PDA

View Full Version : What would it take to get Nevada to recognize CA CCWs?

Big Ben
06-16-2011, 9:47 AM
The recent news that Nevada will be recognizing Arizona CCWs got me thinking about the issue. So, what would need to happen to get Nevada to recognize California issued CCW permits?

(I know it is fairly easy to get a non-resident Utah, Arizona, Florida permit, and I am also aware of the national reciprocity bill that is floating around in the House. That's not the point of this thread; I'm interested in learning what happened to get NV to accept AZ permits, and how we might accomplish the same thing for CA.)

ccmc
06-16-2011, 9:53 AM
A better question is what would it take to get CA to recognize any other state's permits. I'm surprised CA permits are recognized anywhere beyond CA's borders given that CA recognizes no others states.

E Pluribus Unum
06-16-2011, 9:55 AM
Nevada seems to recognize those states that recognize theirs... if we get California to recogize a NV permit (good luck), they should reciprocate...

ccmc
06-16-2011, 10:06 AM
Nevada seems to recognize those states that recognize theirs... if we get California to recogize a NV permit (good luck), they should reciprocate...

Not true. The state that does this is Florida. Nevada stopped recognizing Florida after Florida went to a seven year CWFL from five years, a stupid reason IMHO. So Florida dropped Nevada. Florida is actually pretty aggressive about seeking reciprocity with other states having added Iowa and Nebraska recently. No coincidence that Florida congressman Stearns (R) puts up the national reciprocity bill every year in the House.

Untamed1972
06-16-2011, 10:10 AM
I think the only reason some states recognize CA's permit is because those state's laws are written to accept ANY state issued permit.

So either NV would have to change it's law to accept all permits issued by ANY state, or it would have to enter a mutual reciprocity agreement with CA, but that would mean CA would have to allow NV permit holders to carry in CA. Since CA will barely allow CA residents to carry in CA.....the reciprocity agreement is not likely to happen....not yet anyway.

Crom
06-16-2011, 10:13 AM
For CA permits to be valid in Nevada...I recall reading somewhere that Nevada wanted the ability to access the CA CCW DOJ database to validate permits. And CA was not willing to make that happen... so no reciprocity for CA residents in Nevada.

dieselpower
06-16-2011, 10:23 AM
For CA permits to be valid in Nevada...I recall reading somewhere that Nevada wanted the ability to access the CA CCW DOJ database to validate permits. And CA was not willing to make that happen... so no reciprocity for CA residents in Nevada.

this is what I was told as well. NV wanted to make sure the CCW was just NOT being handed out to a person who had money or fame. that the person actually was vetted in some way.

NV would never accept AZs law that anyone can CCW, but they will accept an AZ CCW because the permit holder was vetted in some way.

I don't know if this is true or not, I as well as many people believe if you contribute enough money or make a cool Hollywood movie you get a free CCW no questions asked...and NV believes this as well.

bruss01
06-16-2011, 1:56 PM
this is what I was told as well. NV wanted to make sure the CCW was just NOT being handed out to a person who had money or fame. that the person actually was vetted in some way.

NV would never accept AZs law that anyone can CCW, but they will accept an AZ CCW because the permit holder was vetted in some way.

I don't know if this is true or not, I as well as many people believe if you contribute enough money or make a cool Hollywood movie you get a free CCW no questions asked...and NV believes this as well.

I think you're partly right.

If I'm not mistaken, it's the background check and the training requirement. That was why they dropped Utah... insufficient training req. It may be valid that they have to be able to verify non-resident permits... that would make sense but it's not something I have heard until now.

Anchors
06-16-2011, 6:59 PM

100% correct.

NV couldn't care less about handing out CCWs only to privileged persons.
They want the 24/7 database access and if they don't get it, they will NOT budge.

I think you're partly right.

If I'm not mistaken, it's the background check and the training requirement. That was why they dropped Utah... insufficient training req. It may be valid that they have to be able to verify non-resident permits... that would make sense but it's not something I have heard until now.

The reason NV never recognized AZ is because AZ didn't have the 24/7 online database available for NV law enforcement to validate AZ permits.
Nevada requires live-fire and 24/7 database access.
Arizona CCWs do require live-fire as per AZ DPS (Department Public Safety).
That is a fact, contrary to what some people here have said.
AZ will call and make sure you did live-fire training. The only time they won't is if you were in the military or you have another state's CCW. Then they'll let it slide I believe.