PDA

View Full Version : Silver plated barrels?

runway1
06-13-2011, 6:47 AM
I'm looking at a used 12 gauge, O/U. Owner says "barrels have been professionally silver electroplated". Looks great!. I'm concerned with a small chip in the plating as well as the overall idea of plating the barrels.

Does anybody have any rexperiences or thoughts on plated barrels? Thanks!

Trapper
06-13-2011, 7:19 AM
I've seen chrome and nickel but never seen silver used to plate a shotgun barrel. A friend of mine has a nickel plated Browning auto five that I believe was made in the late 1960's. The only plated shotguns I've seen in recent years are coach guns and Remington & Winchester marine shotguns.

MossbergMan
06-13-2011, 7:58 AM
If the plating is done right and the gun is cared for in a reasonable manner, normal use shouldn't chip a plating job of any kind off. I've seen nickle plating wear off in areas rubbing on holsters, but no chips. If this is truely silver I'd bet it's a "BBQ gun" (looked at a lot but not shot much).
I have hard chromed 1911's from the late 80's still intact. These were my IPSC guns. If you want a shooter, try and find out who did the plating and if the price is right....go for it.

runway1
06-13-2011, 8:09 AM
Silver is soft. I think you guys are right. I bet it's actually Ni or chrome.

BigDogatPlay
06-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Precious metals in general are soft. The more precious they are, generally, the softer. I'd agree with the above that if the bores are truly plated with silver that the gun is a looker, and not a shooter.

I'd guess that a chromed bore is more likely, with nickled the next most likely.