PDA

View Full Version : Why 2 different chokes on O/U?

runway1
06-13-2011, 9:56 AM
I see many guns advertised with IC/M chokes and other combos, often fixed. Why would you want a double barrel with two different chokes?

If you're shooting clay, wouldn't you want two of the same chokes?

plumbum
06-13-2011, 10:03 AM
When two clays are thrown, the tighter choke is used for the first clay, and the more open choke is used for the second, since they travel away from the shooter as they fly.

Or perhaps I am doing it backwards (I can only hit the damn things when they are on the ground anyway).

aippi
06-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Yep, you got it backwards plum. Most O/U and SXS have two chokes as they are bird guns. You use the open choke for a close shot and the more restrictive choke for a longer or follow up shot.

runway1
06-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Or perhaps I am doing it backwards (I can only hit the damn things when they are on the ground anyway).

That's funny:D. So, If you're up at a single throw station, would you replace that shell before the double throw station?

SixPointEight
06-13-2011, 10:10 AM
That's funny:D. So, If you're up at a single throw station, would you replace that shell before the double throw station?

You'd only load one shell for the single

plumbum
06-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Yeah, now that the coffee is kicking in it makes sense: tighter choke means denser patterns at longer ranges. Like I said, you line those clay birds up on the 20 yard berm and I won't miss one of them!

aippi
06-13-2011, 10:42 AM
I don't even bother to try to shoot them as they are going to bust when they hit the ground anyway. Saves ammo.

runway1
06-13-2011, 10:44 AM
You'd only load one shell for the single

Ah, makes sense. So, you'd load the more open barrel for the single shot and then a the double station, you'd load both a fire the more open barrel first, correct?

Which barrel gets the open choke, top or bottom or preference?

runway1
06-13-2011, 10:46 AM
I don't even bother to try to shoot them as they are going to bust when they hit the ground anyway. Saves ammo.

I've heard some lame ones, but you two are genuinly funny. I'm using both lines at the range and taking full credit as well - thanks;)!

BigDogatPlay
06-13-2011, 11:05 AM
I usually have my o/u set up with Modified, or Improved Modified, on the bottom barrel and Full on top. This way I can shoot 16 yard, handicap or doubles without changing anything out on my gun.

Bottom barrel goes first by default on my gun, unless I select top. So on doubles the top barrel going second is for reaching out to get that bird, which has usually flow a ways out by the time my slow, sorry azz swings over to it.

:)

edgerly779
06-13-2011, 11:47 AM
aippi has it right . Long before skeet and target shooting hunting was the norm. Good shotguns have selective barrels so you can pick the barrel that fits the distance .

mif_slim
06-13-2011, 1:33 PM
Yep, you got it backwards plum. Most O/U and SXS have two chokes as they are bird guns. You use the open choke for a close shot and the more restrictive choke for a longer or follow up shot.

+1

I was thinking... it'll be harder to hit a clay close up with a full choke, then try to hit a clay with a open choke at longer distance.....

aippi
06-13-2011, 2:05 PM
My method works and after busting a Dismal 15 of 50 at the Ilion Gun Club infront of the Remington Instructors I have have to move to my default plan. This is what happens when you only shoot at them little buggers once every three years. So letting them hit the ground and break is my best back up plan since the point is to break them little buggers, right.

JagerTroop
06-13-2011, 2:32 PM
My method works and after busting a Dismal 15 of 50 at the Ilion Gun Club infront of the Remington Instructors I have have to move to my default plan. This is what happens when you only shoot at them little buggers once every three years. So letting them hit the ground and break is my best back up plan since the point is to break them little buggers, right.

Lol. Just shoot the box, before they get loaded. I can usually break every single clay in the case with no more than 3 shots :D Then it's off to the clubhouse to brag of my marksmanship.

aippi
06-13-2011, 5:11 PM
I like that idea Jager, I can then bragg I busted the entire string. What is even worse then my 15 for 50 was the first time I was in Illion and they took us to Illion Gun Range and let us grab any weapon to use we wanted. I saw this beautiful high end 28ga and having never fired one I grab that. 11 of 50 later and with 20+ LEO picking on me I was humbled. Anyone out there busting these clays with a 28ga is the guy I don't want to have get into a gun fight against. I can put more shot out there with my Daisy Red Rider then that 28ga, yet there are guys using them and using them effectively.

BigDogatPlay
06-13-2011, 7:56 PM
What's truly humbling, JD, is my neighbor across the street. He shoots nothing but .410 anymore because his shoulders are bum and I regularly see him bust 23 or better a round. Makes me want to exercise the Jager-option above, shoot the case of clays and call it good.

I like to think I am a fair wing shot, but there's no way I could score that well with a .410.

aippi
06-13-2011, 8:21 PM
I'd have a better chance with a .22 then a .410. Guys like him put the rest of us in our place for sure.

Brd_Hntr
06-13-2011, 8:25 PM
Skeet Doubles: Going away bird gets the tighter choke, and the incoming bird get the open choke. You should be shooting the going away bird first.

Hunting: In walk up bird hunting, the bird gets up when you are close, but flies away from you. The open choke is fired first and the follow-up shot at a greater distance requires more choke.

Older non-selective, single trigger doubles fire the more open choked barrel first then the more tightly choked barrel. A lot of the older shotguns had two triggers, so your finger picked the correctly choked barrel at the shot. In side-by-sides the right barrel is conventionally the more open choke. An over-and-under shotgun, the under barrel carries the more open choke constriction.

POWG
06-13-2011, 8:57 PM
POWG's head is spinning ... and since he should not get in ...he is out!

$nake-Eye$
06-13-2011, 9:35 PM
:rofl2:

Lol. Just shoot the box, before they get loaded. I can usually break every single clay in the case with no more than 3 shots :D Then it's off to the clubhouse to brag of my marksmanship.

$nake-Eye$
06-13-2011, 9:45 PM
I guess I go against the grain. I like having the more open choke on the top with the tighter choke on the bottom. I shoot more often with the top barrel; it's closer to the sight and feels "more accurate" ; illogical but my personal preference...

Skeet Doubles: Going away bird gets the tighter choke, and the incoming bird get the open choke. You should be shooting the going away bird first.

Hunting: In walk up bird hunting, the bird gets up when you are close, but flies away from you. The open choke is fired first and the follow-up shot at a greater distance requires more choke.

Older non-selective, single trigger doubles fire the more open choked barrel first then the more tightly choked barrel. A lot of the older shotguns had two triggers, so your finger picked the correctly choked barrel at the shot. In side-by-sides the right barrel is conventionally the more open choke. An over-and-under shotgun, the under barrel carries the more open choke constriction.