PDA

View Full Version : Plaxico Joins the Brady Campaign

jdberger
06-13-2011, 4:50 PM
What a maroon.... (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/06/plaxico-burress-teams-with-brady-campaign-to-prevent-gun-violence/1)

Burress announced a partnership on Monday with the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and the National Urban League. He will advise people about the dangers of guns and will volunteer youth programs.

"If you're going to carry a weapon, make sure you've done everything properly," he said, "that you're obeying all the laws or the rules of that state, and you know fully how to operate the weapon if you choose to carry one."

I can at least get behind that last part.

A while back, someone did some figuring and determined that professional athletes were x times more likely to be assaulted/mugged/robbed than an "average person".

Sounds like darn good cause to me....

nick
06-13-2011, 4:56 PM
It's probably one of his parole conditions.

oni.dori
06-13-2011, 4:57 PM
Seem like nothing more than a PR ploy for him. Although, I am sure the BC is desperately clawing at the chance to try and be associated with someone somewhat relevant again.

Kodemonkey
06-13-2011, 4:58 PM

That's what I would have my money on.

Stonewalker
06-13-2011, 5:06 PM
I find it very interesting that he goes through the New York justice system and winds up a spokesmen for an anti-gun group. This was all part of his plea deal.

Apparently Bloomie got involved (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/regional/item_w3djOf7EFrNI4AvXYxv7AL;jsessionid=85C5BCC54B3 31FF97BD08D3C98170412):
Bloomberg said anything short of at least the 3 1/2-year minimum for felony gun possession would be "a sham, a mockery of the law."

Seems like somebody is using their elected office for their own gain. Doesn't seem right...

Burress's plea agreement with prosecutors -- a deal that still must be approved by New York State Supreme Court Justice Michael Melkonian presiding over the case -- calls for a sentence of two years in prison, and two years of post-release supervision. Burress pleaded guilty to a lesser criminal charge.
http://blogs.findlaw.com/courtside/2009/08/ex-giant-plaxico-burress-pleads-guilty-in-nyc-gun-case.html

wilit
06-13-2011, 5:22 PM

That's what I would have my money on.

My guess as well. They're a "non-profit" right? He probably gets credit for community service.

sfpcservice
06-13-2011, 5:23 PM
Seems like if that was his true intent he could do a lot better partnering with the 2a foundation. He'll throw them a few checks and do his required speaking and we'll never hear about it again I suspect.

Super Spy
06-13-2011, 5:27 PM
I never liked the guy anyway.

HowardW56
06-13-2011, 5:39 PM

>>>>>>>>>> :iagree: <<<<<<<<<<<<

He is a living, breathing example of how to do it all wrong!

bigcalidave
06-13-2011, 6:18 PM
Who cares, he's an idiot and shot himself in the leg. They can have him!!! lol. If they keep associating with idiots, even less people will listen to them!

Kid Stanislaus
06-13-2011, 6:34 PM
A while back, someone did some figuring and determined that professional athletes were x times more likely to be assaulted/mugged/robbed than an "average person".

I'd like to have figures showing what per cent of those attacks occured at bars. I stopped going to watering holes long ago on that account. Same for alleys. ;)

ohiknow
06-13-2011, 6:37 PM
Who cares, he's an idiot and shot himself in the leg. They can have him!!! lol. If they keep associating with idiots, even less people will listen to them!

+1 :D

VW*Mike
06-13-2011, 6:39 PM

winner winner, chicken dinner!

yellowfin
06-13-2011, 7:08 PM
Seems like somebody is using their elected office for their own gain. Doesn't seem right...It's the modus operandi of NY government. This state is a 3rd world dictatorship.

CHS
06-13-2011, 8:10 PM
"I'm Plaxico Burress. I'm an idiot who shot myself. GUNS ARE BAD, MMMKAY?!"

I'm with Bigcalidave. They can have him!

BigDogatPlay
06-13-2011, 8:14 PM

Add me to that list.... perfectly framed. He is a complete douche.

louderthangod
06-13-2011, 8:59 PM
I hear they have a hell of a quarterback.
:inquis:

putput
06-13-2011, 9:02 PM
Helmke on Burres two years ago.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-helmke/plaxico-burress-shoots-hi_b_147862.html

jdberger
06-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Found the article (http://www.wmsa.net/people/Alan%20Korwin/ak_081912_page_9_vol_57.htm). It's by Alan Korwin (second item):

2- Shooting Your Foot

The lamestream media told you:

Football star Plaxico Burress shot himself in the leg with an illegal handgun, and now faces up to 15 years in prison. He had a handgun permit in Florida but it expired earlier this year, and wouldn't have mattered in New York. The NFL encourages its players to stay away from guns because they're too dangerous, with Hall of Famer Mike Ditka saying, "I don't understand the league, why can anybody have a gun? I will have a policy, no guns, any NFL players we find out, period, you're suspended."

The Uninvited Ombudsman notes however that:

Sean Taylor was killed last year during a robbery at his house. Darrent Williams was killed in 2007 outside a nightclub. What makes these two events related is that Taylor played football for the Redskins, and Williams was with the Broncos.

While it's "only" two murders in a year, it calculates out to a murder rate of 118 per 100,000 (for pro-football players) compared to "only" 5.9 per 100,000 for the public. In other words, there is a 20 times greater chance of a football player being killed than you or me. It's higher than for even the highest risk group, black kids between 18 and 24 (a complex function of social and government policies, and the government-sponsored war on some drugs).

Rich, high profile, easy-to-spot football players are a natural target of the same perverse maggots that prey on the rest of society. Instead of recognizing this and screaming for their civil right of self defense to remain intact, the corrupt media screams at the man who shot himself in the leg. Then it provides ad space, disguised as "news," for a fat white cat who campaigns to deny the civil rights of black men to keep and bear arms. You have to have sympathy for Mike "Jim Crow" Ditka, since he comes off as wholly ignorant of the issue he addresses, promoting the disarming of the innocent, just like postbellum bigots in the south.

Immeasurable thanks to Dr. John Lott, who brought this my attention with his post for FOX news http://tinyurl.com/5mnfkz, and did all the math and background making my job a snap. John, you rule.

Not a single news story discussed gun safety, how to avoid shooting yourself in the leg, what errors this man made in gun handling, how he carried or anything that would benefit the public and help keep us safe. According to leading experts, that surprised no one.

ETA: the Lott link appears to just link to Fox's editorials. I'm sure that someone could find the thing with a lilttle Google-fu.

mlevans66
06-14-2011, 12:17 AM
Found the article (http://www.wmsa.net/people/Alan%20Korwin/ak_081912_page_9_vol_57.htm). It's by Alan Korwin (second item):

ETA: the Lott link appears to just link to Fox's editorials. I'm sure that someone could find the thing with a lilttle Google-fu.

And thank you for the knowlwedge! The true reason for gun control was started for reasons stated. To keep guns out of the hands of colored folk and later out of reach all but the rich and powerful.

Riflelover
06-14-2011, 12:19 AM

That's the first thing I thought of.

tiki
06-14-2011, 5:27 AM
Yeah, and Michael Vick works with the Humane Society. What next, Anthony Wiener is going to go to schools to talk about safe social media? Give me a ****ing break.

nicki
06-14-2011, 6:03 AM
Plaxico made a huge mistake, he is probably trying to get back into the NFL and will do whatever it will take to get someone to take him.

He has to convince potential teams that he is going to avoid things that will get him into legal trouble.

He is getting up in the years, he has maybe a few years left to bank on things. He is dealing from a position of weakness with contracts.

Gray's case actually does have bearing on his. When Gray wins, it may set a precendent that could lead to Plaxico getting his conviction overturned.

Nicki

cdtx2001
06-14-2011, 9:04 AM

Maybe he can team up with the "Glock Foh-Tay" guy and they can tell all the school children how evil guns are.

You're right though, they can have him. Especially since he joined with the enemy.

joefreas
06-14-2011, 9:28 AM
Look at the bright side, maybe he will accidentally shoot one of them.

Interfan
06-14-2011, 9:45 AM
What's next? OJ Simpson as a spokesman for the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence?

The Bradys can have Plaxico because he will screw up again. He can't help himself. They will have their reputaion hung around his "gangsta" neck.

VegasND
06-14-2011, 10:00 AM
I was thinking Lorena Bobbitt ...

But, yeah, as long as they get this 'quality' of advisors things are moving in a good direction.
What's next? OJ Simpson as a spokesman for the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence?

The Bradys can have Plaxico because he will screw up again. He can't help himself. They will have their reputaion hung around his "gangsta" neck.
I was thinking Lorena Bobbitt ...

But, yeah, as long as they get this 'quality' of spokesmen I'm pleased.

tiki
06-14-2011, 10:52 AM
"Look at my situation. Ever since I was 7 years old, I thought of playing football, back in 1984, and my goal was to be an NFL player and accomplish great things — win a Super Bowl and things like that," he said. "And I made a bad decision, and it can all be taken away from you so quick, literally in the blink of an eye. You have to be cognizant of every decision that you make and every decision you make poses a consequence. And with that being said, you have to make the right choice."

Yeah, so, don't walk around in a bar with your finger in the trigger of your concealed Glock. Accidentally went off when you tried to stop it from sliding down your pants leg? Yeah, right. IDIOT.

dantodd
06-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Interesting that if you try to exercise your constitutionally enumerated fundamental 2A rights (no matter how poorly) you're lifelong persona non grata in the NFL. If you kill hundreds of dogs and fund/participate in dog fighting it's A-OK come on back as soon as you're out of jail.

Sutcliffe
06-14-2011, 2:24 PM
The emperor for life of NYC probably has a lot of pull with NY state football programs.

Hopalong
06-14-2011, 2:44 PM
This has to be the most ultimate put down to his gangsta roots.

Dem homeboys be dissin' him in da hood.

dantodd
06-14-2011, 3:09 PM
This has to be the most ultimate put down to his gangsta roots.

Dem homeboys be dissin' him in da hood.

I don't know where Plaxico grew up or if he was in a gang before going into the NFL. Can you elaborate? It would certainly make a difference if he were actually a prohibited person before this event or if he were a known gang member.

Stonewalker
06-14-2011, 3:09 PM
Aaaaand Paul the boot-licker has posted a blog about it. Feel free to comment...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-helmke/plaxico-burress-can-be-a_b_876821.html

CHS
06-14-2011, 5:50 PM
I don't know where Plaxico grew up or if he was in a gang before going into the NFL. Can you elaborate? It would certainly make a difference if he were actually a prohibited person before this event or if he were a known gang member.

He was definitely not a prohibited person BEFORE this. He had a Florida CCW, so that means he underwent a background check at least.

Interesting that if you try to exercise your constitutionally enumerated fundamental 2A rights (no matter how poorly) you're lifelong persona non grata in the NFL. If you kill hundreds of dogs and fund/participate in dog fighting it's A-OK come on back as soon as you're out of jail.

I have never understood that either. I've always felt that professional sports should act as a group of people that should be looked UP to, and not because they make a lot of money. Vick should have been barred from life for behavior that can be described as nothing short of cruel and evil.

Yet all is forgiven. He's a good sports player, so the league has no problems letting him (and others) back in the game. Sadly, it's strictly about money and nothing more.

Ubermcoupe
06-14-2011, 5:56 PM
:puke:

I like how Brady "converted" him to denounce guns, less the fact that as a prohibited person for life he can't touch them no matter what...

CHS
06-14-2011, 5:57 PM
I like how Brady "converted" him to denounce guns, less the fact that as a prohibited person for life he can't touch them no matter what...

Pshh.. Technicalities ;)

oaklander
06-14-2011, 6:20 PM
LOL - he got soooooo PWNED by the judge in THIS ONE!!!!

EPIC GANGSTA FAIL. My friends in Oak are likely thinking the same thing. . .

This stupid campaign will actually have the EFFECT of making "not liking guns" - EXTREMELY UNCOOL

. . .AMONG THE VERY PEOPLE WHO SHOULD NOT HAVE THEM.

Brady did not think this one through. It's almost like they are throwing the game on most stuff these days. Amusing.

GOEX FFF
06-14-2011, 6:52 PM
+1 The bRaDys can have him... like LCAV who "uses" a guy (I forget his name) that admitted to a plot of premeditated murder and felony possession of an unregistered suppressor.

They sure know how to choose their "spoke persons".

docflash
06-14-2011, 7:25 PM

So why is is that Burress is a "gangsta?"

According to his Wikipedia entry he's been in organized sports since junior high school and has played college and pro ball. He grew up in the suburbs, went to a good high school and did a year at a military academy which was a college prep program. He had a CCW in Florida. He has two kids with his wife, not his baby mama.

He made some big mistakes: he was in NYC with a gun in a bar without a CCW (as if he could have got one) and without a holster. So shoot him. Wait, he already shot himself, lost his job and was made an example of by the that *****, Michael Bloomberg.

So why the "gangsta" title. Because he's famous? Because he played pro football? Or is it because he's ........?

Interfan
06-14-2011, 7:44 PM
So why the "gangsta" title. Because he's famous? Because he played pro football? Or is it because he's ........?

It's not because he is black if that is what you are implying.

It is because he's an idiot that takes an unholstered Glock to a nightclub and shoots himself with it. What a dumb ****!

He is an NFL player at a nightclub in Manhattan where the biggest threat to his safety is maybe cutting his finger while unhooking a bra strap. It's not like a celebrity of any kind can't easily get a carry permit in New York or anywhere else.

KandyRedCoi
06-14-2011, 7:53 PM

^this

but he should probably do more research before joining any kind of campaign lol

Arisaka
06-14-2011, 8:12 PM
"National Urban League"?!?! WTFLOL...:grouphug:

Ubermcoupe
06-14-2011, 9:03 PM
...the biggest threat to his safety is maybe cutting his finger while unhooking a bra strap. ...

It's actually from the wire cage around the bottle of cristal champagne. ;) or the cork now that I think about it...:chris:

docflash
06-14-2011, 9:31 PM
It's not because he is black if that is what you are implying.

It is because he's an idiot that takes an unholstered Glock to a nightclub and shoots himself with it. What a dumb ****!

He is an NFL player at a nightclub in Manhattan where the biggest threat to his safety is maybe cutting his finger while unhooking a bra strap. It's not like a celebrity of any kind can't easily get a carry permit in New York or anywhere else.

We usually just call those guys dumbasses.

I'm just doubting that the term "gangsta" would have come up if this were Ben Roethlisberger.

Interfan
06-14-2011, 10:29 PM
We usually just call those guys dumbasses.

I'm just doubting that the term "gangsta" would have come up if this were Ben Roethlisberger.

How dare you play the race card in Barack Obama's America?

I don't know if Ben Roethlisberger walked around like an extra in a rap video with a gun in his pants, but if he did, he'd be "gangsta" too. It has less to do with his color and more with his persona and idiotic actions. I guess my use of "gangsta" as a put down is focussed on gang members and wannabes; if you look around, there's many colors trying to look like fools.

dantodd
06-15-2011, 2:23 AM
How dare you play the race card in Barack Obama's America?

I don't know if Ben Roethlisberger walked around like an extra in a rap video with a gun in his pants, but if he did, he'd be "gangsta" too. It has less to do with his color and more with his persona and idiotic actions. I guess my use of "gangsta" as a put down is focussed on gang members and wannabes; if you look around, there's many colors trying to look like fools.

Wow, I know at least 2 ex-cops who carry IWB with no holster at times, and did so regularly before retirement. Both they're both old white guys in their 60's (early) so I guess you'd call them "gangsta" too.

Face it, you pegged the guy with a bunch of urban stereotypes with no idea what his background is. If you don't know anything about his actual background what do you know about him that makes you decide he's a "gangsta" sipping cristal with his for-tay?

G60
06-15-2011, 8:33 AM
what do you know about him that makes you decide he's a "gangsta" sipping cristal with his for-tay?

I'm pretty sure the answer to that is 'his skin color'

Hopalong
06-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Wow, I know at least 2 ex-cops who carry IWB with no holster at times, and did so regularly before retirement. Both they're both old white guys in their 60's (early) so I guess you'd call them "gangsta" too.

Face it, you pegged the guy with a bunch of urban stereotypes with no idea what his background is. If you don't know anything about his actual background what do you know about him that makes you decide he's a "gangsta" sipping cristal with his for-tay?

Look, you can stick up for this guy all you want

But as far as I'm concerned, there is an old expression

"If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck"...

"It's a duck".

As far as your ex cop, IWB, no holster friends...

I wouldn't necessarily call them "gangsta"

Something more like "idiots" would do

Interfan
06-15-2011, 1:07 PM
If you don't know anything about his actual background what do you know about him that makes you decide he's a "gangsta" sipping cristal with his for-tay?

The fact that he shot himself in a nightclub with his for-tay while sippin' Cristal is exactly what I use to base my assessment.

His actions and choices make his background insignificant. I can care less about where he grew up and what his father does for a living. He chose who he wanted to be or pretend to be. If you have a PhD in astrophysics but walk around looking and talking like Ali-G, and shoot yourself with the Glock that's in your pants, what do your actions say to the outside world? Plaxico had a choice when he walked out of his house that evening. He chose what he chose and deserves the consequences of that choice.

The automatic assumption of racism is pretty short sighted. If that is where you automatically go with any "urban" characterizations, maybe you need to examine your own ideas about people and prejudice. Maybe you need to also see more of the world to know that there are plenty of white and brown scumbags that are wannabe mafiosi, not just black guys. It is also stupid to stick up for the gang/mafia/criminal wannabe persona as well. If someone (white, black, or brown) is out trying to look and act the part of a hoodlum, that is what they are judged on. The "urban" stereotypes are similar in different parts of the world.

It is not a black/white/brown thing, but a criminal glorification thing. Do we glorify Al Qaeda terrorists by adopting their "style"? Why should anyone glorify or imitate the mafia/gang/criminal groups that have brought so much pain to so many as well? "Gangsta" is a put down to these idiots that choose to imitate the scum of the earth.

Italian mafia scumbag "urban" stereotype; and yes, I would classify this guy as "gangsta":
http://www.adn.es/clipping/ADNIMA20080523_3949/8.jpg