PDA

View Full Version : Friend In Trouble....

Crowesnest
06-16-2011, 9:54 PM
I'm not sure if this is the best forum, but it pertains more or less to the castle doctrine, so here it goes......

Okay, so a friend of mine is in a bit of trouble. He's had a bit of drama at work with a coworker. That coworker sent four hoodlums to his apartment this evening after work and they drove up to his apartment and proceeded to threaten him. He retreated to his apartment and came back out, strapped and brandishing his pistol. This was still on his lawn in front of his apartment. Does the castle doctrine apply in this case and do they police have a case against him for any reason?

Thanks....

WILDMAN442
06-16-2011, 9:56 PM
Has he been contacted by police?

Unless they have a warrant I dont think so....

Have him contact CGF stat

Justin

Crowesnest
06-16-2011, 10:00 PM
He's calling the police to file a report. He wants them to know that he brandished only in self defense. I tried to urge caution, because you never know what the police may or may not do in these situations and you never volunteer more information than necessary.

Paladin
06-16-2011, 10:05 PM
i8z7NC5sgik

Here's the full link to email him ASAP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

Scratch705
06-16-2011, 10:05 PM
He's calling the police to file a report. He wants them to know that he brandished only in self defense. I tried to urge caution, because you never know what the police may or may not do in these situations and you never volunteer more information than necessary.

why did he even tell the police he brought a pistol back outside to confront the thugs? the cops/DA can take that action as your buddy was the aggressor since the thugs only said words. (at least that is how i think they might think). next time the buddy should just go back inside, video tape, and once they start onto the property either vandalizing or something then go out armed after calling the cops (but don't tell the thugs that so they stay around until it is too late)

of course this is all my opinion.

Oceanbob
06-16-2011, 10:06 PM

My advice (worth what you paid for it) is Not to call the police at all.

Tell your friend NEVER DO THAT AGAIN.

He must be really stupid to walk OUTSIDE his home with a loaded weapon.

Did I mention he should NOT file a report or call the police. ?...It can ONLY GO Against him if he does so.

Let it go.

He should stay in his apartment and not answer the door. If the other idiots in this drama threaten him, then he should call the police and REMAIN inside. When the police arrive tell him NOT TO HAVE THE WEAPON visable.

Then he can file a report.

bigcalidave
06-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Yeah, don't file a report
PLEASE
but be prepared to not say anything to them and hire a lawyer. No, you can not leave your house to fight someone outside and bring a pistol. They have to break into your house for a shooting to be self defense. Threatening someone with a gun isn't ok in CA.

mag360
06-16-2011, 10:10 PM
:ack2::hide:

6172crew
06-16-2011, 10:11 PM
I'd file, if he felt his life is in danger.

Connor P Price
06-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Sounds to me like he broke the law. He should contact a lawyer first and foremost, one well versed in firearms laws like Jason Davis, anyone at CD Michel and Associates, or Donald Kilmer, whoever is closest to him. An attorney should be the only person instructing him on how to proceed.

INJUNTOM
06-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Yep, definate no - no to walk back out front. He should have went in and locked the doors...call police if they don't leave after that, then be prepared with the weapon if they come in after him.

Thank god they didn't make him shoot one of them out front because he most likely would have gotten a murder charge since he went in and came back out with the weapon...

bigcalidave
06-16-2011, 10:16 PM
If he files a report that says he walked out with a gun to confront them it could go bad. If anything ever happens, and he filed the report, they will assume that yet again he instigated the violence by approaching THEM with a gun.

Oceanbob
06-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Several reasons not to involve the Police at this time.

1. 4 against one saying he started something.

2. Brandishing outside your home will cause the Police to arrest your friend.

3. He will lose his GUN rights

4. He will have to pay an attorney

5. He will go bankrupt with fees, fines and attorney costs.

6. He will lose his GUN rights.

Apparently you haven't noticed other lethargic Dullards who did the same thing decades ago when they were young and full of fight.

They lost their gun rights and come to Cal Guns dot net to find out they will never be able to buy a gun again. We all shake our head and offer up sympathy....so don't let your friend be a dumba#s.

Know the law.

Stonewalker
06-16-2011, 10:21 PM
DOOD. File a report so at least the police know who your friend is if anything bad happens down the road. That complaint will go a long way if SHTF.

Your friend is in a bad situation... most DAs would love to prosecute somebody for firing a "warning shot". They would argue that you weren't in fear for you life because you didn't fire AT the bad guys. Tell him to try to stay in his home if this sh** goes down again and wait for them to try to enter his home. He will be much safer both practically and legally if he has to use a gun.

ETA: ARG! Forget what I said about filing a report... DO NOT file a report admitting to a crime. But it will help to let the police know that some people are threatening you... at least I believe so.

bob7122
06-16-2011, 10:22 PM
IANAL

unless his life is in danger to file a report and if he does file a report have an attorney present.

just my thoughts, don't take this as legal advice, etc,etc,

Scratch705
06-16-2011, 10:24 PM
lets hope the friend was smart and decided to leave out the part where he came back out armed?

and wtf kind of workplace is there where a argument at work got thugs sent to his house? suggest he file a harassment complaint at work too and get that guy fired.

anthonyca
06-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Keep us informed please. If he went outside to confront them with a gun he broke the law. If he files a report and tells the whole truth the cops and da have a 100% conviction and they are NOT there to help you. The truth often sucks in CA.

luckystrike
06-16-2011, 10:27 PM
just dont mention that little part.

Falconis
06-16-2011, 10:29 PM
One thing your friend has going for him is that the 4 thugs came to his house where I am sure they had no business. That is a huge factor in of itself. IANAL either, but I would think that would go a long way into your friend's fear argument.

My vote would be to call the police and atleast tell them 4 people came to your house and threatened you.

In the end, your friend has to do what he is comfortable with. Contacting an attorney is not a bad idea either.

Maestro Pistolero
06-16-2011, 10:31 PM
Tough situation. He should not have come back out armed. If he doesn't file, and they do, it is four against one. If he does file, he will likely go to jail, because the thugs are going to tell the police that he brandished. And if he didn't tell the police, then there will be a presumption of guilt.

At this point I would probably keep my mouth shut, and talk to an attorney before ANYTHING.

Librarian
06-16-2011, 10:33 PM
I hope your friend is, and will be, OK.

But enough advice...