PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on Eotech and shotguns.

OHOD
06-16-2011, 6:02 PM
So I got my Mossberg 590 12 ga. Mariner.
I like it! Brought it out to the woods the other day and shot up some snow. :cool: (don't ask :p)

I was thinking about adding a rail to the receiver and installing my Eotech 560 holographic weapons sight.

My question:

Before I go buying stuff, has anyone done this and does it work well?

06-16-2011, 6:26 PM
I have been contemplating the exact same thing - - well almost. I plan on putting a rail on my 870 and then a Leopold delta point red dot.

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/deltapoint-reflex-sights/deltapoint-reflex-sight/

Bongos
06-16-2011, 6:31 PM
The popular way to go is a Doc Optics, can't see why a Eotech won't work

BigDogatPlay
06-16-2011, 6:38 PM
It'll work, most likely quite well. EOTech is plenty rugged enough. Assuming that you intend to do a lot of slug shooting at longer distances, it's a good tool for the job. Buckshot at HD ranges, it's overkill and not a good solution, IMO.

racerguy180
06-16-2011, 7:16 PM
I have an XPS on my Benelli and I love it!

If you dont already have a side saddle, get the mesa holder with top rail.

esskay
06-16-2011, 8:32 PM
Eotech rides kinda high. If I were putting a red dot on a shotgun, I'd prefer to get it as low as possible like an Aimpoint T-1/H-1. For shotgun, I'd want to preserve the ingrained feel of mounting it and pointing it naturally.

bjl333
06-17-2011, 12:01 AM
IMO it'll take away from the pointing abilities of a shotgun. Shooting a shotgun really doesn't involve aiming at close distants. If you plan to shoot your SD/HD shotgun further then 30yds I'd say get a rifle. The open chokes on a SD/HD shotgun will have the pattern spread out too thin. Learn to point shoot the shotgun and stay away from aiming it like a rifle. But thats just me!! Good Luck ...

tgriffin
06-17-2011, 12:05 AM
Don't do it. Too high off bore.

dogtrainer
06-17-2011, 7:57 AM
You will have to add a cheek piece to allow for the proper weld of your cheek to the stock. You can make your own.

Once your eye (with the aid of the cheek piece) is properly aligned with the center of the sight both aiming and pointing will be one in the same;when you point and then switch over to aiming you will see the proper alignment of your eye to the sight-- to the target.

Go for it.

hcbr
06-17-2011, 1:28 PM
ditto on bjl333 and tgriffin have said, it's no point on putting that on a shotgun, don't get me wrong i've seen some nice red optics that do a good job, but mark me as a traditional guy who trusts the traditional optics, and save the eotech for your rifle!

knucklehead0202
06-17-2011, 9:45 PM
it's a shotgun. looks cool, don't really need it. i clipped a truglo on the barrel of my defender. that works fine. fancy=fail unless you just want it to look neat. otherwise, choose function over form. i have a defender 7+1 18.5" with a choate pistol-grip stock, spacers removed for about a 13" LOP, a Hogue forend(required some fitting, PM me for advice), and the aforementioned Truglo fiber optic clip-on. i may add a light and/or sidesaddle, but aside from that, it fits, it functions, and hits what needs to be hit. accessories add weight by the way, and a red-dot or holographic sight seems redundant on a "scatter"gun anyhow.

prc77
06-17-2011, 9:48 PM
Eotech rides kinda high. If I were putting a red dot on a shotgun, I'd prefer to get it as low as possible like an Aimpoint T-1/H-1. For shotgun, I'd want to preserve the ingrained feel of mounting it and pointing it naturally.

What he said

CmpsdNoMore
06-18-2011, 7:59 AM
Does anyone have experience with "rib rider" mounts?
http://www.aimtech-mounts.com/Rib%20Riders.htm

I have an Aimpoint micro that's just sitting around (no rifle for it) and I was thinking that it may be nice to use with slugs during deer season. Since it would primarily be used for hunting deer (maybe the occasional pheasant), it wouldn't need to stand up to hundreds of rounds.