PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of a SxS For HD?

redrex
06-14-2011, 11:48 PM
I was on Stoegers web site looking at the Condor when I saw this...

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_double_defense.php

All black coach gun with tac light and sight? It made my little inner chaos monkey giggle in delight.

I had just been playing around with my 16 gauge SxS and wondering about the SxS 4 HD question.

I wonder how much I could sell my Mossy 500a Security/Field combo? Hmmmmm. :)

Bigtime1
06-15-2011, 2:08 PM
Sure looks like a fun one, and I've been eyeballing that thing as a novelty for a while.

I have hesitation about having 5 fewer rounds on hand if I really needed a shotgun.

BigDogatPlay
06-15-2011, 2:22 PM
Any gun you have is better than all the guns you don't when it comes to defending your life. Check Clint Smith's shotgun techniques videos where he demonstrates how to effectively fight single shot, coach gun, pump and semi-auto. Even single shots can be run efficiently and with great downrange effect.

Three minutes of highlights. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgwHQCJwWw)

The Stoeger coach gun is a good tool. The railed one is, I think, something of a novelty. And if I were using a coach gun, I'd probably prefer to have one with external hammers.

mif_slim
06-15-2011, 5:33 PM
I train with a 20g topper single shot break barrel and it's plenty fast if you train with it.

Salty
06-15-2011, 5:42 PM
I think of that more as a gun for someone who shoots double barrel shotguns recreationally, wants a firearm for home defense, and is reluctant to shoot anything other than double barrel shotgun. Or perhaps someone absolutely set on having a one gun household that wants a firearm for defense and perhaps wants to blast some deer or short range birds and for whatever reason does not want the standby Mossy 500 combo (kind of reaching here). Or just crazy internet mall ninjas (more realistic). I dunno, just don't see the point in limiting yourself to two rounds for home defense when semi's and pump actions are cheap enough. If a double barrel shotgun is all you have, then go for it, but I personally would not go out of my way to purchase one for home defense. Hell, after owning both a pump and semi automatic shotgun, I don't even understand why people go out of their way to purchase and accessorize pump actions for home defense anymore (unless you're pinching pennies). For just a little bit more than the price of that Stoeger you can purchase one of the more basic short barreled 4+1 Mossberg 930's (non SPX model). That's three more shots and less recoil for what, $75 more?

California Jones
06-15-2011, 9:10 PM
I was on Stoegers web site looking at the Condor when I saw this...

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_double_defense.php

All black coach gun with tac light and sight? It made my little inner chaos monkey giggle in delight.

I had just been playing around with my 16 gauge SxS and wondering about the SxS 4 HD question.

I wonder how much I could sell my Mossy 500a Security/Field combo? Hmmmmm. :)

What if THREE bad guys storm your castle?

plumbum
06-15-2011, 9:19 PM
Forget the tactical rails and black paint, your missing out on the beauty of simplicity.

A double barrel shotgun will be plenty to defend your castle when used properly, but I would personally go for the youth version in 20 gauge (13" LOP, 22" bbls) and that would be good for field use too.

strongpoint
06-15-2011, 9:19 PM
What if THREE bad guys storm your castle?

line up two of 'em and go for a through-and-through. :D

tonelar
06-16-2011, 9:21 PM
Some of the people I shoot CAS matches with are UBER capable with their coach guns. Im sure theyd be just fine in an HD situation with their sxs guns.
Im ok with my sxs but faster with my 97.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
06-16-2011, 9:44 PM
"I don't need a thousand dollar shotgun - I need to know how to run the one I got!" - Clint Smith (from the video linked in post #3).

That says it all. Wouldn't sell the Mossberg to get the SXS, though. Just save up the cash to buy the plain, non-railed SXS and have fun with it.

aippi
06-16-2011, 11:58 PM
Yes, but not that one. Why would you want an optic on a weapon you are going to confront someone at a few feet with?????????? Take that mess off the coach gun and it will get the job done.

redrex
06-17-2011, 1:35 AM
Ok, so we can all agree that the optic on top is rediculous. The good news is that the top rail is optional.

Here is my viewpoint. Next to my bed is my handgun safe. That gets me to my gun locker. There I have, potentialy my TCG (tactical coach gun)... Something like this...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/cngcycle/Gun%20Range/stoeger0021.jpg

After taking Lou's skeet class and watching him. I'm pretty sure that anyone who gets used to a double barrel can run it as fast as a pump.

Do four shots with the SB and then Four with the pump. With the DB you get two shots back to back. No pump, not even having to wait for it to cycle ala a semi. Reload and the two more back to back. As opposed to pump, shoot, pump shoot, pump shoot, pump shoot. And then how long to reload?

I'm just saying that it could be done. I'm not saying it's better, well better for every one at least.

I am saying that it looks cool and I like the idea of a very short, well balanced solution.

tonelar
06-18-2011, 12:36 PM
My 97 slam fires.
It can go almost as fast as my Benelli.
I've held the trigger down and just worked the pump many times.

If you're more proficient with a side by side; go for it. Otherwise, get the coach gun for its "cool factor" but DO NOT sell off your pump gun.

aippi
06-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Clint Smith can take a single barrel 12ga and run it as fast as most of us can our pumps. I grew up seeing SXS over doors of homes or leaning up in the corner. Those weapons were the go to guns for a couple hundreds years in our fine land. No reason to say one would not be a sure bet today. In fact, for a lot of people the simplicity of that coach gun is by far the best bet for HD......what, wait a minute... I forgot I build and sell high dollar shotguns for a living. I did not mean any of that about a SXS, I take it back so don't listen to me..............