PDA

View Full Version : Any good pro-2A self-defense lawyers?

hornswaggled
06-16-2011, 9:21 PM
Not in any trouble, just finished reading that "After You Shoot" book which suggests that the time to line up a defense attorney as a gun owner is before you need to engage in a self-defense act. Seems like good advice to me in that the last thing you want to do after something like that is to be scrambling for a lawyer or even worse going with a public defender.

Has anyone had experience with finding or retaining good self-defense counsel who understands 2A rights and wouldn't defend a law-abiding armed citizen the same as he would a gangbanger on his second strike?

wildhawker
06-16-2011, 9:23 PM
See www.calgunsfoundation.org/hotline.

CGF HOTLINE - WHAT DO I DO IF I NEED HELP ON A FIREARM-RELATED LEGAL ISSUE?

If you have a firearms-related legal issue in California email us at hotline@calgunsfoundation.org or call (800) 556-2109.

In Case of Encounter, Detainment or Arrest:

1. Remain Silent - Do Not Answer Questions
2. Do Not Consent to a Search
3. Demand an Attorney
4. Call CGF at (800) 556-2109

YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO VOLUNTEER INFORMATION OR OPEN LOCKED CONTAINERS!

If you need immediate legal assistance, please contact an attorney.

For your convenience, below are two firms which are familiar with firearms law.

Northern California:

Law Offices of Donald Kilmer, A Professional Corporation
1645 Willow Street, Suite 150
San Jose, CA 95125
info@dklawoffice.com
T: (408) 264-8489
F: (408) 264-8487

Southern California:

Davis and Associates
27281 Las Ramblas, Suite 200
Mission Viejo, CA 92691
info@calgunlawyers.com
T: 949.310.0817
F: 949.288.6894

hornswaggled
06-16-2011, 9:35 PM
Even for self-defense acts?

Helpful_Cub
06-16-2011, 9:53 PM
Even for self-defense acts?

Yes. Beyond being in fear of your life, anything else you say can and will be used against you. CYA early and avoid potential jail time.

L84CABO
06-16-2011, 10:42 PM
You do want to say as little as possible but certain things do need to be communicated...especially as it pertains to evidence or witnesses that can clear you. Such as:

Officer, I'm the one who called you.

That man tried to kill me.

His gun is over there. You'll find his spent casings under that bush.

Those people are witnesses.

I want to cooperate in every way but will not say anything else until I speak to my attorney.

Connor P Price
06-16-2011, 11:02 PM
In addition to the two law firms that Brandon mentioned, I think we can all agree that Michel and Associates are good as well.

http://michellawyers.com/

A few of those guys are fairly regular posters in the 2A forum here and have a winning record. Between Jason Davis, Donald Kilmer, and CD Michel and associates, I would have no qualms calling any of them if I found myself in legal trouble thanks to an officer not understanding firearms as well as he should.

wildhawker
06-17-2011, 2:49 AM
In the Sacto area, Adam Richards is a wonderful contact to have handy.

edwardm
06-17-2011, 9:32 AM
Unless there are firearm-specific issues that come up, defense of self or of others is really not and area where you need counsel versed in the nuances of firearms law. If other matters arise, i.e. the shooting is with an OLL and the DA wants to tack on AW charges for the shooter, then yes, you should consult with CGF and/or Don/Chuck, etc. Even then, they may be able to simply consult or supply necessary information and references to your chosen counsel to get them over the 'hump' of the firearms issue, while dealing with the overall self-defense matters.

IGOTDIRT4U
06-17-2011, 11:08 AM
In addition to the attorneys/firms mentioned above, for So Cal I highly recommend Bruce Colodny, 714-463-6767.

Bruce is a very experienced firearms and self defense/use of force lawyer.