PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Wisconsin!

Bigtime1
06-14-2011, 5:05 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/06/14/wisconsin-senate-votes-to-legalize-concealed-carry/#content

Cheese curds, Culver's and now this? Those Badgers are on a roll.

MP301
06-14-2011, 5:30 PM
"Democrats say the fact that exemptions were needed proves how inherently unsafe the measure is."

Yeah, thats why it has not been a problem in 48 other states you douche! Maybe Im having a bad day, but sometimes I hate some people..a lot!

CitaDeL
06-14-2011, 5:34 PM
wow.

Illinois will be the last state standing without some form of legal concealed carry if the state assembly and the governor finalize this bill. It will be difficult to argue that Illinois is somehow so different than 49 other states with concealed carry, that they cannot emplement some form of carry.

Likewise, California's licensing scheme makes us one of the last holdouts on the U.S. map with the Land of Lincoln.

pointedstick
06-14-2011, 5:57 PM
Awesome! Shame they couldn't leapfrog all the way to constitutional carry though, but there's always time!

Dreaded Claymore
06-14-2011, 6:01 PM
"Democrats say the fact that exemptions were needed proves how inherently unsafe the measure is."

Yeah, thats why it has not been a problem in 48 other states you douche! Maybe Im having a bad day, but sometimes I hate some people..a lot!

What exemptions are being referred to? Exemptions from the provisions of the old law, or from the provisions of the new one?

ke6guj
06-14-2011, 6:08 PM
What exemptions are being referred to? Exemptions from the provisions of the old law, or from the provisions of the new one?

in the line above that,

"The bill allows concealed weapons except in places such as police stations, courthouses and Milwaukee's Summerfest music festival."

those would be the exemptions that tyey are probably talking about.

CCWFacts
06-14-2011, 6:18 PM
Double-victory for freedom today in Wisconsin (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/15/us/politics/15wisconsin.html)!

Crom
06-14-2011, 6:31 PM
Whoever Dem that made the comment about being unsafe, is, in my opinion as smart as a box of rocks.

Werewolf1021
06-14-2011, 6:55 PM

The fact that I can't eat Big Macs 24/7 proves that eating is unsafe.:D

socal2310
06-14-2011, 7:03 PM

Really, exemptions that were no doubt introduced in order to quell the unfounded concerns of lawmakers in order to gain their support prove the measure is unsafe? I'm not following.

Ryan

Decoligny
06-14-2011, 8:04 PM
Whoever Dem that made the comment about being unsafe, is, in my opinion as smart as a box of rocks.

Quit insulting the rocks!

ccmc
06-14-2011, 8:08 PM
Again note the party line breakdown on this vote. All 19 republicans voted for.
A majority (8 of 14) democrats voted against. Are democrats ever going to get with the 2A? In Oregon the Oregon Senate effectively killed Oregon HB 2792 (the reciprocity bill) in the Judiciary Committee on a party line vote.

Wernher von Browning
06-14-2011, 8:30 PM
Are democrats ever going to get with the 2A?

No.

Party D is all about knowing what's best for you, and forcing you to accept that.

dantodd
06-14-2011, 8:38 PM
Again note the party line breakdown on this vote. All 19 republicans voted for.
A majority (8 of 14) democrats voted against. Are democrats ever going to get with the 2A? In Oregon the Oregon Senate effectively killed Oregon HB 2792 (the reciprocity bill) in the Judiciary Committee on a party line vote.

Don't paint all D's with that overly wide brush. The split was pretty even, want to guess what that split would look like in CA now? We'd be lucky to get that percentage from the R's here. And in southern states it would be hard to find a Dem (except maybe repping urban areas) who would vote against gun rights.

hoffmang
06-14-2011, 8:57 PM
Quit insulting the rocks!

QFT!

-Gene

ccmc
06-15-2011, 4:31 AM
Don't paint all D's with that overly wide brush. The split was pretty even, want to guess what that split would look like in CA now? We'd be lucky to get that percentage from the R's here. And in southern states it would be hard to find a Dem (except maybe repping urban areas) who would vote against gun rights.

Obviously there are exceptions, sometimes glaring ones, but it's pretty obvious that republicans are better on 2A issues than democrats. Wisconsin is a perfect example. The state was run by democrats for many years, the republicans take over after the 2010 election and in 2011 a concealed carry bill passes. When was the California legislature last controlled by republicans? Maybe that's what it would take to get a more 2A friendly environment in CA in a middle aged grump's lifetime rather than the "two more weeks" judicial route :)

Funtimes
06-15-2011, 5:33 AM
wow.

Illinois will be the last state standing without some form of legal concealed carry if the state assembly and the governor finalize this bill. It will be difficult to argue that Illinois is somehow so different than 49 other states with concealed carry, that they cannot emplement some form of carry.

Likewise, California's licensing scheme makes us one of the last holdouts on the U.S. map with the Land of Lincoln.

Hawaii still is a complete ban over the entire state in all forms, and possibly even within the home. So the last left standing are IL and HI. Even in other areas, there are some means to get a handgun.

tango-52
06-15-2011, 6:06 AM
Here is a Wisconsin newspaper article with more details:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/123826279.html

cineski
06-15-2011, 6:50 AM
Sounds like a shell of what the original intention was. That's too bad. I still don't understand if this is May Issue or Shall Issue?

Andy Taylor
06-15-2011, 7:38 AM
Hawaii still is a complete ban over the entire state in all forms, and possibly even within the home. So the last left standing are IL and HI. Even in other areas, there are some means to get a handgun.

Doesn't Hawaii technically have a form of may issue, even if the powers that be choose to never issue? That would put Hawaii one small step ahead of IL.

Window_Seat
06-15-2011, 7:53 AM
Doesn't Hawaii technically have a form of may issue, even if the powers that be choose to never issue? That would put Hawaii one small step ahead of IL.

Yes, and one could carry in HI under HR-822. IL is slated to become a lone doughnut hole, then there is D.C.

Erik.

Window_Seat
06-15-2011, 8:27 AM
(b) An employer may not prohibit an employee, as a condition of employment,
from carrying a concealed weapon, a particular type of concealed weapon, or
ammunition or from storing a weapon, a particular type of weapon, or ammunition
in the employee's own motor vehicle, regardless of whether the motor vehicle is used
in the course of employment or whether the motor vehicle is driven or parked on
property used by the employer.
(c) An employer that does not prohibit one or more employees from carrying a
concealed weapon under par. (a) is immune from any liability arising from its
decision.

I have to do a bit of research on this, but it looks as if this could have epic win all over it for certain employees of companies who are contractors in the trucking industry.

There are a few reputable name trucking carriers in Wisconsin, including one mega company in Green Bay, and they have plenty of contractors who own/lease their trucks. The question I would have is; in the Wisconsin law, what is "own motor vehicle" defined as? Some drivers "lease", and some outright own their vehicles.

And with 941.232(c), a company can't use "liability" as an excuse to disarm their employees.

Erik.

Maestro Pistolero
06-15-2011, 9:43 AM
Sounds like a shell of what the original intention was. That's too bad. I still don't understand if this is May Issue or Shall Issue?

Tha's ok, for now. At least they can get their system worked out for issuing and then they will be changing the criteria soon enough. :D

The Shadow
06-15-2011, 11:09 AM
I understand courts, and to a certain extent police stations, but the Summerfest ? Is that just because of the whining last year because people carried guns and made a big hairy deal over it ?

Window_Seat
06-15-2011, 11:09 AM
I contacted the author of SB-93 (Sen. Galloway), and the staff worker said that this is NOT a CC bill. I also asked about whether OOS permits would suffice, and he said that the "DOJ will be making rules on what other states' permits will suffice as a permit. As far as the school zone issue, I'm not sure whether one's Utah permit will protect them from federal prosecution, but they said that there will be reciprocity agreements, and that would protect a person, but I'm still not sure how that's possible when you have prosecutors who would attempt to enforce and get convictions for violating 18 U.S.C. 922(q)(2)(A)

I also asked about what I addressed (as far as the employee/contractor protection), and it's true, that a person who owns their own vehicle, and is using their own vehicle in the course of their employment is protected.

This doesn't just go for trucking, but also protects the Pizza guy driving his own vehicle around town delivering pizzas, the washing machine repair guy, other contractors driving their own vehicles (unless he/she is delivering inside any of the locations where one must disarm).

I sort of wish that I lived in WI at the moment, but that cold weather in the winter... :eek:

Erik.

yellowfin
06-15-2011, 11:32 AM
This paired with Jim Tressel leaving OSU has them very, very happy.