PDA

View Full Version : Choke Question

temilotzin21
06-16-2011, 9:03 AM
I just got a '24 barrel for my Mossberg 500 and it came with three chokes: full, mod and imp cyn. I want to shoot trap with it and I was wondering which one I should use? Keep in mind I have only shot trap and skeet once each, so I am not good, and want a beginner set up that will maximize my chances of actually hitting stuff. Thanks guys

BigDogatPlay
06-16-2011, 9:40 AM
24 inch is considered by some to be too short for trap. I use that same barrel on my 500 for trap, skeet and clays and have had very good results. I actually prefer a shorter barrel than what is considered the norm, but YMMV. The 24 inch is also a very good length, for me anyway, for turkeys (using an extra full or 'Turkey' choke) and upland bird hunting.

For trap, use the Modified tube to start with, it'll get the job done for you at 16 yards. As you get more experienced, or shoot handicap (farther back from the house) you'll want to move to a tighter choke. For skeet I'd start with the Improved Cylinder.

temilotzin21
06-16-2011, 9:59 AM
24 inch is considered by some to be too short for trap. I use that same barrel on my 500 for trap, skeet and clays and have had very good results. I actually prefer a shorter barrel than what is considered the norm, but YMMV. The 24 inch is also a very good length, for me anyway, for turkeys (using an extra full or 'Turkey' choke) and upland bird hunting.

For trap, use the Modified tube to start with, it'll get the job done for you at 16 yards. As you get more experienced, or shoot handicap (farther back from the house) you'll want to move to a tighter choke. For skeet I'd start with the Improved Cylinder.

Right on! Thanks BDP.:)

JagerDog
06-16-2011, 11:19 AM

On da money. if there's one consistent fault in shotgunning, it's too much choke. But then, I tend to shoot pretty quick.

Newshooter
06-16-2011, 1:22 PM
For a true "beginner", I would start out with the IC. Once you get better, move up to the modified and once you are rocking 25's, full and forget it!

sargenv
06-16-2011, 2:01 PM
I tend to go with the advice given by BigDogatPlay.. Modified for Trap @ 16 yards, Improved for skeet.

temilotzin21
06-17-2011, 7:11 AM
Thanks for the advice Calgunners!