PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it to restore a shotgun?

Sanderhawk
06-16-2011, 6:23 AM
I have a buddy that has a 410 shotgun ( I will get manufacturers name in a bit ) he said he found in his parents garage while cleaning. It looks pretty old and in has some rust on the barrel and parts that look like they used to be chrome
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n230/Omegaonne/IMG_8070.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n230/Omegaonne/IMG_8069.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n230/Omegaonne/IMG_8072.jpg

Is it worth anything? Is it worth restoring? What should I offer?

Any info would be great.

BigDogatPlay
06-16-2011, 6:35 AM
That looks just like a somewhat neglected gun I saw just this past week. You in the Bay Area by chance?

The condition of the bore is going to be critical. If it's all rusty and pitted inside, then I'd consider it a lost cause. The exterior metal, while in sorry shape, may well be worth the time and labor of a project. You might do a forum search for posts by Ajax22. He is constantly restoring old beaters to shooters, and some of the ones he's started with have been as rough as this or even rougher.

Sanderhawk
06-16-2011, 6:38 AM
That looks just like a somewhat neglected gun I saw just this past week. You in the Bay Area by chance?

The condition of the bore is going to be critical. If it's all rusty and pitted inside, then I'd consider it a lost cause. The exterior metal, while in sorry shape, may well be worth the time and labor of a project. You might do a forum search for posts by Ajax22. He is constantly restoring old beaters to shooters, and some of the ones he's started with have been as rough as this or even rougher.

Thank you sir I will look him up. I`m in Orange County.

CSACANNONEER
06-16-2011, 6:50 AM
I have a 12g of the same model and I'd be very interested in buying this one if it hits the market. Just let me know if it does.

Sanderhawk
06-16-2011, 6:54 AM
I have a 12g of the same model and I'd be very interested in buying this one if it hits the market. Just let me know if it does.

Do you know who the maker is?

CSACANNONEER
06-16-2011, 7:02 AM
Do you know who the maker is?

I do know it was made in Italy. I've been told that it was made by Berretta but, I am not convinced of that.

BTW, even if it's not worth restoring, I'd be interested in it as a parts gun. Some of the parts might be interchangeable and I need a new sear or, at least, to borrow one to copy it.

Sanderhawk
06-16-2011, 7:03 AM
I do know it was made in Italy. I've been told that it was made by Berretta but, I am not convinced of that.

Well that is a start. Thanks for the info.

Mike A
06-16-2011, 9:54 AM
There is a Beretta "folding" single that looks identical to that gun. However, there were several "knockoffs" made in Italy that seem identical, and at least one made in Asia. So you need to have a look at the markings on and in the gun to see if it really is a Beretta.

If I recollect, it should have J.L. Galef or another Beretta importers markings on it.

The restoration issue I would see as critical is getting that receiver plating restored. Not easy, and there aren't as many plating shops around due to environment regs. The bore, if it IS a Beretta, should be OK--they were all chrome plated.

JagerDog
06-16-2011, 11:31 AM
There is a Beretta "folding" single that looks identical to that gun. However, there were several "knockoffs" made in Italy that seem identical, and at least one made in Asia. So you need to have a look at the markings on and in the gun to see if it really is a Beretta.

If I recollect, it should have J.L. Galef or another Beretta importers markings on it.

The restoration issue I would see as critical is getting that receiver plating restored. Not easy, and there aren't as many plating shops around due to environment regs. The bore, if it IS a Beretta, should be OK--they were all chrome plated.

Correct. It was the Beretta Companion. Copied since. Had the .410 and 20g when I was a kid. Wish I still did for what they fetched, but....

For sure it would cost more to restore than the restored gun would be worth. But you may develop some "shortcuts" to make it feasible.

BigDogatPlay
06-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Thank you sir I will look him up. I`m in Orange County.

Cool.... definitely not the gun I saw then. The one I saw was a Beretta made, and a .410 as well. Not quite as spotty on the outside as your example.

Good luck with it, as a restoration project is always fun. :)

Sanderhawk
06-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Ok here is some more info. I picked it up today and started cleaning it up and giving it the once over. Says " M.A.V.I. Gardon V.T. Italy" on one side same side has " Companion" Inside a crest that is on the same side it Says" Arms Ammunition" One the other side it says " Eagle Arms N.Y. N.Y." and same side it also says " 410 Gauge 3" has another crest that also says " Arms Ammunition". where the barrel breaks to load there are several manufactures marks one looks like a small crest with a star in a circle above it, the next is the letters PSF with 2 stars in circles above it and the last one says FINITO with a small mark of some kind above it. I don`t see a date or anything.

The inside of the barrel has a perfect mirror finish. The wood stock is pristine, the barrle on the outside is in pretty good shape with a little surface rust at the trigger end. The detail on the gun is amazing. the metal has a lot of scroll work on it but is covered with surface rust. Looks like that will be the hard part to repair. I wish I knew the date of this gun

JOE MACK
06-18-2011, 4:40 PM
It depends on whether it has monatary or sentimental value. I had my grandgather's Winchester Model 12 in 16guage restored due to setimental value. I had thin wall choke tubes put in, a vented rib, new stock and forearm, and then had a lustrous blue applied. I've been shooting it for three decades now and it will go to one of my nephews when I'm gone.

Sanderhawk
06-18-2011, 5:07 PM
Well I cleaned and polished on it for the better part of today and I have to say its coming out pretty nice. I think if I were to get the barrel re blued it would look damn great in my book. The metal polished up pretty well and holds a shine even though you can see alot lof pitting if you hold it a certain angle. I may check into how much it is to blue the barrel. I`m pretty happy with it.