PDA

View Full Version : Rifled or non rifled barrel

Mr.RoDiN
12-19-2006, 9:43 PM
OK. So I got one of my christmas gifts early this year! It was really cool. My buddy got me a gift certificate from Cabella's. I own a Winchester 1300 12 guage with a 28 inch barrel. I bought a Benelli M1, as a tactical shotgun. I figured now I can buy a 22 inch barrel, from Cabella's, with the money I have from the gift certificate. I thought it would be pretty practical and for a 175 dollars it can be like a brand new rifel/shotgun. I want a barrel that I can shoot slugs out of, considering my original barrel, along with my benelli, have chokes. A few months back, my buddy picked up a Mossberg, bolt action, slug shotgun. It has a rifled barrel. Later on he found out, because of the rifling, he can only use sabot slugs. Is this true? If I buy this barrel, I want to be able to use regular slugs. Can I not use slugs with a twist on a rifled barrel? If so, I have two choices. I can get either a rifled barrel or get one that is described as a cylinder. When they describe the barrel as a cylinder, does that mean it doesnt have a choke? Is it a permanent cylinder barrel? Can I use regular slugs, with that barrel? I see they have also listed 28 inch barrels. Their description say they are "win-choke". I am assuming these are the same barrels my shotgun came with and have detachable chokes. Thanks for the help!

M. Sage
12-19-2006, 9:52 PM
I thought you could shoot slugs through a removable-choke barrel... I've done it before.

Mr.RoDiN
12-19-2006, 9:59 PM
I thought you could shoot slugs through a removable-choke barrel... I've done it before.

I don't know? I have heard myths about chokes flying off? I may be completely wrong.

M. Sage
12-19-2006, 10:06 PM
As long as the choke's not too tight, and it's screwed in all the way, I don't see how that could happen.

Archenemy550
12-19-2006, 10:06 PM
yea, thats why you take the choke out, becuase then in will just be a CB

11Z50
12-19-2006, 10:13 PM
I don't think it's a good idea to fire a single round without a screw-in choke in place! Buy an IC screw-in and use that if you want to shoot slugs.

Mr.RoDiN
12-19-2006, 10:20 PM

Dude, won't you mess up the threads?

xenophobe
12-19-2006, 10:45 PM
I don't think it's a good idea to fire a single round without a screw-in choke in place!

It's just not safe.

There are rifled chokes for slugs...

randy
12-20-2006, 12:11 AM
You can shoot rifled slugs out of a barrel with screw in chokes no problem. I generally use a IC choke but have used modified chokes many times. I know people that shoot lots of slugs out of a full choke.

I haven't seen anything go wrong with any of these setups. At 40ish yards I have gotten 3 slugs to touch.

sargenv
12-20-2006, 6:34 AM
The best way to see if your chokes can take a rifled slug is to cut one slug out of your batch of slugs, and see how it fits going through the screw in choke using finger pressure. I've done this with the S&B slugs I use for 3-gun and they will snugly fit through my modified choke. I did the same for a 20 gauge remington 870, and the tightest constriction for 20 gauge slugs that I can use is Improved. To remove the choke from the gun and then fire it is actually dangerous and can damage the gun. I have heard cases of burst barrels due to no choke being in the barrel.

The above method is the best I've found for smoothbore barrels and slugs.

Vince

Mr.RoDiN
12-20-2006, 9:24 AM
Guys, can a rifled barrel take rifled slugs? Or do they have to be sabot slugs?

-hanko
12-20-2006, 9:42 AM
:rolleyes: