PDA

View Full Version : Moving from Texas to California

xXNuggettXx
06-13-2011, 1:53 PM
Hi all,

I have been reading for quite some time through all of the California laws regarding bringing firearms into the state and still have a few more questions that I wasn't able to answer through reading old posts. I'm moving from Texas to California (Livermore) and want to be completely prepared before I move.

I understand that all handguns must be registered using the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report. Along with this do I need to also acquire a Handgun Safety Certificate?

Secondly (and mainly), I have an AR-15 that I would like to bring into the state but am uncertain of the steps I need to take to do so legally. I have a rifle that is not on the ban list (Stag Arms) with flash suppressor, pistol grip, telescoping stock, and forward grip. I plan on equipping the rifle with a bullet button before moving into the state. Are there any other steps I need to do to bring the rifle in legally?

Finally, I have magazines that are over the 10 round California limit. If I disassemble them into their component parts and keep the springs and followers separate from the bodies, are they legal to bring in?

Thanks for all the help!

Bigtime1
06-13-2011, 1:57 PM
Can you make a Salt Lick or Rudy's run on your way out the door?

chaseface
06-13-2011, 2:04 PM
This is my understanding, if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me soon enough. The handgun safety certificate is only required when purchasing a handgun, there is no state registry so nobody will know whether or not you have one, but you need to present it when purchasing one. Yes put the bullet button on the AR before entering the state. All of the other features on your AR will not make a difference once the Bullet Button is on it and you do not need to do anything else to import it. Yes disassemble any high cap mags but I don't think you need to store the parts separately, just don't reassemble them in the state. And also don't import anything else that would be illegal here like a Taurus Judge. As far as moving to Cali... I'm sorry, but welcome!

ilkhan
06-13-2011, 3:33 PM
Don't move; stay in the free world.

ancora
06-13-2011, 3:39 PM
Be advised: California has a non-enforced "death penalty."

Exile Machine
06-13-2011, 3:44 PM
Swimming against the stream? Good luck with the move.

Definitely break down your high caps before moving. You may find you like to travel across the border to a free state to go shooting once in awhile and you can always assemble them out of state and disassemble before coming back in.

Quser.619
06-13-2011, 3:48 PM
Check the AW/OLL flow chart under the drop down menu above, labeled "AW & OLL Guides" Also remember that you cannot use any magazine that holds more than bullets while utilizing a bullet-button.

Personally I cannot still get straight what is required to import any handgun that is off roster, other than you need to file the necessary paperwork & pay fees. I'd maybe suggest PM'ing one of the higher ups to get informed beforehand.

Remember to dissemble any magazine over 10 rounds, period. Importing is definitely a crime. Keep them dissembled once here.

Midian
06-13-2011, 3:49 PM
God man, why the hell are you coming to this place? Yeah, the weather's awesome, and we have a factory that churns out hot blondes...but MAN, you're in for for some serious liberty punishment.

HBrebel
06-13-2011, 3:53 PM
you can find all the info on this forum just search. Welcome to the republic of california. As much as I hate it here because of the politics and rules, I have no options elsewhere so here I stay. I have hope that as people become more and more pro-gun (and they are) california will become a strong defender of our second amendment. This state gets a bad rap due to all the gang activity, which is used to promote anti-second amendment crap. Make sure you look into the local NRA groups and Gun Owners of CA and other networks.

Librarian
06-13-2011, 5:02 PM
Hi all,

I have been reading for quite some time through all of the California laws regarding bringing firearms into the state and still have a few more questions that I wasn't able to answer through reading old posts. I'm moving from Texas to California (Livermore) and want to be completely prepared before I move.

I understand that all handguns must be registered using the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report. Along with this do I need to also acquire a Handgun Safety Certificate?

Secondly (and mainly), I have an AR-15 that I would like to bring into the state but am uncertain of the steps I need to take to do so legally. I have a rifle that is not on the ban list (Stag Arms) with flash suppressor, pistol grip, telescoping stock, and forward grip. I plan on equipping the rifle with a bullet button before moving into the state. Are there any other steps I need to do to bring the rifle in legally?

Finally, I have magazines that are over the 10 round California limit. If I disassemble them into their component parts and keep the springs and followers separate from the bodies, are they legal to bring in?

Thanks for all the help!

Hi, Nuggett,

You -have- been reading, and you have it all correct.

Just to reconfirm:

New Resident Handgun Ownership Report? Check.

Handgun Safety Certificate? Not needed until you buy a handgun. Check.

Off-list AR-type? Check.

Features? Check.

Bullet-button to make features OK on off-list lower? Check.

Disassemble large-capacity mags to kits? Check. (Make sure you do that for handgun mags, too.)

You won't see CCW from Livermore or Alameda County for a bit.

It will probably be convenient if you have at least one locking gun case for transporting your handguns (just a gun lock is not enough; hard or soft case is fine, so long as, in your opinion, it's 'secure').

todd2968
06-13-2011, 5:07 PM
If you can stay in TX !!!!!!!!

Super Spy
06-13-2011, 5:10 PM
Welcome and I'm sorry you have to leave liberty behind. You may want to acquire a few off roster handguns prior to your move, as you won't be able to buy them here. I'm sure others will have suggestions if you're interested. They will also make excellent barter material as they are worth more than their free state price.

Guns like XD-m's, a bunch of 1911's (not an expert, but if it's not on the list, it's worth more) you can freely sell or trade those as long as your do it face to face in a private party transfer. I personally want a CZ SP-01 Phantom, only about 20% of CZ pistols are on the roster as I guess that's all that makes business sense for CZ. The stated reason for the roster is safety, the real reason is they make a bunch of money off of it and feel good by depriving law abiding citizens of their fundamental rights that are enshrined in the constitution.

microwaveguy
06-13-2011, 5:32 PM
Well welcome to California ..........If your thinking of any new handguns I would buy them before getting to California. We have "the roster" here that limits our selection and I second what Librarian said about a case for your pistols.

HondaMasterTech
06-13-2011, 6:04 PM
Oh, dear God! NO!

Not only did I move away from California I moved as far as you can get. Never looked back.

thedrickel
06-13-2011, 6:18 PM
If you break the AR into upper and lower halves, you can wait on the bullet button until you're ready to reassemble it, make it featureless, or whatever.

xXNuggettXx
06-13-2011, 6:31 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. I would love to stay in Texas but unfortunately California has afforded me a vocational opportunity, A.K.A. a job, that I can't seem to find elsewhere thanks to the current state of our economy. Off roster handguns are a good investment? I'll look into it. As if I needed another excuse to shop for more handguns.

Fate
06-13-2011, 8:47 PM
As an ex-pat Texan, I gotta add to the chorus. "Don't do it."

Doubtless when you took Texan History in school you learned the Davey Crockett quote "Y'all can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas."

Well THIS is hell.

louderthangod
06-13-2011, 8:54 PM
Only on a gun forum would people tell someone to choose Texas over California...maybe some of you guys are doing this whole California thing wrong :D

yellowfin
06-13-2011, 8:55 PM
Also be advised to leave all NFA items outside CA.

Bud11
06-13-2011, 8:59 PM
If you have to, you have to. But, after 35 years I'm off to CO soon. Yay!

rabagley
06-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. I would love to stay in Texas but unfortunately California has afforded me a vocational opportunity, A.K.A. a job, that I can't seem to find elsewhere thanks to the current state of our economy. Off roster handguns are a good investment? I'll look into it. As if I needed another excuse to shop for more handguns.

Colt 1911's are gold here. Get a couple of Centennial editions and name your price.

ALSystems
06-14-2011, 7:27 AM
Welcome to California.

Although you find California has great weather it also has:
:( High prices

:mad: High taxes

:( Low freedom and

:eek: too many brain dead voters that seem to collect in the Los Angeles & San Francisco areas.

These things are connected.

California ranks near the bottom according to this dowloadable 2011 freedom ranking compiled by scholars. You may find it interesting.
http://mercatus.org/freedom-50-states-2011

California has dropped quite a bit since the previous ranking by these same scholars dated 2009.

louderthangod
06-14-2011, 7:57 AM
Funny that the large cities of California rank as some of the most educated cities in America while the central valley is littered with some of the poorest educated...must be all of those brains we eat.

ckprax
06-14-2011, 9:19 AM
Funny that the large cities of California rank as some of the most educated cities in America while the central valley is littered with some of the poorest educated...must be all of those brains we eat.

Being educated does not mean you have commonsense or think critically.

To the OP - As soon as you build up a nice emergency fund I would start looking for work back in Texas. The benefits of living in CA simply do not outweigh all of the BS you have to put up with.