PDA

View Full Version : Etiquettes/rules for picking up own casings at ranges?

t001
12-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Hi all,

Seeing as how the price of ammos is skyrocketing, it is time to try reloading. Anyways, what are the etiquettes/rules for picking up your own casings at various ranges. Short of a brass catcher, how do you about finding your own brass? Do ranges frown upon your sorting through the pile on the floor around you? Thanks.

M. Sage
12-19-2006, 11:03 PM
I've heard that you can put lines on 'em with a marker.

blkA4alb
12-19-2006, 11:05 PM
I don't have any problems at the ranges I go to. At the handgun range I pick up all my 9mm, no problem (I'm a regular there, but I don't think they really care either way.)

And at the rifle range I just pick up whats mine, I've never been confronted about it. Sorry my stories are so boring ;) .

Wulf
12-20-2006, 7:50 AM
I've been to a range or two that had a no pick up policy; I think those are about 1/2 safety related and 1/2 cause they resell the brass. But for the most part you're ok picking up what's yours. Ranges do make money on the brass that gets left behind so its kind of in bad taste to scour the whole place, particularly any brass they've already collected into buckets. Sometimes if the guy shooting next to me is using ammo from a new box I'll ask if he keeps his brass figuring he's probably not a reloader.

BigMac
12-20-2006, 7:54 AM
When I go to a busy range and have time invested in my brss.. I mark the heds with a marker. I like red.. or blue. Then if anyone gives me crap I can turn the brss over and prove it was mine...

What usually happens is I will as those around me that are not picking up theirs if I can have it.. then I pick up all the brass. I'm what you call a brass whore :D

ryang
12-20-2006, 8:58 AM
First suggestion: it doesn't hurt to ask an employee what their general policy is. If they say you must leave all brass on the ground, state you reload and you'd like to police your own brass. If they still insist you must leave it on the ground then you probably want to consider taking your business elsewhere.

If you're more of the "better to beg forgiveness than ask permission" camp, here are some general guidelines:
1. Outdoor ranges are less likely to care about collecting and reselling brass. Look around the shooting bench. Places like Chabot have a lot of old brass in the dirt which suggests they don't care. If that's the case then I would feel okay picking up any brass I see.
2. Indoor ranges usually collect and resell brass since they have to sweep it up anyway. I police my own brass but try not to pick up anyone else's. I will sweep my bench area clean before shooting to make it easier to find my own brass.
3. You can always ask others if you can have their brass if they don't want it.
4. If you want to mark your own brass, red/black/green/blue sharpies work great. Either put a band around the case or mark the headstamp.

PJA
12-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Chabot has a sign that states you may only pick up your own brass and that the rest is property of the range. I don't know if they enforce it.
Pete

Jason762
12-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Chabot has a sign that states you may only pick up your own brass and that the rest is property of the range. I don't know if they enforce it.
Pete

Same for the Richmond Rod & Gun Club.

I've never witnessed the RO yelling at other people for picking up brass that wasn't their own. I've picked up a few duds that I pocketed without any consenquence.

In fact the only thing I see them do with range brass is sweep it into huge piles when people start gliding around on empty brass cases.

1911whore
12-20-2006, 1:03 PM
I have a policy. I grab the nearest broom and get it all as long as the guys next to me are not intending on reloading.

sargenv
12-20-2006, 2:24 PM
I stripe all my brass that I want to pick up so there is no question what's mine and what's theirs. I use the striping tool from www.hosercam.com. However, I generally don't go to ranges that don't let me pick up my own brass.

Vince

Kruzr
12-20-2006, 4:27 PM
I sometimes use a sharpie and put a stripe on the bottom of the casing. More often, I shoot on a corner booth at an indoor range. I sweep all the brass around and in front of the bench before I shoot. Nearly all of the brass next to me will be mine.

ocabj
12-20-2006, 4:43 PM
I don't shoot handgun much anymore, but I always use the Sharpie lines on the case head method.

For rifles, it's not a problem to control brass. Bolt actions? Not an issue. Semi-auto I just hang up a net from the ceiling (covered firing line). I have literally lost maybe 1 piece of brass out of every 1000 rounds of rifle I've fired at my club's range.

grammaton76
12-20-2006, 4:45 PM
Dude - I'd never seen Hosercam before. I finally found a use for those wireless X10 cameras... :)

As for brass... it does depend on the range policy. Iron Sights, for example, keeps their pistol brass for reloading (so you should only pick up your own there), but they don't care about rifle brass since they don't reload it.

Chaingun
12-20-2006, 5:15 PM
Shouldn't be an issue, just pick up the stuff you were shooting or close to it, and it's okay to go over.

Just grab their broom and sweep everything into your lane.

On off hours you're lucky pick up what you shot.

grammaton76
12-20-2006, 5:21 PM
I don't shoot handgun much anymore, but I always use the Sharpie lines on the case head method.

For rifles, it's not a problem to control brass. Bolt actions? Not an issue. Semi-auto I just hang up a net from the ceiling (covered firing line). I have literally lost maybe 1 piece of brass out of every 1000 rounds of rifle I've fired at my club's range.

Ooo. Would you mind posting a pic of your net setup? I shoot at an indoors range, and my 7.62x39mm recovery rate is around 25%. A well-defined net that I could suspend from a coat hanger or something would be perfect for catching it all...

Blue
12-20-2006, 6:02 PM
If there isn't too many shooters on the line I won't hesitate to pick up alittle extra. I won't root through buckets to find the brass I need I just pick up whatever is on the floor. And if anybody ever did give me any crap about it I wouldn't argue with them if I was picking up extra.

ocabj
12-20-2006, 7:43 PM
Ooo. Would you mind posting a pic of your net setup? I shoot at an indoors range, and my 7.62x39mm recovery rate is around 25%. A well-defined net that I could suspend from a coat hanger or something would be perfect for catching it all...

I's nothing special at all. I just borrow a net from the rangemaster. The rangemaster has about a dozen nets and with a pair of clamps for each net. We just clamp them to the crossbars of the cover above the firing line. The net basically goes from the top of the above cover all the way down to the ground. I'll take a picture next time I'm at the range. Depending on if I load some short line 200 yard offhand practice rounds tomorrow or friday evening, it will be Saturday. If not, probably the Tuesday after Christmas. I have all of next week off so I'll probably be hitting the range at least 1 weekday next week.

sargenv
12-21-2006, 7:03 AM
Yeah, Hosercam is pretty cool. I've met the owner at several IPSC shoots around the bay area and at other ranges all over. He's a nice guy and makes a pretty cool camera. If I had the extra cash I think I'd pick one up from him. He's a nice guy and a very good IPSC shooter.

Vince

grammaton76
12-21-2006, 4:17 PM
I's nothing special at all. I just borrow a net from the rangemaster. The rangemaster has about a dozen nets and with a pair of clamps for each net. We just clamp them to the crossbars of the cover above the firing line. The net basically goes from the top of the above cover all the way down to the ground. I'll take a picture next time I'm at the range. Depending on if I load some short line 200 yard offhand practice rounds tomorrow or friday evening, it will be Saturday. If not, probably the Tuesday after Christmas. I have all of next week off so I'll probably be hitting the range at least 1 weekday next week.

Cool. I haven't seen anything like that, and pictures would greatly help me in developing my own. Brass retention's come up a lot lately with my group. :)

Mike 56
12-22-2006, 10:58 PM
If you are shooting from a bench with a smiauto with a scope lay a small towel over your scope your brass will be in a nice pile on your bench. Mike

SemiAutoSam
12-22-2006, 11:20 PM
Etiquettes/rules for picking up own casings at ranges?

The only Etiquettes I can think of is when your bending over to pick up your brass make sure your shirt is tucked in so your crack does not show. :eek:

tteng
12-23-2006, 5:12 PM
Chabot does not allow brass pick-up if they are not yours. I saw some 308 brass on the ground, and I offered to buy them for reloading purpose, and was refused by the range master. I was told that they have contracted recycler to collect the brass. Does anyone know if the brass are sorted for reloading or scrap?

ivanimal
12-23-2006, 5:34 PM
Chabot does not allow brass pick-up if they are not yours. I saw some 308 brass on the ground, and I offered to buy them for reloading purpose, and was refused by the range master. I was told that they have contracted recycler to collect the brass. Does anyone know if the brass are sorted for reloading or scrap?

I always pick up my brass and other brass that gets mixed in at Chabot. They have never stopped me. Then again I have never asked either.:cool:

tteng
12-23-2006, 5:46 PM
I was there today and noticed a white cargo container w/ 20-30 buckets of brass next to it (behind the 100yrd public line). Maybe it was there before and I just didn't notice it.

M. Sage
12-23-2006, 6:52 PM
Yeah, I've taken a couple of "souveniers" from Chabot, too. Not enough to even put a dent into their brass collecting activities, though, and I've left FAR more there than I've taken home...

Michael303
12-23-2006, 7:08 PM
One of the biggest issues Iíve seen at my shooting spot stems from brass collection. I shoot in a place in the Los Padres forest. Itís not regulated, so itís anything goes. This carries forward to not having rules on brass collection. People leave valuable stuff, like 30-06 and .308 when they leave rather then collecting it for reloads. On several occasions, Iíve seen an entire immigrant family at the range with no propose other then collecting brass. This included several children, one not older then 7, downrange with buckets during live fire. The dad had no regard for the safety of his family and seemed genuinely offended when a few people had words with him. Geez.

Granted, itís not right to prohibit all collections (especially for the rangeís own profits), but the rules exist also to protect their customers.

Kruzr
12-23-2006, 7:49 PM
The dad had no regard for the safety of his family and seemed genuinely offended when a few people had words with him. Geez.
They were probably teenagers and he was ticked that everyone kept missing. :D

cornholio1
12-23-2006, 8:40 PM
They have a sign at my range. You can only pick up your own brass. Th rest belongs to the range. They sell it and use the money to maintain the range.

bonjing
12-23-2006, 9:09 PM
Like others have said check with the range staff and their rules. Be sure to mark your brass across the backs with a sharpie. heck if you let the range master know they might even put you in a spot that makes it easier for you to pick up your brass

NRAhighpowershooter
12-24-2006, 10:13 AM
Just think of how much brass you could collect in Iraq!!!!!!:eek:

ocabj
12-24-2006, 3:43 PM

I forgot to take a picture of the net setup we use at the Inland Fish and Game.

I was videotaping my offhand yesterday. Here's a video where you should be able to see the net hanging from the overhead cover down to the edge of the bench to the ground at my 4 o'clock:

Video File, 40Meg MPEG-4 / .mp4 file -- plays in QT and VLC natively, WMP with codec -- Best to right-click, save as (http://ocabj.ucr.edu/movies/shooting/standing_slow_fire_01.mp4)

youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv89PzVYE1w (lesser quality due to youtube streaming compression)

cornholio1
12-24-2006, 7:42 PM
I forgot to take a picture of the net setup we use at the Inland Fish and Game.

I was videotaping my offhand yesterday. Here's a video where you should be able to see the net hanging from the overhead cover down to the edge of the bench to the ground at my 4 o'clock:

Video File, 40Meg MPEG-4 / .mp4 file -- plays in QT and VLC natively, WMP with codec -- Best to right-click, save as (http://ocabj.ucr.edu/movies/shooting/standing_slow_fire_01.mp4)

file sucks...

ocabj
12-24-2006, 7:47 PM
file sucks...

Huh?

cornholio1
12-24-2006, 7:51 PM
Huh?

Meant to say..it doesn't work for me. Yahoo music starts to download.

ocabj
12-24-2006, 7:55 PM
Meant to say..it doesn't work for me. Yahoo music starts to download.

I guess you don't have MPEG-4 codec in Windows Media Player.

Is one of these you?

71.104.202.158 - - [24/Dec/2006:19:42:21 -0800] "GET /movies/shooting/standing_slow_fire_01.mp4 HTTP/1.1" 200 38371286 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)"
71.108.193.17 - - [24/Dec/2006:19:45:45 -0800] "GET /movies/shooting/standing_slow_fire_01.mp4 HTTP/1.1" 200 38371286 "http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=44523&page=2" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1)"

Looks like a couple Windows users tried to DL it.

Oh well. I just posted it on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv89PzVYE1w

Horrible quality on youtube though.

Turbinator
12-25-2006, 1:20 AM
Just think of how much brass you could collect in Iraq!!!!!!:eek:

I'm sure some of it is not reloadable, particularly the 7.62x39 from the insurgents.

I usually have pretty good luck going shooting with non-reloader friends. They bring fresh boxes of new factory ammo, and I end up chasing their brass and taking it home. My collection of brass actually keeps growing thanks to this activity, even though I lose some through normal wear and tear, and those that bounce forward of the shooting line if I'm shooting indoors. At this rate, I'll be so overburdened in the calibers I shoot, I'll probably have to start selling some off or giving some away.

Turby