PDA

View Full Version : How about a GG/CGF video commercial?

tankarian
06-13-2011, 5:27 PM
...between 1/2 and 1 minute long, encouraging California gun owners to join ranks.
Idea for free distribution: could be uploaded on Youboob, linked and distributed over the Internet using email by our own members. Put it above the automated signature line as a link that will show up every time you send a message to your friends, parents and grandparents and even your anti-gun hippie in-laws.
Then later on, when some benefactor may bless us with his generosity or some gun stores would want to demonstrate their appreciation for our business maybe buy a spot or two on a local TV station? That may happen or not, but why not have the video ready? That could swell our membership numbers and the amount of donations considerably.
I have the right person to film and edit it at professional level, I can have the script ready in a couple of days, some our own diverse members will be the characters playing their own roles. The cost of production would be minimal and related only to traveling around to meet the characters of the video.

What say you guys?

chiselchst
06-13-2011, 6:24 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me, I wondered the same thing...

Perhaps the theme could reflect the civil rights aspect, also tying in the grassroots effort/theme that Oaklander has been talking about...emphasizing inclusiveness...,FWIW.

Window_Seat
06-13-2011, 6:46 PM
This has been discussed, even suggested by me sometime ago for TV spots, and it was explained, and seen by many of us who have been involved in this cause for awhile...

It's not something that would go over well, especially in a state where we as serious activist supporters of the cause are a severe minority. The majority of YT viewers in CA aren't interested in our 2A rights, and likely won't be, they are rather interested in the latest gadgetry and boobetry.

The awareness that is taking place is in the courts, and right here on CGN, and other info forums.

I like the idea, but for now, I would rather the $$ & time be invested in the current & future courtroom challenges, and maybe legislative issues.

Erik.

tankarian
06-13-2011, 7:07 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me, I wondered the same thing...

Perhaps the theme could reflect the civil rights aspect, also tying in the grassroots effort/theme that Oaklander has been talking about...emphasizing inclusiveness...,FWIW.

Exactly, it should emphasize diversity...first character white, liberal, lawyer; a second one black, conservative, student; a third one Asian, business owner, gay; a forth one Hispanic, woman, social worker. Or something like that, you get my drift.
Here is how I see it: characters alternating in 3 second shots "my name is John and I'm an artist" / my name is Maria and I'm a social worker / my name is Lee and I am a business owner ...and so on; then each one of the character goes in again alternating for another 3 seconds individual shot saying a different things like "I like guns because I love to hunt" / "I like guns because they help me protect my family"/ "I am gay and I need to protect myself from hateful people" ... and so on, then another set of 3 second shots "and this is why I joined Calguns.net" / "Calguns.net keeps me informed about my rights as a gun owner in California" / "Calguns Foundation fights for our rights" / "we all are the Calguns.net and we are inviting you to join us" / "our strength is in numbers and diversity" / "visit us at www.calguns.net and sign up for a free membership". Last image on screen: Calguns and Calguns Foundation logo. Cut.

Filmed in 1080p HD in a day or two, add a nice music track, editing done in another two days; final cost should be around $1K for everything. It needs to look just as good as any big name commercials on TV.

tankarian
06-13-2011, 7:13 PM
This has been discussed, even suggested by me sometime ago for TV spots, and it was explained, and seen by many of us who have been involved in this cause for awhile...

I already addressed this issue but perhaps you did not read my entire post carefully enough so I'm gonna repeat again: the main method of distribution would be the Internet - emails we are routinely sending to our friends, relatives, clients and so on can have a link to the video in the signature line. It is free and it is easy to do from pretty much every email program I ever used. Since the link is sent with your regular email is not spam - the recipient can chose to follow the link at the end of your message or not.

MrClamperSir
06-13-2011, 7:19 PM
I like the idea and would support this effort my forwarding it within my address book.

I direct a lot of people here but I feel like a quick "introduction" to what’s being done/what can be done would draw more people into the actual forums.

tankarian
06-13-2011, 7:44 PM
I like the idea and would support this effort my forwarding it within my address book.

I direct a lot of people here but I feel like a quick "introduction" to what’s being done/what can be done would draw more people into the actual forums.
Exactly, strength is in numbers. There are millions of gun owners in California, many of them our friends, relatives or clients who never heard of Calguns or Calguns Foundation. We need to find a way to let them know we exist, we help each other to protect our rights and to extend them an invitation to join us. So far nothing has been done (that I know of) to advertise our existence other than the short lived SF bus stop campaign. One city only, and I bet it cost a lot of money to do it. We can do this video and reach more people in every city in California at practically $0.00 distribution cost.

pitchbaby
06-13-2011, 8:55 PM
Something along these lines has been started with Nicki, myself, and others. Although, more help would be great... we had to put it on "hiatus" for a while... although this is about the timing when I thought we might pick it up again.

MrClamperSir
06-13-2011, 9:44 PM
Something along these lines has been started with Nicki, myself, and others. Although, more help would be great... we had to put it on "hiatus" for a while... although this is about the timing when I thought we might pick it up again.

Well lets hear what needs to be done and see if anyone out here can get to it.

tankarian
06-14-2011, 7:25 AM
Well lets hear what needs to be done and see if anyone out here can get to it.
I can do it. Just need help with the casting. I can make a list of the people I am looking for, but this initiative needs to have the support of the opinion leaders of Calguns othewise it will go unnoticed.

tiki
06-14-2011, 7:31 AM
they are rather interested in the latest gadgetry and boobetry.

Great idea! We can get Fergie to do the commercial. :)

tankarian
06-14-2011, 8:36 AM
- one young, hip white male (preferably making his living from arts)-----Filled
- one african-american male, professional (doctor, engineer or other such professions)----available
- one hispanic male (small business owner, or state employee)----available
- one white female or male, middle age or senior, home maker or retired veteran.----available
- one asian male or female, geeky looking (I know, it's stereotyping but it works) any profession will do.----available

I have a team of two film students who want to take the job, I've seen some of their work an it is excellent. They have their own HD camera, sound equipment and editing software (Final Cut Pro). This project will also be included in their portfolio so they are willing to do the work at their cost.

tankarian
06-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Casting is open. Anyone interested send me a PM

choprzrul
06-14-2011, 12:21 PM
May I suggest an additional category?

Disabled veteran in a wheelchair/crutches/prosthetic limbs/etc?

AJAX22
06-14-2011, 12:29 PM
very cool

Remember if this is done under correctly under the oversight of a 501c3 you can often qualify as a public service announcement.

tankarian
06-14-2011, 12:50 PM
May I suggest an additional category?

Disabled veteran in a wheelchair/crutches/prosthetic limbs/etc?

Good idea. However the total number of characters should be kept at 5 or 6 because I want the commercial run time to be 1 minute or less. Do you know anybody that fits the description?

tankarian
06-14-2011, 12:53 PM
very cool

Remember if this is done under correctly under the oversight of a 501c3 you can often qualify as a public service announcement.

If the right people are OK with this project we can name CGF as the producer of the video.

Dutch3
06-14-2011, 3:52 PM
How about a weathered and worn-looking grandfatherly veteran shown packing for a weekend outing. A narrator could be explaining the values the subject holds and the trials he has endured.

The video reveals the outing is a trip with his grandchildren. The bolt .22's come out, the targets go up and there are smiles all around. It could easily be 30 seconds on its own.

daybreak
06-14-2011, 4:02 PM
I work as a freelance cinematographer/videographer and as a grip/lighting electrician, and would love to offer my services for free.

Feel free to contact me.

FastFinger
06-14-2011, 4:24 PM
I'd be willing to assist (many years TV dir incl commercials). My buddy has a Red cam with full light pkg and would consider lending support. But equip is secondary - content /script is paramount. Could you pm me the treatment/script?

If we want to leverage the internet via youtube or whatever and go viral, especially if we aim to get in front of fence sitters and not just preach to the choir, then the spot has to really have that something special. Humor, surprise, shock, scandal, celebrity - it needs that zing that will compel people to forward and share it.

tankarian
06-14-2011, 4:44 PM
I'd be willing to assist (many years TV dir incl commercials). My buddy has a Red cam with full light pkg and would consider lending support. But equip is secondary - content /script is paramount. Could you pm me the treatment/script?

Just came with the idea and posted here today, I'm already working on the script, hope to have a draft in 1-2 days.

If we want to leverage the internet via youtube or whatever and go viral, especially if we aim to get in front of fence sitters and not just preach to the choir, then the spot has to really have that something special. Humor, surprise, shock, scandal, celebrity - it needs that zing that will compel people to forward and share it.

Excellent idea. I was thinking along more orthodox lines, something similar to the "I'm an American" ad (don't know if you remember it, was an inspirational piece preaching unity, it ran in 2001-2002)... but if you have something better, funnier and capable to create more buzz on the web, I would like to hear it. Maybe we can combine ideas from one script with the other.

tankarian
06-14-2011, 4:46 PM
I work as a freelance cinematographer/videographer and as a grip/lighting electrician, and would love to offer my services for free.

Feel free to contact me.

Great! We need a grip guy and all the expertise you have for the rest.

Connor P Price
06-14-2011, 5:46 PM
I had an idea for a commercial like this a while back, I know I posted it in a thread somewhere, but it was much more humor based than this. Might be fun to get a few going, most successful ad campaigns have a few in order to reach a broad audience. I'll search for the thread.

Connor P Price
06-14-2011, 5:50 PM
^Found the thread, I knew I had posted something like that but couldn't remember what it was. Funny idea, but probably not effective for this.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=6311628&postcount=4

tankarian
06-14-2011, 7:27 PM
Daybreak, fastfinger: I sent you the first draft, check your PM.

Ubermcoupe
06-14-2011, 8:00 PM
Great idea, especially if it promotes this network and others like it to millions of californians who don't know otherwise.

I didn't find this website until someone told me about it. :thumbsup:

hoffmang
06-14-2011, 8:11 PM
I'm certainly generally supportive but want to make sure we have a very professional end product and that we get the right messaging in the script. Feel free to email a draft to me when you're ready.

We'll circulate internally and see if there is any content or specific concerns or suggestions we can help with.

-Gene

tankarian
06-14-2011, 8:49 PM
I'm certainly generally supportive but want to make sure we have a very professional end product and that we get the right messaging in the script. Feel free to email a draft to me when you're ready.

We'll circulate internally and see if there is any content or specific concerns or suggestions we can help with.

-Gene

First draft sent by email.

choprzrul
06-14-2011, 10:19 PM
1 or 2 big name actors would help drive organic search results. i.e. someone searching for 'Demi Moore video' is much more likely to see the video if she is in it.

Makes me wonder if Ashton & Demi would be interested in getting involved with a cutting edge civil rights project.....

hoffmang
06-14-2011, 10:22 PM
The first draft is nicely on target. I'm going to provide a couple of minor tweeks, but the core idea is solid!

-Gene

mag360
06-14-2011, 10:49 PM
The Michel Lawyers video on "A legacy of Injustice, 20 years later the CA Assault Weapons Ban" would be AWESOME to see on TV in a 30 second to 1 minute blurb. Maybe have a couple different ones. Have the first second contain this:

"Warning, California does not want you to know this".

chiselchst
06-14-2011, 10:57 PM
The first draft is nicely on target. I'm going to provide a couple of minor tweeks, but the core idea is solid!

-Gene

WOW!

Very Excited... :43:

Will this be an outreach project to gain more support for CGF, something to attach to sigs to encourage new folks to join the movement, say with a link on signatures to a YT video?

Or an add, targeting the masses?

bigcalidave
06-15-2011, 12:57 AM
I love it. Keep it simple, all Calguns members. I agree with Fred (fastfinger), and you should certainly keep in close contact with him, he knows what he is doing :)

Funtimes
06-15-2011, 1:27 AM
CGF should qualify for PSA... right?

I mean if its a good product, it should get ran on radio / tv for free I believe.

bigcalidave
06-15-2011, 1:37 AM
The PSA has to be educational / informative. What is the "message" going to be?
Lot of good info on this site
http://www.psaresearch.com/networkclearance.html

tankarian
06-15-2011, 8:10 AM

-Gene

Thanks Gene, I am humbled by your appreciation and I am eagerly waiting for your input. Please keep in mind this script is just an idea of how the video MAY look like and it is very likely to change in a certain degree depending on the stories of the real life people we can find for the cast. I would really like to keep everything real: the people, their names and professions, their motivations to be gun owners and to join Calguns. This way nobody would be given the opportunity to say that what we did is fake propaganda and we put words in people's mouths.
The kids are also excited by the project, albeit one of them told me "some of my liberal profs aren't gonna be happy seeing my name on a pro-gun video".
I said "just tell them the liberal gay guy in the video was the one who came up with the idea and paid for execution" :D

pitchbaby
06-15-2011, 8:22 AM
Sorry, been busy. We had a production meeting (Nicki and myself). Got it boiled down to a concept. Time constraints have gotten in the way. What is unique with me is I am currently in possession of a bunch of video production equipment that would make most enthusiasts and small studio owners blush. I don't know very well how to use it though. It's a long story... anyway. If anyone wants to compare notes on what we have at this point. Please feel free to PM me.

tankarian
06-15-2011, 8:29 AM
What is unique with me is I am currently in possession of a bunch of video production equipment that would make most enthusiasts and small studio owners blush. I don't know very well how to use it though. It's a long story... anyway. If anyone wants to compare notes on what we have at this point. Please feel free to PM me.

Ever thought to donate some of it to two starving film students who offered their services for the CG video? I have their names and emails...:D

tankarian
06-15-2011, 5:49 PM
Bump for another casting call. Need 5 more volunteers, any takers?