PDA

View Full Version : Argentina/guns

ubet
06-13-2011, 2:36 PM
Not sure where to post this....

My wife and I might be taking a trip to Argentina next year, and was wondering if its possible to take a pistol with you (although I doubt it). But if it is, what are the regs, does anyone on here know?

Thanks

dwtt
06-13-2011, 4:32 PM
You can ask at your nearest Argentinian consulate or the embassy in Washington, D.C. The biggest problem would be getting the proper paper work so your gun doesn't get confiscated by customs in Argentina. If you do get permission to bring a gun, fill out a CBP Form 4457 and have it signed by US Customs -before- you leave, otherwise you will have a hard time bringing your gun back into the US when you return. You can get the form signed at any major international airport in the US, just head to the international terminal where they have a Customs office.

socalblue
06-13-2011, 4:52 PM
Shotguns are easy (Rifles a bit more difficult) if you have the proper hunting permits. Handguns are a major no-no. Used to be able to hire local security pretty cheaply (most are retire LEO who can carry). Not sure anymore.

That being said, if you have connections to a wealthy land owner almost anything is possible ...

Cato
06-13-2011, 6:08 PM
...if I may chime in, Argentinian women are hot!

yellowfin
06-13-2011, 6:13 PM
Good wines too, LOVE Mendoza Malbecs. Going dove hunting? My friends tell me dove hunting down there is AWESOME.

ubet
06-13-2011, 6:18 PM
No, its through a deal that my wifes brother (I refuse to call him my brother in law) and his wife could get, but we would have to go with them. I cant stand spending 3 days around him, more or less having to be on an airplane and stay 2 weeks in a foreign country with him.

ubet
06-13-2011, 6:22 PM
Welp, I will call an argentine embassy, it seems like I have read that firearms arent a big deal down there. But alas, I have no idea, I just dont like going anywhere unarmed.

CHS
06-13-2011, 6:52 PM
A long time ago I was looking at Argentina as an option to move to and/or have a very long vacation to. At the time I remember reading that their gun laws were basically some of the most open in South America (as far as structured gun laws are concerned).

I don't know what, if anything, has changed. You may actually be able to simply purchase a gun down there while you're visiting. If it's a long enough visit it may even be worthwhile and then you just sell the gun before you leave, OR, you talk to the BATFE about importing the gun back to the US (probably easier than exporting a gun TO Argentina).

ubet
06-13-2011, 6:58 PM
chs, that is something else I was thinking of.

BigDogatPlay
06-13-2011, 7:02 PM
It's an anti site so take it for what it's worth.... link here. (http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/argentina) A call into the consulate would be a good bet.

I know guys, as well as Argentine ex-pats, who head down in the summer months to hunt. Bird guns are pretty easy, so long as your paperwork is in order at both ends... or so I'm told.

Glock22Fan
06-13-2011, 7:17 PM
From what I've seen in the hunting and gun magazines, in some places the doves are so thick that you can literally shoot hundreds, maybe thousands, in a day, depending upon how much ammo you can afford. The pictures show the skies so black it would be hard to identify any one bird to aim at, and the possibility of hitting several in one shot is quite likely.

The locals collect them all up and feed the local villages for several days.

Don't know about handguns though.

ddestruel
06-13-2011, 9:36 PM
From what I've seen in the hunting and gun magazines, in some places the doves are so thick that you can literally shoot hundreds, maybe thousands, in a day, depending upon how much ammo you can afford. The pictures show the skies so black it would be hard to identify any one bird to aim at, and the possibility of hitting several in one shot is quite likely.

The locals collect them all up and feed the local villages for several days.

Don't know about handguns though.

1500-2000 in 5-6 hours of shooting in the brush is pretty norm you get into the fields and oofda it makes my shoulder throb without even pulling the trigger......... rifles and shotguns were easy, call the consulate fill out the paperwork spend 3-4 hours in customs and you're good to go. i dont even dabble in handguns

Lionsfeast
06-13-2011, 9:41 PM
I heard that the main obstacle is paying a hefty fee ($100+) for every gun you take. If you have cheap rifles, it's probably better to rent them down there.