PDA

View Full Version : Garen Wintemute

jdberger
06-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Bought and paid for researcher Garen Wintemute has again penned a "study" in a fantasy journal (http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/early/2011/06/13/ip.2010.031443.abstract) in which he "concludes that firearm ownership and specific firearm-related behaviours are associated with alcohol-related risk behaviours."

Yup.

He just opined that gunnies are all drunken Yosemite Sams blasting about wildly.

It must be grant writing season....

:rolleyes:

Peter.Steele
06-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Wintermute? Does anyone know what his Turing Code is?

The Shadow
06-14-2011, 11:01 AM
And the point that he's making in his abstract is...what ?

I think he's trying to make an argument that firearm owners are drunks, and an accident waiting for a place to happen, without really saying it.

I'm not going to all him a lunatic, but I do think he's an opportunistic as:censored:le, that's using his profession as a tool to qualify his fear mongering propaganda and disinformation.

wjc
06-14-2011, 1:12 PM
*BRAAAAAAAWP*

scuse me...what?

:D

IGOTDIRT4U
06-14-2011, 2:24 PM
*BRAAAAAAAWP*

scuse me...what?

:D

lol, exactly.

Where's Homer when you need him...

wQbF1mxYEVY

wash
06-14-2011, 2:42 PM
But they can't reliably connect firearm ownership with crime, it must mean that gun owners can hold their liquor better than the antis.

GOEX FFF
06-14-2011, 2:49 PM
Uhhh I dont even drink..... :rolleyes:

blakdawg
06-14-2011, 3:55 PM
I'm not going to pay to read his ****, but I wonder if he bothered to control for other variables - e.g., socioeconomic status, race, geographic origin, etc.

This sounds like an ad hominem attack tarted up with statistical/scientific jargon - e.g., gun people are drunks, so (a) they're not to be taken seriously, and (b) we should take their guns away.

jdberger
06-14-2011, 4:04 PM
He didn't control for anything. He's a results oriented researcher. A shill. A fraud. A bought and paid for fear monger.

If he wasn't paid by the Joyce Foundation, he'd be selling herbal "male enhancement" products on late night TV - crowing about his "research".

not-fishing
06-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Shoot, I don't drink because I have guns.

I drink because I've had two torn rotator cuffs for decades and they're really starting to hurt.

I've worked Construction for 40 years with all the associated injuries and have another 30 years to go.

I work without pay to keep my company alive and have a wife who doesn't work to help pay the bills but instead plays tennis every day. We don't want to talk about the tennis vacations out of state she takes

I need my medicine because I have to listen to endless monologues on tennis games. Lately my medicine is nightly coffee, three fingers of coffee and five Mississippi’s of well Scotch with a cheap Bailey’s Creamer

If the boy could drink (he’s 16) he’d join me.

Guns are one of the few things I do that allow me to forget my suffering.

glbtrottr
06-15-2011, 12:34 PM
I don't drink.
I never developed the taste for it.

Democrat card ownership and Liberal Behavior is generally associated with dishonesty, double standards, imposing your will on others in the face of preaching freedom, hypocrisy, and elitism.

Gary Wintemute is a hack and an idiot.

Wherryj
06-15-2011, 1:19 PM
Uhhh I dont even drink..... :rolleyes:

Neither do I. I'm on call 24/7/365.

Perhaps my lack of alcoholism is the reason that I can't concealed carry for protection in Alameda Co?

Sutcliffe
06-15-2011, 1:27 PM
Every single one of his studies and articles has the words 'guns' or 'firearms' in the title.
Considering weapons are not the cause of violence, merely a tool, then you can draw a conclusion of your own as to his methods and who he serves.

OleCuss
06-15-2011, 1:36 PM
Hmm. . . Interesting to learn that I'm a drunk.

I must be a very cheap drunk since I've never bought an alcoholic beverage - ever.

In fact, I must get it by absorption from the atmosphere or something because I've never had even a sip of an alcoholic beverage in my life irregardless of any payment issues.

Utter garbage.

bwiese
06-15-2011, 1:42 PM
Bought and paid for researcher Garen Wintemute has again penned a "study" in a fantasy journal (http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/early/2011/06/13/ip.2010.031443.abstract) in which he "concludes that firearm ownership and specific firearm-related behaviours are associated with alcohol-related risk behaviours."

Yup.

He just opined that gunnies are all drunken Yosemite Sams blasting about wildly.

It must be grant writing season....

Funny.
I usu drive around with my perpetual 7-11/Starbux/etc. cup of coffee, and have bought several guns while imbibing that fine substance.

curtisfong
06-15-2011, 1:55 PM
Question: Can he be paid to write something else?

Librarian
06-15-2011, 2:17 PM
Question: Can he be paid to write something else?

I believe he's like an honest politician - he stays bought.

curtisfong
06-15-2011, 3:00 PM
I believe he's like an honest politician - he stays bought.

I was thinking along more nefarious lines... have him write increasingly shrill, silly, outrageous and unsupportable statements, until his credibility is gone entirely. End with a paper that is entirely full of verifiably wrong information and obvious outright lies.

Of course, feed him those statements from a supposedly "anti-gun" organization...

Connor P Price
06-15-2011, 3:05 PM
I was thinking along more nefarious lines... have him write increasingly shrill, silly, outrageous and unsupportable statements, until his credibility is gone entirely. End with a paper that is entirely full of verifiably wrong information and obvious outright lies.

Of course, feed him those statements from a supposedly "anti-gun" organization...

His credibility already is gone entirely.

Falconis
06-15-2011, 3:28 PM
Where the hell did he get his numbers and info from. If he's actually inferring gun owners are drunks, I would love to see the evidence. Let's just say due to an allergy, alcohol and I do NOT get along at all.

Morbo
06-15-2011, 6:08 PM
Many of the posts on this thread assume that Dr. Wintemute had to be bought. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm a social scientist and have worked along side these people. They BELIEVE the crap they write. They do what they do because they believe they are helping. They believe that they are good citizens, yes, good Americans. They do not have to be paid to write this crap.

You may ask yourself, "How could any rational being believe that crap?" I know I asked myself that question. The best answer I've found is a theory called the social construction of reality (Wikipedia has a decent summary of it).

Logic does not play a role. Argument is futile. The only solution is to "sue every mother f**ker in the room" (my apologies if the quotation is in error).

finfan
06-15-2011, 6:14 PM
Well I, for one, could sure use a drink right about now! :p

Bruce
06-15-2011, 6:26 PM
:rolleyes:

Well, considering some of the YouTube videos out there and some of the posts on firearm message boards, I could see how one could come to that conclusion. :rolleyes:

wash
06-15-2011, 6:39 PM
But that leaves out all of the Elmer Fudds and Gomer Pyles...