PDA

View Full Version : Open carry legal on a bike?

Droppin Deuces
06-14-2011, 4:24 PM
Bicycle, I mean.

wash
06-14-2011, 4:33 PM
I know some people who occasionally illegal CCW in the back pocket of their jersey while biking.

I don't think a traditional belt rig would be very comfortable on a long ride and unloaded would be pretty impractical.

If you can avoid school zones (nearly impossible in urban areas), it would be legal to UOC on a bike. I just don't think it's practical enough to be a good idea.

Droppin Deuces
06-14-2011, 4:37 PM
I know some people who occasionally illegal CCW in the back pocket of their jersey while biking.

I don't think a traditional belt rig would be very comfortable on a long ride and unloaded would be pretty impractical.

If you can avoid school zones (nearly impossible in urban areas), it would be legal to UOC on a bike. I just don't think it's practical enough to be a good idea.

Oh, I'm not talking on the road bike. I mean hopping on the beach cruiser and heading down to the beach. No schools in that direction, anyway.

That brings up another question, though: Are school zones still school zones on the weekend?

MASTERLAB
06-14-2011, 4:40 PM
Are school zones still school zones on the weekend?

^^^^good question

or put another way, is it still considered a school zone when school is not in session?

Librarian
06-14-2011, 5:02 PM
Oh, I'm not talking on the road bike. I mean hopping on the beach cruiser and heading down to the beach. No schools in that direction, anyway.

That brings up another question, though: Are school zones still school zones on the weekend?

^^^^good question

or put another way, is it still considered a school zone when school is not in session?

Yes. The law has no limiting language such as 'while school activities are in progress'. See, for example "safe school zone" (a different animal from GFSZ) in 626 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/626.html) (2) "Safe school zone" means an area that encompasses any of the
following places during regular school hours or within 60 minutes
before or after the schoolday or 60 minutes before or after a
school-sponsored activity at the schoolsite:
(A) Within 100 feet of a bus stop, whether or not a public transit
bus stop, that has been publicly designated by the school district
as a schoolbus stop. This definition applies only if the school
district has chosen to mark the bus stop as a schoolbus stop.
(B) Within 1,500 feet of a school, as designated by the school
district.
and compare to 626.9 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/626.9.html)(e) (e) As used in this section, the following definitions shall
apply:
(1) "School zone" means an area in, or on the grounds of, a public
or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or grades 1
to 12, inclusive, or within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds
of the public or private school.
The Legislature knows how to put in limitations, and did not do so in 626.9.

Uriah02
06-14-2011, 5:30 PM
Being that a bicycle has to follow traffic laws I would imagine one would have to follow locked unloaded carry.

Decoligny
06-14-2011, 8:10 PM
Being that a bicycle has to follow traffic laws I would imagine one would have to follow locked unloaded carry.

There is no requirement in the law to lock your gun while in a vehicle or on a bicycle. PC 12026.1 and 12026.2 deal with exemptions to PC 12025 i.e. concealed carry requires either a CCW or unloaded and locked in a secure container.

Open carry bypasses PC 12025 all together. Just have to avoid the 626.9 issues.

PsychGuy274
06-14-2011, 9:09 PM

You can UOC in your car.

To OP, you can UOC on your bike as long as you're not in a school zone.

paul0660
06-14-2011, 9:16 PM
I still think that "providing" is present tense, meaning while instruction is being had. No one agrees with me.

Pig Rifle
06-14-2011, 9:35 PM
I still think that "providing" is present tense, meaning while instruction is being had. No one agrees with me.

I had the same thought a long time ago and was shouted down as well. TBH though I wouldn't wanna test this either.

GettoPhilosopher
06-14-2011, 9:38 PM
To repeat what's been said above, yes you can UOC on your bike....in the middle of nowhere.

Welcome to the world of the GFSZ. Basically, LOC/UOC/any kind of carry not involving a locked case is impossible in any semi-urban area.