PDA

View Full Version : Which CA legislator to contact to extend CCW permit

Ossa
06-15-2011, 10:14 AM
This is my first post to CGF, so please don't bite my head off. I've been a member for about a year, reading and donating where possible.

My question is: who to talk to about extending the period of the CCW license. I noticed that Arizona and Idaho licenses are good for 5 years, and Nevada is good for 3. It really sucks that CA is good for only 2 years.

Any suggestions? Sorry, I forgot. I'm in San Diego.

choprzrul
06-15-2011, 10:20 AM
The current crop of anti civil rights legislators in the majority in Sacramento will never allow this to happen. I admire your motivation, but I don't think that it will get you very far.

wash
06-15-2011, 10:21 AM
That would require a change in the law. Not an easy thing to do, especially when most of our legislators are anti-gun or are trying to keep their head down and please some anti-gun campaign donors and voting blocks.

If you've got your permit in SD, you are lucky. You will probably just have to deal with ~frequent renewals.

Decoligny
06-15-2011, 10:24 AM
If they could get away with it, they would double the fee, and require it to be renewed at full cost every six months.

Paul S
06-15-2011, 11:01 AM
If they could get away with it, they would double the fee, and require it to be renewed at full cost every six months.

+1 on this ^ Much more truth than poetry here. :TFH:

Gray Peterson
06-15-2011, 11:10 AM

You would be incorrect as it would inconvenience a powerful political class, and also be massively opposed by every sheriff in the state.

Decoligny
06-15-2011, 11:15 AM
You would be incorrect as it would inconvenience a powerful political class, and also be massively opposed by every sheriff in the state.

The powerful political class and the sheriff's are the reason I qualified the original statement with "If they could get away with it".

Gray Peterson
06-15-2011, 11:18 AM
This is my first post to CGF, so please don't bite my head off. I've been a member for about a year, reading and donating where possible.

My question is: who to talk to about extending the period of the CCW license. I noticed that Arizona and Idaho licenses are good for 5 years, and Nevada is good for 3. It really sucks that CA is good for only 2 years.

Any suggestions? Sorry, I forgot. I'm in San Diego.

First things first, we have some other modest changes to the law which is needed. SB610 is currently in the Assembly and will be in Public Safety Committee. The bill specifically bans liability insurance requirements (this is already illegal but this makes it even more explicitly clear). and requires that training not be required until after approval for good cause. Please contact your Assembly person and ask them to support SB610 for "CCW procedural reforms". Do not mention "shall-issue" or "right-to-carry" as that's not what the bill does.

Second, until we win carry at the 9th Circuit or with SCOTUS (with the Peruta/Richards litigations), we have no way of getting the time extended politically. We are aware of the fact that it's expensive for a 2 year license, but we need to have the ability to carry a fundamental right without discretionary prior restraint first. Once we have that, we can go for a political solution (via the Legislature) or litigate against the high fee requirements (like the Kwong case in New York City, $340 for a 3 year license to possess and carry).

Order of Operations. It's not just for math wizards anymore...

Ossa
06-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Thank you all. I had no intention of doing anything without consulting our 2A forum first. Of course I will defer to the wishes of CGF judicial strategy and wait. Thanks again.

RobG
06-15-2011, 12:49 PM
While 3+ years would be great, be happy you have a ccw. Most of us cannot get one.

HowardW56
06-15-2011, 12:55 PM
The two year term is a minor inconvenience if you are able to get a CCW permit at all. In my opinion, the shall issue, or a statewide uniform standard is first priority...

Once that happens, there would be less resistance to longer term licenses, as the Sheriffs would be inundated with applications and renewals...

QuarterBoreGunner
06-15-2011, 1:38 PM
The two year term is a minor inconvenience if you are able to get a CCW permit at all.

Correct. It's a minor PITA compared to the hoops needed to just get the darn thing in the first place.

Dreaded Claymore
06-15-2011, 8:43 PM
Talk to the legislature about issuing CCWs, period, so that I can actually get one. After that, talk to them about the expiration date.