PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Shotgun build questions...

daraidz
06-14-2011, 12:35 PM
With the help of this forum I just completed my 1st AR-15 build and ready to try a shotgun. I have several shotguns for hunting but would like to build an 870 tactical from the ground up. I see a few on here in the gallery section that have been built, but wondered if there is a place to buy just the 870 receiver (like the AR lower)? That way I don't have to buy a whole shotgun and remove (waste) the parts that will be replaced. I've searched the forum and the webstores like Brownells, Riflegear etc but not seeing much in the way of shotgun building blocks...any ideas? I was thinking about just finding a good used gun at a local shop but the idea of a new receiver is nice. Also wondered about companies that provide parkerization (sp?) services to get the right finish versus the typical blueing on a hunting 870. Any input is much appreciated.

BigDogatPlay
06-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Don't know that Remington sells stripped receivers. Most of the custom makers I am familiar with start with either an 870 Express or 870 Police complete gun and work from there. They are essentially the exact same gun just with different finish and a couple of different parts internally.

There are millions of various 870s out in circulation. Your best bet for a true project gun is likely, IMO, to be picking up either a new Express or a good condition used gun on the second hand market. They are as strong as a bank vault and unless a used example has been horribly abused you are likely to get a good quality gun.

Then it becomes a matter of swapping parts out and in. Stocks, fore ends, barrels, mag extensions, etc. If you want the gun parkerized and it's not already, any number of shops and individuals do good work and it's not terribly expensive. When I need stuff parked I use a local to me FFL / gunsmith, Independence Armory. He did a Remington rifle barreled action for me a while back in a very nice grey black park that looks nails.

Give a bit of time for response and aippi will be in to comment. He is an 870 guru and produces many excellent builds to LEA and LEO.

aippi
06-14-2011, 2:30 PM
A stripped 870 receiver is $247 from Remington. The breech bolt is $97. The trigger plate assembly is $84 and the trigger pins are $6 . The forend tube assemly with slide is $40 and the forend tube nut is $6. So you spend $480 plus shipping to start and you don't even have the mag cap, spring and follower yet.

You can go buy the 870 from Wal-mart with a 28" VT RC barrel and Lamintated stocks for $300. You sell the barrel for $150 and the stock set for $75 on any auction site. You now have the same parts as you were going to buy above for only $75.

So you see starting from stratch is rediculous and makes no sence. Get a new 870 and build from there or waste $400 on parts.

shellslinger
06-14-2011, 3:35 PM
^ +1 Listen to Aippi, the man knows his stuff.

daraidz
06-15-2011, 8:16 AM
Just as always...you guys are the best. I love getting expert advice...almost instantly and stuff that saves us all money. JD I'll PM or call you with other specific questions. Thanks again.

aippi
06-15-2011, 9:15 AM
Yell any time as answers are free and I love talking about shotguns.

daraidz
06-15-2011, 12:51 PM
JD, what is your preferred method of communication? Email, PM, phone? I would imagine not filling this thread with questions and answers would be appreciated by the mods. Thanks