PDA

View Full Version : Article: Chicago won't shield Oak Park from NRA's legal costs

Monte
06-14-2011, 9:29 PM
Via Of Arms & the Law (http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2011/06/mcdonald_v_chic_4.php)

Chicago won't shield Oak Park from NRA's legal costs
Tuesday, June 14th, 2011 10:00 PM
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterEmailPrint

By Marty Stempniak
Staff Reporter
The city of Chicago will not shield Oak Park from paying a portion of the cost for the National Rifle Association's lawyers, despite the village board passing a resolution two years ago that said otherwise.
http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/06-14-2011/Chicago_won't_shield_Oak_Park_from_NRA's_legal_cos ts

I agree... delicious. I'd love to see a slap-fight break out between Chicago and Oak Park reps.

No mention of Gura's fees, though. And the article could use some more pro-2A comments. :chris:

Wernher von Browning
06-14-2011, 10:05 PM
I agree... delicious.

The best part:
"He was uncertain what the NRA's total legal bills might be, but said they're likely "substantial," as the case went before the Supreme Court."

Good for Gura.

hoffmang
06-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Alan Gura didn't sue Oak Park - only Chicago. As such, the article is correct that Oak Park only has exposure to NRA on legal fees.

Delicious none the less!

-Gene

69Mach1
06-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Muhahahaha...

mag360
06-14-2011, 10:43 PM
it only matters (to Oak Park politicians) if the Citizens realize they are losing out on money for schools, police, fire, etc because of their stupid decisions to infringe on rights.

morfeeis
06-14-2011, 10:54 PM
i hope this makes them think before they pass stupid laws to try and take away our rights, i hope CA gets hit with a crap load of court cost when all of our cases are done.......

Monte
06-15-2011, 12:22 AM
Alan Gura didn't sue Oak Park - only Chicago. As such, the article is correct that Oak Park only has exposure to NRA on legal fees.

Delicious none the less!

-Gene

That explains it!

winxp_man
06-15-2011, 12:27 AM
i hope this makes them think before they pass stupid laws to try and take away our rights, i hope CA gets hit with a crap load of court cost when all of our cases are done.......

Maybe just maybe they would figure out that its not worth to keep bringing in vague laws that are worthless.

jdberger
06-15-2011, 12:36 AM
The list of municicpalities burned by following LCAV/Brady strategy is getting longer.

San Francisco
Los Angeles
DC
Chicago
Cleveland
Oak Park
Richmond....

ccmc
06-15-2011, 4:54 AM

Just a rounding error when you're talking about California's 11 figure budget deficit. Of course they could recoup it by making the state shall issue for residents and non-residents alike :)

PatriotnMore
06-15-2011, 5:00 AM
I hope they choke on it.

Mute
06-15-2011, 8:11 AM
I'm going to be the bigger man......oh hell!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4083/5021816012_ca2e57458f_o.jpg

mlevans66
06-15-2011, 9:50 AM
I'm going to be the bigger man......oh hell!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4083/5021816012_ca2e57458f_o.jpg

I second this motion! Ha Ha, indeed, sir!

ldsnet
06-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Oak Park only has a population of about 55,000 residents. So in fighting this ordinance the politicians spent $100 for every man woman and child right from the city budget.

If you told me I would be paying an extra 3 or 4 hundred dollars in city taxes this year because the elected officials are idiots - I would be answering that on election day and voting every one of them out of office.

sfpcservice
06-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Maybe the 2a foundation, calguns or NRA (or all) take out an entire page ad in Chicago's newspaper addressing how much the city has cost itself passing unconstitutional laws that they knew would land them before the Supreme Court.

Edit: Perhaps this could be a multiple city initiative. I know San Francisco has had to pay some bills too....

Tack
06-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Maybe the 2a foundation, calguns or NRA (or all) take out an entire page ad in Chicago's newspaper addressing how much the city has cost itself passing unconstitutional laws that they knew would land them before the Supreme Court.

Edit: Perhaps this could be a multiple city initiative. I know San Francisco has had to pay some bills too....

+1
I like. Should we set up the ad campaign with Alan Korwin?

Crom
06-15-2011, 10:59 AM
I'd like to extend a heartfelt thank you to Chicago, and Oak Park. For without them we would not have another Supreme Court victory. Thanks! And I'm glad they must pay attorneys fees and costs. :D

hornswaggled
06-15-2011, 11:01 AM
Next time don't think the Constitution doesn't apply to you and this won't happen.

Paul S
06-15-2011, 12:05 PM
it only matters (to Oak Park politicians) if the Citizens realize they are losing out on money for schools, police, fire, etc because of their stupid decisions to infringe on rights.

So true...but it seems nearly impossible to convince the liberal citizenry voting blocks that this is the case. Look at the great City by the Bay as a perfect example of this.

glbtrottr
06-15-2011, 12:15 PM
If only Mare Richard M Daley (female horse) was found personally responsible for this, having to pay out of his own pocket, I'd be giddy.

Too bad he's not.

Wernher von Browning
06-15-2011, 12:52 PM
If only Mare Richard M Daley (female horse)

He's not a female horse.

Only part of one (http://www.rosenblumtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/horses-ass1.jpg).

jdberger
06-15-2011, 12:57 PM

Interesting idea.

Would you like to do a little research and find out what the local paper for Oak Park is, what the cost for a full page ad running 3 days would be, etc?

It might also be helpful to look at Oak Park's current budget, funding of police/fire/education services, etc.

If you'll get the initial research done, we might be able to do something with this.

It might be fun.

morfeeis
06-15-2011, 1:33 PM
Just a rounding error when you're talking about California's 11 figure budget deficit. Of course they could recoup it by making the state shall issue for residents and non-residents alike :)
Think of all the cash ca could raise by going pro 2a.
ccw fees
more taxes brought in from ccw training
open wild horse canyon back up and charge a $5 fee
more sales tax from the rush of gun sales after the death of the roster and all the standard cap mag sales.
money from taxes on gas after we have a bullet button roast.

mag360
06-15-2011, 1:55 PM
Interesting idea.

Would you like to do a little research and find out what the local paper for Oak Park is, what the cost for a full page ad running 3 days would be, etc?

It might also be helpful to look at Oak Park's current budget, funding of police/fire/education services, etc.

If you'll get the initial research done, we might be able to do something with this.

It might be fun.

DO IT. LOUD AND PROUD!! I'm in for $50 on this ad.

wash
06-15-2011, 1:55 PM
Just a random thought but I bet Clement is going to charge a higher hourly rate than Alan...

Chicago is going to pay for their stupidity at a bargain rate.

CCWFacts
06-15-2011, 2:03 PM

Yeah, citizens really care about where their local tax dollars go. Citizens can't stand having pot holes in the roads, and bad schools and one-hour police response times, and they make sure that their tax dollars get allocated to those things. That's why in California our politicians are so good about limiting public employee compensation and pension costs, to make sure that the tax dollars go to delivering services that the taxpayers expect.

I'm being sarcastic of course. We as local taxpayers blow billions of dollars on things that would make make us laugh if we knew about it and it's not our money. Unfortunately it is our money and yet 99% of us don't know about it. Golden Gate Bridge toll collectors, who need all the IQ of a plant and the customer service skills of a hyena, make about $100k a year, fully costed. Do taxpayers in SF care? Not at all! They think it's wonderful!

sfpcservice
06-15-2011, 9:18 PM
Interesting idea.

It might be fun.

PM Sent.

mag360
06-15-2011, 9:44 PM
Yeah, citizens really care about where their local tax dollars go. Citizens can't stand having pot holes in the roads, and bad schools and one-hour police response times, and they make sure that their tax dollars get allocated to those things. That's why in California our politicians are so good about limiting public employee compensation and pension costs, to make sure that the tax dollars go to delivering services that the taxpayers expect.

I'm being sarcastic of course. We as local taxpayers blow billions of dollars on things that would make make us laugh if we knew about it and it's not our money. Unfortunately it is our money and yet 99% of us don't know about it. Golden Gate Bridge toll collectors, who need all the IQ of a plant and the customer service skills of a hyena, make about $100k a year, fully costed. Do taxpayers in SF care? Not at all! They think it's wonderful!

I think i've responded to you about attacking the public sector workers before. you need to recognize the downfall in the private sector, and stop railing on public workers. Why has the private sector abandoned pensions, why have they cut health/dental benefits. Are the bridge collectors overpaid, yes. Are firefighters, cops, CHP, CSU/UC regents/presidents, etc overpaid, yes. Do they skin a fat hog in retirement (3% @ 50!!! holy ****) yes... Are all public workers overpaid? NO. I'm a public sector worker for a utility, I get 2% @ 55 retirement, and I'm not overpaid compared to what a similar job in the private sector gets.:cool2:

Blackhawk556
06-15-2011, 10:35 PM
The list of municicpalities burned by following LCAV/Brady strategy is getting longer.

San Francisco
Los Angeles
DC
Chicago
Cleveland
Oak Park
Richmond....

Please tell me you're kidding. where did you read this?

emcon5
06-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Please tell me you're kidding. where did you read this?

According to this, their base salary is between $48 and $54K per year.

http://sfappeal.com/news/2011/01/the-golden-gate-bridge-highway.php

With OT and benefits, I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of them didn't cost the taxpayers over $100K per year. Pretty good money for someone whose only required skill is the ability to fog a mirror.

If you want to get a taste of how messes up San Francisco is, read this:
http://www.sfweekly.com/2009-12-16/news/the-worst-run-big-city-in-the-u-s/

Mulay El Raisuli
06-16-2011, 5:01 AM
According to this, their base salary is between $48 and $54K per year.

http://sfappeal.com/news/2011/01/the-golden-gate-bridge-highway.php

With OT and benefits, I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of them didn't cost the taxpayers over $100K per year. Pretty good money for someone whose only required skill is the ability to fog a mirror.

If you want to get a taste of how messes up San Francisco is, read this:
http://www.sfweekly.com/2009-12-16/news/the-worst-run-big-city-in-the-u-s/

From the SFWeekly article:

The city's ineptitude is no secret. "I have never heard anyone, even among liberals, say, 'If only [our city] could be run like San Francisco,'" says urbanologist Joel Kotkin. "Even other liberal places wouldn't put up with the degree of dysfunction they have in San Francisco. In Houston, the exact opposite of San Francisco, I assume you'd get shot."

Oh! So that's why they don't want guns there!

The Raisuli