PDA

View Full Version : Storage vs. Loan

CalBig
06-15-2011, 3:46 PM
A friend has asked that I store handguns because the situation at home is temporarily not appropriate for their storage. Would this be a "loan" that cannot exceed 30 days without doing an FFL transfer, or is this mere act of storage acceptable?

These handguns would be in a locked case that I don't have the combination for, and that case would be inside my safe.

What about rifles stored bare (not in an additional locked container) in the safe under the same situation?

The only intent is to the the safest thing possible, but also try to avoid any activities that run afoul of CA law.

-Adam

Veggie
06-15-2011, 3:58 PM
Dunno but it is impossible for the police to know or prove when he "lent" them to you. Also after 30 days you can just give them back for 1 second then he can "loan" them to you again.

MindBuilder
06-15-2011, 4:35 PM
If it's a safety issue, can he just make the weapons safe by doing something like removing and storing the bolts/slides/cylinders separately?

Quiet
06-15-2011, 4:50 PM
Storage vs. Loan

AFAIK...
Loan = person has access/use. 30 days max.
Storage = person does not have access/use. no max.

paul0660
06-15-2011, 4:58 PM
I do not know of a legal definition for storage. My jurisdiction allows FFL's to hold firearms for people who are subjects of a restraining order. They have to be dros'd back if the RO goes away.

command_liner
06-15-2011, 5:05 PM
Store them in a "locked container", ie a bag with a zipper that can be locked.
The owner keeps the key. For rifles you can use something like brass sash
chain through the actions with the bolts removed. Lock the chain.

bruss01
06-15-2011, 9:15 PM
If the only point is to make them "safe" i.e. unable to fire, why doesn't he just remove the slide or bolt and give to you to put in your safe... saves you a lot of room in your safe too.

Revolvers are a little more difficult but not THAT difficult to remove a functionally required piece, such as the hammer.

If he balks at this solution, odds are pretty high he's not telling you the whole story and you need to be asking a lot more questions.

voiceofreason
06-16-2011, 5:17 AM
Can he simply hand you 1/2 of the handguns?

He keeps the lowers, you get the slide & barrel?

Don't know the legality of this. Neither he nor you has true access to a functional firearm (of his guns).

Oh, just noticed Bruss above said the same thing! Sorry!