PDA

View Full Version : round jammed in the tube Mossberg 500 -- HELP

zombiescanlearn
06-15-2011, 1:19 PM
It's actually a snap cap that is jammed.

I had fieldstripped my Mossberg 500 to clean and had put a couple of snap caps in the tube to make sure I had put everything back together correctly. the first snap cap came popping out just like it should when I test fired it but the second one stayed stuck in the tube and never loaded in the pipe.

Any ideas on how I can get it out?

vormav
06-15-2011, 1:46 PM
I had this happen to me the other day as well, not sure why it happened, I just attributed it to cheap snap caps.

I disassembled my shotgun and unscrewed the magazine tube and was able to pull it out. When I tried loading regular shells in, everything functioned smoothly again.

zombiescanlearn
06-15-2011, 3:10 PM
I tried that but my version of the 500 doesn't unscrew. I'm thinking about taking a hammer and screwdriver and try to break the snap cap but it looks pretty solid so I'm not sure if that is the best idea.

prc77
06-15-2011, 3:29 PM
I tried that but my version of the 500 doesn't unscrew. I'm thinking about taking a hammer and screwdriver and try to break the snap cap but it looks pretty solid so I'm not sure if that is the best idea.

Your magtube does unscrew. Get a heat gun and heat up the area where the tube screws into the reciever. Be careful not to crush the tube when unscrewing it. Replace that POS factory mag spring with a Wolff spring while your at it. clean and polish the inside of the tube too.

repubconserv
06-15-2011, 3:39 PM
Your magtube does unscrew. Get a heat gun and heat up the area where the tube screws into the reciever. Be careful not to crush the tube when unscrewing it. Replace that POS factory mag spring with a Wolff spring while your at it. clean and polish the inside of the tube too.

+1 the mag body overall is weak, except for the threaded part where the barrel attaches, that would be the place to grip

zombiescanlearn
06-15-2011, 6:14 PM

Ok. I'll give that a try. thanks.

strongpoint
06-15-2011, 7:51 PM
can't you just uncap the muzzle end of the mag tube, remove the mag spring and follower, open up the action and push the snap cap out toward the receiver with a full-length cleaning rod? at that point, you might be able to push the snap cap out the other direction, if that's easier.

or is it jammed in there too hard for that?

clean and polish the inside of the tube too.

prc77, how does one go about polishing the inside of a mag tube? i've gotten mine down from "filthy" (when i got it secondhand) to simply "rough," but i feel like i can do better. apologies in advance if this turns into a threadjack.

zombiescanlearn
06-15-2011, 10:13 PM
can't you just uncap the muzzle end of the mag tube, remove the mag spring and follower, open up the action and push the snap cap out toward the receiver with a full-length cleaning rod? at that point, you might be able to push the snap cap out the other direction, if that's easier.

or is it jammed in there too hard for that?

$

That was exactly what I was thinking but I haven't been able to figure out how to remove it that flat piece that the spring is pressing against. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've read some other stuff on the Internet that says heating up the magazine tube isn't necessarily a good idea.

repubconserv
06-16-2011, 10:15 AM

Uhhh I don't know what kind of mossberg you have... but I can't do that.

You are probably thinking of different model mossberg or different gun

the only way I know of to get follower and spring out on mossberg 500 is to completely remove the mag tube

repubconserv
06-16-2011, 10:18 AM
the slide won't move rearward to eject the round? What happens when you manually depress the cartridge stop?

I think what he's saying is the shell wont come out when he racks the slide...

As to the "heating of mag" being a bad idea... don't get it red hot or anything, just fairly warm... worked for me

zombiescanlearn
06-16-2011, 2:34 PM
The problem isn't really removing the magazine tube from the receiver (I think that's what it's called). The problem is removing that crappy snap cap from the magazine tube. So even if I'm able to remove the magazine tube, I'm still stuck with the original problem: how am I going to get that snap cap out without damaging the tube -- it sounds like the magazine tube is pretty fragile from everything that I have read.

Is there a way I can get that snap cap out without removing the magazine tube?

vormav
06-16-2011, 3:21 PM
Once you unscrew the tube, the spring, follower (little plastic piece sitting at the end of the spring to keep it from entering the receiver) and the snap cap should fall right out. Sounds like the only hard part is unscrewing a very stiff magazine tube

repubconserv
06-16-2011, 3:31 PM
Once you unscrew the tube, the spring, follower (little plastic piece sitting at the end of the spring to keep it from entering the receiver) and the snap cap should fall right out. Sounds like the only hard part is unscrewing a very stiff magazine tube

+1

once you unscrew the mag, everything will slide out

If you really don't want to mess with unscrewing it, field strip it, and just mess around with the shell until it (hopefully) comes out

prc77
06-16-2011, 3:57 PM
another option,,, Take the barrel off. 1/4 wooden dowel through the end off the magtube,, hopefully you can tap the stuck snap cap loose.

repubconserv
06-16-2011, 4:00 PM
another option,,, Take the barrel off. 1/4 wooden dowel through the end off the magtube,, hopefully you can tap the stuck snap cap loose.

Psshhh.... actually probably the easiest thing if it will work... go with this ^^^

zombiescanlearn
06-16-2011, 7:42 PM

I think you got something there. Ok, I'll let you know if it works tomorrow.

strongpoint
06-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Uhhh I don't know what kind of mossberg you have... but I can't do that.

You are probably thinking of different model mossberg or different gun

the only way I know of to get follower and spring out on mossberg 500 is to completely remove the mag tube

it's a lot easier on my 590A1, but i was thinking that the diameter of the takedown screw would be at least large enough to let you get a rod down the tube. the dowel idea is similar.

zombiescanlearn
06-17-2011, 1:58 PM

It worked! I'll leave that removing the magazine tube battle for another day. Thanks everybody.

prc77
06-17-2011, 3:16 PM
It worked! I'll that removing the magazine tube battle for another day. Thanks everybody.

glad I could help:)

coyotebait
06-17-2011, 7:57 PM
Psshhh.... actually probably the easiest thing if it will work... go with this ^^^

Too easy, it'll NEVER work. :D

jumpthestack
06-17-2011, 8:02 PM

+1. The same thing happened to me in my 500 due to the factory mag spring getting twisted and bound up inside the tube. After replacing the mag spring with a Wolff spring, good to go.

coyotebait
06-17-2011, 8:12 PM
What makes the wolf spring better? Is it stiffer?

prc77
06-17-2011, 8:40 PM
spring material is heavier gauge. so, it is, a little stiffer. does not fold in on itself.. I use Wolff recoil & striker springs in my Glocks and magtube springs in my 3 shotguns.
In my SLP I have cut out 5 coils. Makes reloading 8 rounds in the tube easier and is still 100% reliable

knucklehead0202
06-17-2011, 8:40 PM
how far in there is this thing stuck? if it's just inside just push the stop like that other guy said. unless it did bind the spring, then use the dowel, and push the stop at the same time, may require 3 hands. i have that many but your experience may vary.

prc77
06-17-2011, 8:41 PM
how far in there is this thing stuck? if it's just inside just push the stop like that other guy said. unless it did bind the spring, then use the dowel, and push the stop at the same time, may require 3 hands. i have that many but your experience may vary.

He already got it out;)

MossbergMan
06-18-2011, 11:57 AM
That was too easy of a solution to be "tactical"...:willy_nilly:
At least no one suggested firing a suppressed .22 down the mag tube to dislodge the snap cap.:eek: lmao..

repubconserv
06-18-2011, 2:16 PM
Yay for OP!... Wolff springs are ver nice if you want to get one

At least no one suggested firing a suppressed .22 down the mag tube to dislodge the snap cap.:eek: lmao..

:rofl2:

coyotebait
06-18-2011, 4:20 PM

Why a suppressed 22? Why not a 9mm? It's a Mossberg, it can take it!!;)

MossbergMan
06-19-2011, 9:18 AM
I was concerned about hearing protection. The suppressed .22 could be done indoors without waking the neighbors....or in my case the wife. Last time I fired my 9mm in the house I was banished to the garage (with the dog) for a week. :smilielol5: And a supressor makes everything "Tactical".

Sadly I've had to replace my magazine tube once already because I was demostrating a transision to HG by ditching a non-sling equipped 500. A random range rock dented the magazine, making my 8 shot into a 3 shooter. With an alloy receiver, I just don't think a 9mm is the appropriate tool for the job. Just my opinion not necessarily those of the managements.
Are we having fun yet or what?????