PDA

View Full Version : Legal? buying a semi auto shotgun out of state

PRE-EMPTIVE STRIKE
06-15-2011, 3:28 AM
A quick question on buying a semi auto shotgun with a folding stock from another state? Besides pinning or swapping out the stock which can't be done at the moment, what else can be done to obtain it?
Forgive me but my computer is toast and I'm doing this from my phone and can't make out anything on the flow chart.

Thanks in advance

PEBKAC
06-15-2011, 10:45 AM
Uhhhh...well if you can somehow remove any pistol grips or vertical grips from the weapon prior to shipping this will make it compliant as the law states you can have either pistol grips/vfgs or folding/collapsing stocks on a semi auto.

Personally I'd suggest sending it to a middleman with experience in CA compliance and seeing if they can do something about the stock.

fennecfrank
06-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Uhhhh...well if you can somehow remove any pistol grips or vertical grips from the weapon prior to shipping this will make it compliant as the law states you can have either pistol grips/vfgs or folding/collapsing stocks on a semi auto.

Personally I'd suggest sending it to a middleman with experience in CA compliance and seeing if they can do something about the stock.

+1.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php

CHAPTER 2.3. ROBERTI-ROOS ASSAULT WEAPONS CONTROL ACT OF 1989
ARTICLE 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS
12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:

(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.

Librarian
06-15-2011, 11:47 AM
And it MUST be shipped to a CA FFL to comply with Federal law; you may not take possession of a firearm out of state.

See Interstate transfer - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_firearms_Interstate

PRE-EMPTIVE STRIKE
06-16-2011, 4:19 AM
Thanks for the replies, I already inquired about removing the pistol grip, but it's connected to the folding stock. Will a Cali ffl accept it with the grip and stock removed, then after I take possession find someone who can pin the stock? Or will that make it to short for being a semi, essentially a benelli M3 without the stock?

Therunningidiot
06-16-2011, 6:47 AM
It's legal without the stock attached, but weather the FFL will accept it is up to the individual. Pinning the stock will not make it too short. Even without a stock a Bellini m3 with an 18 inch barrel is over the minimum length.

superman21
06-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Quick question.

So it is illegal to put pistol grip in your shotgun? Because im thinking about putting a adjustable buttstock with pistol grip on my mossy 500... :(

More info please..... My location is west covina,ca.

Thank you... :)

Taco66
06-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Mossburg 500 is a pump shotgun, so not an assault weapon.

superman21
06-16-2011, 2:14 PM
Tnx' :)