeze+P stuff gave me a great warm feeling for a long time. Don't really want to get sprayed by that one again. Hope your buddy gets better soon and finishes the next academy.

BoJackUSMC
06-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Gas anytime & anyday, but OC= no thank you please.....

Jonathan Doe
06-18-2011, 7:20 PM
When I went through the FBI Chemical Weapons Instructor class, I was exposed to some kind of chemical agents everyday. In my opinion, the worst was OC spray. The instructor sprayed each of us for about 10 - 15 seconds instead 1 - 2 second burst. It stayed with me for a long time. It hurt again when I took shower at home that evening.

hitman13
06-18-2011, 7:54 PM
Unfortunate about your buddy.

CS exposure is normal, atleast at the acads in az.

For everyone else- next time your are OC'd try to decon with lemon juice. It WORKS WONDERS!!!

Spyder
06-18-2011, 8:03 PM
OC hurts me, bad, every time. Devils Urine is a good description...I always tell people that it feels like Satan took a sht on my face. That really is about the best description I've been able to come up with. CN and CS are uncomfortable and never fun...but I'd take both every day for a month before getting sprayed again.

retired
06-19-2011, 12:44 AM
Sorry to hear about your friend and I hope he recovers ok.

I too, went thru the academy prior to OC. We entered a small building with CS gas in it. The room had a maze in it and we did a dry run and were instructed to hold onto the PR-24 baton of the cadet in front of us.

Before they threw the gas inside, we were all standing outside with our shirt collars pulled up and buttoned at the top. They threw the gas into the room and the wind suddenly shifted, driving the gas at everyone in line from the exit.

Since the sprinklers were on down below us, we were told to go to them and wash our eyes out. When we were done, they had us enter the room thru the exit to get the full effect of the gas inside the room. Since we had all memorized the maze in the reverse, we all had problems and everyone dropped the baton of the one in front. It was like a Keystone Cops comedy but we all made it out of the building alive somehow.

Years later, I went thru OC training. Now I'm going to reveal something that Ron probably doesn't even know and I doubt if he went thru it, even tho we worked for the same dept. To this day, I have not figured out why it was done this way, but I thank my lucky stars that it did.

My class was the first one to have the OC class if IIRC. They had us line up facing each other and about 3' away. We were permitted to have our shirt buttoned to the top. We each had a can of the OC. First one side and then the other was told to spray the contents into the face of the person standing across from them. Since none of us wanted to be sprayed an inordinate amount of time by our "opponent," none of us sprayed for more than a second or so.:D

It turns out, the contents of each can contained WATER!!! Yes, that is what I said: WATER AND ONLY WATER! It was refreshing I tell you and we all had a good laugh; especially the instructors, who of course knew it was that before we sprayed each other.

The explanation was they wanted us to experience the effect of having something sprayed in our face. Why they didn't use OC was unknown, but guess what, none of us objected, nor questioned that.:D

Some years later, I saw a training video wherein one of the instructors was running toward the camera and was sprayed by another instructor with the real thing. Within seconds, he was on the ground with snot pouring out of his nose and whining that it hurt. I just couldn't figure him out since my memory of my experience just didn't go like that.;)

Just so you don't think I haven't experienced the effects of that wonderful OC, I did. When I worked the jail as a sgt., I had many experiences with the stuff since it was used quite frequently to break up inmates fighting with inmates and those attacking staff. I could get within 50' of the stuff and my eyes began watering and hurting and I felt I was going to cough up my guts. Then I had to go to the scene being the sgt. and really felt it then. Bad stuff.

415dog!
06-19-2011, 4:34 AM
Gas sucked but watching men turn into fat kids with skid knees was worth it.....+1 on OC sucking the most. Funny thing is it never works on suspects

SanPedroShooter
06-19-2011, 8:13 AM
+1 me too. They made us open both eyes, squirted it right in both eyes then spell out our names, answer questions and then fight the DT instructors...I hate OC. My eyes felt dry for over 24 hours.

Knowing it was all mental got me through it!

Sorry to hear that Tacit...hopefully he can recycle in and realize his dream!

I went throught the OC/fight the red man in boarding team traning in the Coast Guard. You had to fight and then draw your weapon and order the "suspect" to the ground... That was it. Of course, when you draw your weapon (a blue beretta 92) you had to have at least one open. There where guys holding the gun in one hand and their eye open with the other...

I was so amped, I didnt even feel it for about 30 seconds, then BAM! My eyes slammed shut, nose and mouth run literally like a faucet. The best I can describe it is like someone rubbing glass in your eye's. And of course a few hours later, you get whats I believe is called "flashback", and I swear the whole damn thing happened again...

We also watched a video of a guy freaking out after being sprayed and he actually broke the instructers leg, kicked him sideways in the knee...

I carry CS gas now, but I wonder if I should switch back to OC?

Camsnappersc
06-19-2011, 10:15 AM
I have to agree with most of you. The OC was by far the worst. I got off easy on the cn and cs, as we did not have a building to do it in.

hitman13
06-19-2011, 10:48 AM
I have to agree with most of you. The OC was by far the worst. I got off easy on the cn and cs, as we did not have a building to do it in.

Be thankful, a CS grenade in a small enclosed room makes military gas chambers look like preschool

fal_762x51
06-19-2011, 10:57 AM
The was a guy at my CS trainning that stopped in front of me, trying to hold his breath which blocked the exit. All I know there were people behind me yelling for me to move, but the instructor held on to him till he gulped a nice big lung full. It was classic, we are all cursing for him to move with snot and other fluids gushing from the face.

OC does suck, like hourly suck. If I had to do it again, taser me multiple times because the hurt was over once the electricity was turned off.

Dreaded Claymore
06-19-2011, 9:28 PM
OC does suck, like hourly suck. If I had to do it again, taser me multiple times because the hurt was over once the electricity was turned off.

So in other words, "Please tase me bro!"

Camsnappersc
06-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Be thankful, a CS grenade in a small enclosed room makes military gas chambers look like preschool

Oh I still had to do it, we just didnt do it in a small room.

Roccobro
06-28-2011, 1:37 AM
First day, last day, gas day. :)

Justin