PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you plan on open carrying before AB 144 becomes law?

Pred
06-16-2011, 2:46 PM
First off let me just say i hope this bill does not become law. But anyways iv never opened carried but iv been thinking about giving it a try before it becomes illegal. Do you guys plan on doing something like this? Or have u already been open carrying for some time now? Or have u never opened carried and never plan on doing it?

Bhobbs
06-16-2011, 2:51 PM
No. There are way too many schools around my house and I don't know where they all are. I wouldn't want to risk my 2A rights over something that is going to be banned anyways.

jerryballs
06-16-2011, 2:54 PM
no I think it gives a negative opinion of gun ownership to the rest of the world. I understand its our right, But it comes with challenges and many of those Run ins create bigger than necessary issues and paint us in a negative light and is sometimes more damaging

glock_this
06-16-2011, 2:55 PM
nope. To much risk, no enough reward just to make that statement.

triplestack3
06-16-2011, 2:59 PM
No way, not taking the chance.

Pred
06-16-2011, 3:00 PM
I just dont get how they can (try to) pass a bill that bans open carry when the 2A says "the right of the people to keep and BEAR Arms, shall not be infringed"

CSACANNONEER
06-16-2011, 3:00 PM
Never had the desire to show my ace in the hole before I needed to.

Bhobbs
06-16-2011, 3:01 PM
I just dont get how they can (try to) pass a bill that bans open carry when the 2A says "the right of the people to keep and BEAR Arms, shall not be infringed"

Because the extent of that right has not been established yet.

CalBear
06-16-2011, 3:09 PM
Did it once. I'm not in a school zone. I did the laundry at night while carrying in my apt complex. Probably the one and only time I'll UOC.

CCWFacts
06-16-2011, 3:17 PM
I would not do it in California. I don't want to upset people or attract attention, even if it's legal and I have a right to do it. Too many other ways to spend my time and places to put my energy.

GrizzlyGuy
06-16-2011, 3:22 PM
Only as necessary to lawfully transport a handgun between my house and the national forest when not traveling via motor vehicle and not on my way to hunt (in which case it would be concealed). No worries, guns don't cause very much drama up here anyway.

CitaDeL
06-16-2011, 3:31 PM
First off let me just say i hope this bill does not become law. But anyways iv never opened carried but iv been thinking about giving it a try before it becomes illegal. Do you guys plan on doing something like this? Or have u already been open carrying for some time now? Or have u never opened carried and never plan on doing it?

I began open carrying in about 2005, so once the bill is passed I will take every opportunity to comply with the law and carry my handgun in the most ready state that is lawful, until AB144 is put into effect. After that time, I will loaded open carry where it remains lawful.

no I think it gives a negative opinion of gun ownership to the rest of the world. I understand its our right, But it comes with challenges and many of those Run ins create bigger than necessary issues and paint us in a negative light and is sometimes more damaging

Carrying a gun that you own gives a negative opinion of gun ownership? And why would anyone care what the rest of the world (ie; other nations) thinks? Please re-read what you wrote and ask yourself why you are on a second amendment forum. The second amendment is not the right to clean and oil 'safe queens'. If you cant keep and bear, you are doing it wrong.

While I understand the mass events promoting open carry have had some undesired effects in the legislature, just how does individual open carry erode the general public's opinion of gun ownership? Have you noticed that the accounts of negative police encounters have tapered off considerably? Do you think it is from people ceasing open carry activity, or from the police becoming more accustomed to the practice?

rugershooter
06-16-2011, 4:14 PM
I've been UOC'ing for a while and recently started doing it more. If AB144 becomes law, then I will do LOC where legal and OC a fixed blade knife where legal. The 2A isn't just limited to firearms, and I will continue to bear arms anyway legal.

I think there's a line that we guns owners need to draw between refraining from exercising our rights in order to avoid offending people and basically saying "F** it, I'm doing it anyways, if they don't like it that's their problem". That ranges anywhere from using a PC firearm for self defense or as a truck gun for fear of being painted as a Rambo type, to refraining to bear arms as legally allowed by the Penal Code.

For me, that line is essentially this: I will exercise my rights to the fullest extent of the law regardless of what people think, and I'm going to be as polite as possible when doing it so as to show people that someone exercising his gun rights shouldn't be feared.

Anchors
06-16-2011, 7:01 PM
I like LOC in real states.
I have never UOC'd in California and I probably won't.

I open carry and CCW in Arizona when I'm there and they are both great.

If you want to get it out of your system, a quick drive to NV/AZ will do it.
But right now UOC isn't going to help you defend yourself or help us politically.

That is just my opinion though, I have no problem with UOC'ers

vantec08
06-16-2011, 7:16 PM
Nope. Not an open carry fan.

aklover_91
06-16-2011, 7:34 PM
Noooooo. Tactically, right now is one of the worst times to UOC.

coolusername2007
06-16-2011, 7:48 PM
But anyways iv never opened carried but iv been thinking about giving it a try before it becomes illegal.

Hop on over to www.opencarry.org. Then navigate to the CA sub-forum. You'll likely find someone over there who will open carry with you (and show you the ropes to keep you legal).