PDA

View Full Version : Stupid AK flat.

jumbopanda
12-20-2006, 6:58 PM
This has got me stumped. I bent an AK flat, but as soon as I remove the centerpiece with the bent flat from the jig, the sides bouce back roughly 5 degrees. So now the "receiver" has flared-out sides and I can't seem to get them to be parallel. What is the problem? It might also be worth noting that I'm using a 1050 steel flat. Is this type of steel just more springy or what?

Tyler
12-20-2006, 7:40 PM
I don't think that should matter. Once you rivet that puppy together it will be fine. The center support alone should get it to be where it should be.

CSACANNONEER
12-20-2006, 7:42 PM
What kind of jig are you using? Also, would it be possible to rent/borrow it to bend a few?

jumbopanda
12-20-2006, 7:56 PM
I don't think that should matter. Once you rivet that puppy together it will be fine. The center support alone should get it to be where it should be.

Well not if it's off by a significant amount. Although I did manage to fix it by sticking it in a vise and bending it a little farther than its supposed to be and then letting it bounce back. So its pretty close now. Close enough to straighten itself out once everything is installed like you said.

And I'm using an AK-builder.com jig.

JHC
12-20-2006, 8:19 PM
Thats just the way sheetmetal is, it will always springback a couple of degrees, is this a Tapco flat? AK builder is selling economy flats that are of a softer steel and doesn't seem to suffer from as much springback, the bends can be adjusted by hand even.. Either way, once you have the front trunion rivited in it will all be as it should.

AJAX22
12-21-2006, 2:28 PM
I'm also down for bending a flat if you decide to rent/lend the tooling. I've got a receiver flat that I'm never going to get around to buying a jig to bend up.

K9paulc
12-21-2006, 7:04 PM
Is it Ok to bend a flat here in our great State???

I was under the impression that it is a No No here. Can someone clarify this for me?:confused:

Thanks on advance!

grammaton76
12-21-2006, 7:07 PM
Is it Ok to bend a flat here in our great State???

I was under the impression that it is a No No here. Can someone clarify this for me?:confused:

Thanks on advance!

Folks have cautioned against it, in the event of a List (tm), due to the fact that Harrott protection probably doesn't apply to bent receivers. In short, "it's an AK series weapon" may well apply to bent flats. I'm not very concerned about that, particularly after Jan 1st.

I've got a flat bending jig, but frankly I haven't bothered to use it yet because I've got a number of 100% receivers and there are issues with heat treatment that I need to work out to my satisfaction (which means don't bug me, blowtorch brigade!) before I'd consider using it.

bwiese
12-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Wait til Jan 1.

Chrism1438
12-22-2006, 9:34 AM
why are we waiting till Jan 1st?

AJAX22
12-22-2006, 10:15 AM
I don't know why we're waiting for the 1st, but its driving me crazy, 12:01 am of January 2nd I want to know whats up or I'm going dingbats man.

;)

RANGER295
12-23-2006, 9:26 PM
I don't know why we're waiting for the 1st, but its driving me crazy, 12:01 am of January 2nd I want to know whats up or I'm going dingbats man.

;)

+1 All I know about is that law that goes into effect making it so that they cant list anymore and the thing where you can plead to a misdemeanor/infraction or whatever it is (I am too tired to look and donít remember off the top of my head) for AW possession. I should add that is if the DA is feeling friendly. But as to the surprises that Bill and especially Gene have been hinting toÖ I cant wait to find out.