PDA

View Full Version : Making my Remington1100 Tacticool

Fireproofsafe
06-16-2011, 9:37 AM
I have a Remington1100 classic trap that I want to convert into a tacticool:cool2: set up. I called Remington and they are telling me I need to hit out 2 notches on the existing mag tube in order to add the extended spring for the extended mag tube. Once this is done i cannot revert to the original configuration. Has anyone had experience with this type of project??? Any feedback would help. Thanks in advance!

BigDogatPlay
06-16-2011, 10:06 AM
Wouldn't surprise me at all that Remington would have dimpled the mag tube to fix the mag capacity. I've tinkered with a number of 1100's but never a classic trap and none of the ones I've worked on had any issues with adding an extension. If it was me I'd sell the classic trap, assuming it's in good shape, to someone who would treasure it for what it is and go find a standard 1100 or 11-87 and bubba that out.

If you are definitely going to use that gun for the tacticool purpose, shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to buy the furniture from you if it's in good shape. I just bought a very clean 1100 field gun that I am building into a trap gun and I'd love to have the furniture from a classic trap model.

motorwerks
06-16-2011, 10:49 AM
LOL Remington is being dumb. Theres a couple of ways to get rid of the dimples. Before I knew about the second one I drilled out the dimples, It works fine and I can still put it back to stock Its just a matter of the cap doesn't lock into the tabs when you put it back to stock. It works just fine with out them though. You can also fit a wooden dowel into the mag hole and hit it with a hammer and it is supposed to push them back out. But there is also a tool built just for this.

Heres mine it started as an 11-87 with a wood stock and a 26 inch barrel. She still does double duty between Skeet/trap and 3 gun and has a fun list of mods. :D

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e62/motorwerks/Guns/DSC_2535.jpg

since this picture it got a Daves metal works charging handle, and a factory Remington mag extension. Sorry about the kind of crappy picture but you get the idea.

aippi
06-16-2011, 11:15 AM
You are about to mess up a fine weapon that is built for a specific purpose. If you just have to. Go to www.aiptactical.com and click on the How to video "Tube Extension kit". follow that. Do not put anything in there and beat on it as I sell several receivers a year to guys who have damaged their mag tubes doing that. Also, if you crack the braizing or damage the tube it is a factory repair and the weapon has to go to Remington.

I agree with selling this weapon and finding another to mess with. Your weapon is a high end gun was built to shoot trap and skeet loads and not slugs and buck shot. It is a great sporting weapon and will make a horrible tactical weapon. This was a sad post for me to even read. I weap on my key board.

motorwerks
06-16-2011, 1:57 PM
WOW! its not really that serious. :D

This is though. How often do you see the brazing crack? I'm not being a dick I'm really curious. I've been running mine like this for over a year, I run it hard, and I've never had any trouble with it.

Besides My 11/87 is REALLY old I figure I'm on my own if I break it I'll pay to have it fixed..... or buy something else.

aippi
06-16-2011, 6:49 PM
You do it your way and I will continue to show people how to do it the best way. You have done how many? I have done several hundreds and I am not going to be pounding on the mag tube and risk having to send one back to the factory. Now Wilson uses the tool and they do hundreds and do them sucessfully. Those guys are doing it every day. That is quiet different then a guy getting a tool and a hammer and beating his weapon for the first time. Also, because you can do something successfully does not mean the next guy can. Also, others may not share your "if I break it I'll pay the have it fixed" thing. They would rather do it the best way to ensure no damage occurs, so for them I made the video. You are able to do your own and would never need one of my videos or my knowledge.

So to answer you question. Four Times. Three times in the past couple years guys bought new receivers from me simply because they damaged theirs with a tool and a hammer to remove the detents. A few weeks ago a guy called and I advised he simply send it to Remington. He is on this forum so I hope he post in about the damage he did with that tool he got from Brownells and his hammer. I also hope he sent in to the factory for repair like I suggested.

TKM
06-16-2011, 8:15 PM
Drilled, polished and blued. Less than an hour and no issues in more than 10 years.

motorwerks
06-17-2011, 2:59 PM
You do it your way and I will continue to show people how to do it the best way. Funny I did mine EXACTLY like the guy in the video did. :D

I just scanned through your post because I'm on my way out to possibly buy a new truck, but I think the Wilson tool thingy was also what I was talking about. So I don't think my garage smithing is too far off the mark. :D:D:D:D:D

coyotebait
06-17-2011, 8:20 PM
I have an 870 express mag, same stupid dimples, I used a dremel tool to remove them. As stated above, the spring cap doesn't lock, but the threaded end cap holds everything where it should be. I've had no issues with mine, it's been 8 years? Something like that.

Just watched the vdo, If I ever do another one, I'll probably drill it like in the vid. Good how-to's, book marked it.

bsg
06-18-2011, 3:35 AM
keep it or sell it as is; redefining this shotgun would be a shame.

andrew15
06-18-2011, 3:42 AM
Simply love this Gun. Anyone have idea how about its price?

High School Diploma Online (http://www.sandfordhighschool.com/)|Get GED Online (http://www.sandfordhighschool.com/)|Online Diploma (http://www.sandfordhighschool.com/)

BigDogatPlay
06-18-2011, 8:51 AM
Simply love this Gun. Anyone have idea how about its price?

I've seen used 1100 Classic Trap models going in the $700-$800 range for a while. Usually the used guns will have had mods done to the stock, such as adjustable butt pads and the like. New they run north of $1200.

Dirtbiker
06-18-2011, 12:51 PM
I'll bet you can find someone on this site who will trade you straight across your 1100 Classic Trap for an 1100 Tacical.

motorwerks
06-18-2011, 1:05 PM
drilling a couple of holes, doesn't make it any less of a gun, it is still returnable back to stock in about 3 minutes. :D