PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 express

KINDOFAONE
06-14-2011, 8:18 PM
I have an 870 express that has issues with feeding, the issue as I see it is with the catch springs (don't know the real name) I am told this is an issue in most of the newer 870's after steady use. So I plan on ordering some new springs for it and think it should take care of the problem, but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the matter. Also the gun is clean that was the first thing I tried.

Barry
06-14-2011, 8:57 PM
Please post more details of how it fails to feed/function?

Does the first shell load and fire then fail to correctly extract.
Does it feed two shells every time.
Does it fail once every 10-15 shells.

You get the idea.

Barry

aippi
06-14-2011, 9:22 PM
Can't answer as I don't understand catch spring. Maybe go to www.remington.com and click on "support" when that page comes up click on "Parts" and when that page comes up simply down load the 870 schematic and it will give you the name of the part you are trying to ask us about.

KINDOFAONE
06-15-2011, 4:39 AM
Ok so looking at the schematic it does not have a part name it only has a number, the number on them is 55 and 56. They are the two pieces that hold the shells in the mag tube until you pump the shot gun once the pump is back they open up slightly to let a shell into the action my Issue is that the shells get hung up in the tube because the two pieces do not open up enough to let the shell in. I would say that it fails on average about 1 out of every 10 rounds or so.

aippi
06-15-2011, 8:24 AM
Those are called the shell latches. It is going to be impossible for anyone to tell you the issue without having the weapon in their hands. The reason is that the shell latches are controlled by the timing cuts on on the action bars and they have to be check to insure they are not deformed or damaged. Then the shell latches have to be examined for damage. It can also simply be the magazine spring and that should be replaced first before you start doing gun smith work on your receiver. There may simply be a small obstruction behind the shell latch from a cleaning patch or other grit. So it may look clean cause you can't see the obstruction.

Many times a new forend tube assembly resloves any feed issue as the timing cuts on the action bars control the function of the 870. Cleaning and polishing the mag tube with a polishing rod like I show on the red link "Install and cleaning" on my web site www.aiptactical.com can also reslove an issue like this along with a new magazine spring. If this is a 4 shot mag tube get part # 92447 from Remington which is the 4 shot police mag spring and will give you better feed then the standard spring.

Changing the shell latches takes some knowledge and a special staking tool so doing this as a first step makes no sence. If the weapon is new send it back under warranty but if used or warrantied expired then get it to a competant gun smith..........HOWEVER...
It can also simply be operator error because you are not racking the weapon with authority. the 870 is designed to rack like you got a pair and that resloves many feed issues.

Marlin Hunter
06-15-2011, 8:26 AM
I have an 870 express that has issues with feeding, the issue as I see it is with the catch springs (don't know the real name) I am told this is an issue in most of the newer 870's after steady use. So I plan on ordering some new springs for it and think it should take care of the problem, but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the matter. Also the gun is clean that was the first thing I tried.

I don't think you can replace the catch spring (there are 2). They are staked in at the factory.

KINDOFAONE
06-15-2011, 8:41 AM
Thanks for the advice I will order the mag spring and clean / polish the mag tube and see if that takes care of the issue.

Bigtime1
06-15-2011, 3:04 PM
rack like you got a pair and that resloves many feed issues.

^^^^ Ya, what he said.

KINDOFAONE
06-16-2011, 6:17 AM
Racking the slide is not the issue, thanks for the advice though.