PDA

View Full Version : mossberg 500 rebuild

DIRTY HARRY
06-15-2011, 10:00 PM
do they make a kit to freshen up a 500 mine has a lot of miles on it and getting sloppy on the pump action do they make a rebuild to tighten it back up and replace worn out parts? i have had it for 20 plus years. thanks

1998 m4a1
06-16-2011, 4:58 AM
why not just buy a new one? its ~200 bucks and you'll have 2 shotguns; you can sell the old one if you dont want it.

BigDogatPlay
06-16-2011, 7:38 AM
do they make a kit to freshen up a 500 mine has a lot of miles on it and getting sloppy on the pump action do they make a rebuild to tighten it back up and replace worn out parts? i have had it for 20 plus years. thanks

Mine is close to 30 years old, runs great. Mossbergs are known for their somewhat loose fitting forearms so I'm curious what you feel is sloppy. What, internally, is worn out?

You can get pretty much any part from Mossberg. Check their web site, and give them a call.

scott.cr
06-16-2011, 8:40 AM
Replacement parts can really add up! Friend of mine has a Maverick 88 and his son broke the forend. We priced up new replacement parts from Midway and it came to around $100. I think that entire gun only costs $100 new!

I agree with BigDog that Mossbergs tend to be loose. There's not much inside the gun to go wrong, but the aluminum receiver is liable to wear from the bolt and action arms. The breech lockup is contained by the bolt and barrel hood (a very safe design). If the lockup area of the bolt and barrel are worn you might consider a replacement, other than that I'd probably just let it keep running.

HatersLOVEme : )
06-16-2011, 10:00 AM
If this old timer still cycles / shoots fine why fix it if it isn't broke - since they actually do action / mag feed tube jobs on Mossbergs to make them cycle smoother like older broke in models ?!?

Otherwise if you have concerns about the safety of the weapon or just like a tighter set up as a personal preference ( who doesn't jk lol ) you could have a gun smith or authorized factory service center inspect the firearm and replace or repair all the worn parts that you have issues with otherwise I know they have replacement parts up the wahzoo for the model 500 most of which are available through Mossberg and a few other dist. but that could nickel and dime you quite a bit your best bet would be sending it off to a place like Aimpro they can inspect it when they refinish it for you :)