PDA

View Full Version : WeHo Gay Pride Parade-After Action Report

AndrewMendez
06-12-2011, 10:29 PM
West Hollywood Pride parade-After Actions report

Today was the West Hollywood gay pride parade and festival, and yet again, members of CalGuns and their friends and family came down to march as the Pink Pistols, a LGBT organization of gun owners.

The overall event was a much larger crowd then the Long Beach parade a few weeks ago, unfortunately, the group of people with our contingent, was significantly smaller, at just under a dozen people.

This event was deep in enemy territory, and a test run so to speak. West Hollywood is home to some of the most Anti Gun individuals in the Country, and I am very pleased to report that we did not get one boo! I am positive that we made people think a second time about gun rights, being a civil right.

Pinkie, the Benelli Semi Automatic replica shotgun, painted pink, with the detachable....errr...16" dildo, was a huge success yet again. Regardless of the individuals who thought it would send a bad message, many many people along the parade route stopped GettoPhilosopher to snap a quick picture. The streets were lined with hundreds of LACo Sheriffs officers, and we even got a laugh out of most of them, after a few funny looks of course. Only 1 questioned if it was real, with a smile on his face, however, he didn't come close enough to give it a real look. One even asked if he could use it for training at the Academy :eek:!

All and all, I am planning on assisting with expanding the membership of the pink pistols, as well as continuing to march in these parades. The flags looked beautiful, and thank you for everyone who donated to them. They are heading up North to be at the San Francisco parade, look alive for that thread. They looked stellar.

Andrew Mendez

AndrewMendez
06-12-2011, 10:30 PM
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/bbiggs_/WeHoParade.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/bbiggs_/DSC_1794.jpg

yakmon
06-12-2011, 10:31 PM
:useless:

it had to be done!

yakmon
06-12-2011, 10:32 PM
i speak too soon!

AndrewMendez
06-12-2011, 10:32 PM
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/bbiggs_/DSC_1802.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/bbiggs_/DSC_1803.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/bbiggs_/DSC_1805.jpg

AndrewMendez
06-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Green hornet car, with 1919's that were Hollywoodized
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/bbiggs_/DSC_1832.jpg

I just posted this picture, to give you an idea of the parking situation.
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/bbiggs_/DSC_1852.jpg

louderthangod
06-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Very cool. While there are many anti-gun people on the left hand side of the political spectrum there are many that are into guns and believe in gun rights like myself. I think reaching out to those folks and letting them know that the second amendment and gun rights are the exclusive property of the right wing. Besides, they're likely to do the best job of promoting gun ownership to their friends. Hopefully I'll be in town and see you guys at pride SF.

CavTrooper
06-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Pretty sad turnout for SoCal, I hope yall were able to accomplish alot with the little participation you had.

Hope you have a better turnout next time.

johnny1290
06-12-2011, 11:09 PM
FWIW I live in weho, I'm not gay, and I like guns. There's more of us than you might think, but yeah, I wouldn't expect a pro gun crowd at the parade.

You all might have changed a few people's attitudes about weapons, good on you!

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

jshoebot
06-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Good job Andrew and all who were involved! Hopefully the turnout will be better next time. But any presence is good presence! :thumbsup:

bjl333
06-12-2011, 11:17 PM
:thumbsup: AM.

AndrewMendez
06-13-2011, 12:04 AM
Very cool. While there are many anti-gun people on the left hand side of the political spectrum there are many that are into guns and believe in gun rights like myself. I think reaching out to those folks and letting them know that the second amendment and gun rights are the exclusive property of the right wing. Besides, they're likely to do the best job of promoting gun ownership to their friends. Hopefully I'll be in town and see you guys at pride SF.

Very good point. I know not everyone on the "other side" is anti gun, however, most of them are. ;) I agree that they will do a good job at promoting firearms among friends.

Pretty sad turnout for SoCal, I hope yall were able to accomplish alot with the little participation you had.

Hope you have a better turnout next time.

Indeed a poor turnout. I had a ton of personal friends RSVP to the event, but every single one of them flaked...worst part..most of them are gay. Regardless, with so many members in SoCal, it was a little frustrating that more people didn't show up.

FWIW I live in weho, I'm not gay, and I like guns. There's more of us than you might think, but yeah, I wouldn't expect a pro gun crowd at the parade.

You all might have changed a few people's attitudes about weapons, good on you!

You live in WeHo and you aren't gay :confused: Just kidding. Convert your neighbors, and have them join. We will be having new shooter events in the not so distant future. I am sure we changed a few minds. ;)

AndrewMendez
06-13-2011, 12:07 AM
:thumbsup: AM.

Thank you.

Good job Andrew and all who were involved! Hopefully the turnout will be better next time. But any presence is good presence! :thumbsup:

Thanks.
San Diego Pride is July 16th. Nudge Nudge.

CavTrooper
06-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Indeed a poor turnout. I had a ton of personal friends RSVP to the event, but every single one of them flaked...worst part..most of them are gay. Regardless, with so many members in SoCal, it was a little frustrating that more people didn't show up.

Out of curiosity, how many of the people who did show were straight/gay?

I ask because Im wondering if there is apperhension amoungst some gay folk to associate with a percieved "straight, white, redneck, male, etc." issue in gun rights, that prevents them from "coming out" as gun owners?

bwiese
06-13-2011, 12:56 AM
I ask because Im wondering if there is apperhension amoungst some gay folk to associate with a percieved "straight, white, redneck, male, etc." issue in gun rights, that prevents them from "coming out" as gun owners?

That, plus cuts both ways - there are prob some gunnies that are probably too shy/uncomfortable to go into that parade, too.

CavTrooper
06-13-2011, 1:13 AM
That, plus cuts both ways - there are prob some gunnies that are probably too shy/uncomfortable to go into that parade, too.

Thats a given, but since this is the gay pride parade, I would expect that more gay gunners would be making a showing. Help those that help themselves and all that.

five.five-six
06-13-2011, 1:19 AM
looks like good times, wish I could have made it this year

bwiese
06-13-2011, 1:23 AM
Thats a given, but since this is the gay pride parade, I would expect that more gay gunners would be making a showing. Help those that help themselves and all that.

I agree. One PinkPistoleer told me they're very 'closeted' - some see the guns as useful but they are not part of 'gun culture'. Contrast that with someone like Tom Boyer who likes Garands and 1911s and revolvers :)

I recall Tom telling me (approximately - lost some details) why some LGBT types armed themselves years ago, aside from 'bashing' issues - it appears the animal rights/PETA people were aggrieved that drug companies were using monkeys for testing AIDS meds, vaccines, etc. - and these animal freaks would rather have the monkeys live as opposed to people living, and they were apparently trying to make individual gays' lives shortened even more.

mag360
06-13-2011, 1:45 AM
as a side note, unfortunately me and the GF had to head home early from our SoCal trip so we couldn't be there. But I did have a long conversation with a transgender ACLU-rep in Ocean Beach San Diego who was trying to convince us to give money to the ACLU. Told them I couldn't, "in good conscience, give money to a group that seeks to undermine my right to own guns". Surprisingly I got no flustered response back, told them about the pink pistols, and she seemed interested in them. She said a person let their dog attack (pretty gnarly scars on her arm) her one day because she was transgender. I told her she should get a gun :)

AndrewMendez
06-13-2011, 2:41 AM
Out of curiosity, how many of the people who did show were straight/gay?

We have a don't ask don't tell policy, but I would assume half and half.

CavTrooper
06-13-2011, 2:46 AM
We have a don't ask don't tell policy, but I would assume half and half.

Is that what PRIDE is all about, keeping it a secret? ;)

AndrewMendez
06-13-2011, 3:02 AM
Is that what PRIDE is all about, keeping it a secret? ;)

Nah, it's just my excuse to attract more closeted gays. Its really closer to 90%.:eek:

GettoPhilosopher
06-13-2011, 7:53 AM
Nah, it's just my excuse to attract more closeted gays. Its really closer to 90%.:eek:

Andrew, seriously, I'm a married man! You've got to tone down the shameless flirting. ;)

It's worth noting that the random girls in the crowd that joined our march in Long Beach were in WeHo too, saw us, ran out to give us hugs, and then marched the rest of the way with us.

jdberger
06-13-2011, 9:20 AM
Good job folks!

AndrewMendez
06-13-2011, 9:22 AM
Andrew, seriously, I'm a married man! You've got to tone down the shameless flirting. ;)

It's worth noting that the random girls in the crowd that joined our march in Long Beach were in WeHo too, saw us, ran out to give us hugs, and then marched the rest of the way with us.

I thought I had posted that, but after rereading, I just noticed I didn't. ;) That was by far the coolest part. The milar balloons vs the power lines was a close second though.

nicki
06-13-2011, 10:47 AM
West Hollywood and San Francisco are probably the top anti gun areas of the state and that is where we are doing our marching, deep in enemy territory.

Something that I would like to point out is the stereotype of gun owners promoted by the anti rights folks is that gun owners are a bunch of right wing, pro life rednecks who want to roll back civil rights of women and minorities.

While many gun owners are "rednecks and pro life", it would be a small minority that would actually want to undo equal rights for women and minorities.

What the Pink Pistols does is destroy that stereotype and it gives us a big crack in the door to have dialogue across the political spectrum.

Generally speaking gun rights is typically equated as a "right wing" issue where as gay rights is typically equated as a "left wing" issue.

As we show that "Gun Rights" really crosses the political divide, by default, we will pick up people in the "Political Middle".

Our gun rights position is sound, but when people are shouting at each other, no one can listen. When we spark people's curiosity, we can engage in dialogue and then we can cause shifts.

The population of California used to be pro gun. Today I think we have lost our pro gun majority in California because of demographic changes.

If we reach out, we will change things.

There are two courts we have to win in, the courts of law and the courts of public opinion.

Bold moves out of our "comfort zones" are what will be needed to change public opinion here in California.

Nicki

Bigtime1
06-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Something that "gay rights" and "gun rights" folks have in common is the quest for the freedom to live their lives as free persons without society, or the government, condemning or otherwise interfering with their life and lifestyle.

I didn't chose to be a gun lover, I was just born this way. I always knew I was a little different than the other kids when I was growing up. When the other kids were out playing ball I was in my room with back issues of Guns & Ammo. When the other boys were wearing baseball uniforms, I preferred to don my camo and tactical gear. One of the hardest days of my life was when I told my parents I was a gun-lover. I was scared they would reject me, but when I Dad said that he too was a Gun-Lover, and with my Mother's support, I knew then I could face the rest of the world with what had been my secret.

WTSGDYBBR
06-13-2011, 12:32 PM
I'm kinda lost on Pink Pistols slogan "Pick on someone your own caliber" http://www.pinkpistols.org/photos/PPMCRGO4.htm Here is a sec link http://www.pinkpistols.org/ "Armed Gays Don't Get Bashed" A simple foul name calling could be bashing someone who is Gay. I rater see people support firearm laws its great. I think some of the slogans used by pink pistols could be miss leading . Also whats up with the big dildo in the pics as well ? Thanks for supporting your right to own and bare arms. Don't take my post as a bash.

sfpcservice
06-13-2011, 2:35 PM
I'm kinda lost on Pink Pistols slogan "Pick on someone your own caliber" http://www.pinkpistols.org/photos/PPMCRGO4.htm Here is a sec link http://www.pinkpistols.org/ "Armed Gays Don't Get Bashed" A simple foul name calling could be bashing someone who is Gay. I rater see people support firearm laws its great. I think some of the slogans used by pink pistols could be miss leading . Also whats up with the big dildo in the pics as well ? Thanks for supporting your right to own and bare arms. Don't take my post as a bash.

That about says it, they did have bare arms (dildo) instead of bearing arms. I never liked the idea of "pride" parades or "history" months that single groups and classes out. I think they only further the perception of differences between us all. I feel amazingly left out in the current political environment. However, I like what you guys are doing with this, minus the dildo. :D

AndrewMendez
06-13-2011, 2:51 PM
I really don't want to get into the dildo thing for two reasons. It's been covered in at least three other threads, and it was by far, the easiest way to get an easy in with crowd. It's a conversation piece. We were not at a back to school night event with third graders, we were at a gay pride event, with butt cheeks as far as the eyes can see.

tboyer
06-13-2011, 3:01 PM
We also had the honor of marching behind a van from a
gay male adult video outfit, with some of their actors, if that's
the right term.

WTSGDYBBR
06-13-2011, 3:13 PM
Thanks Andrew for clearing up the 37mm/40mm conversation piece. That conversation piece is so large I'm sure my wife would run from that. Glad you guys & girls had fun at the Gay Pride Event.

I really don't want to get into the dildo thing for two reasons. It's been covered in at least three other threads, and it was by far, the easiest way to get an easy in with crowd. It's a conversation piece. We were not at a back to school night event with third graders, we were at a gay pride event, with butt cheeks as far as the eyes can see.

sfpcservice
06-13-2011, 3:43 PM

Just exercising my 1st amendment right to state my opinion and move on. Not trying to start a debate. It's just one very tiny (yet so large) detail we disagree upon. ;) Nice Job otherwise on getting the message out there!

AndrewMendez
06-13-2011, 4:36 PM
Just exercising my 1st amendment right to state my opinion and move on. Not trying to start a debate. It's just one very tiny (yet so large) detail we disagree upon. ;) Nice Job otherwise on getting the message out there!

No you damn troll! ;)! Didn't mean to come off snippy. You had a valid question.

Dreaded Claymore
06-13-2011, 4:56 PM
For the next one we need to find a way to launch dildos from one of those Spikes 37mm flare launchers.

GettoPhilosopher
06-13-2011, 5:26 PM
For the next one we need to find a way to launch dildos from one of those Spikes 37mm flare launchers.

My old airsoft group has done it with airsoft 40mm M203s loaded with CO2 powered paintball grenades. ^_^

TURBOELKY
06-13-2011, 5:59 PM

Were any of these "cheeks" of straight women? If so, count me in next parade.
Gay or not Andrew, I'm proud of you.;)

AndrewMendez
06-13-2011, 6:02 PM
Were any of these "cheeks" of straight women? If so, count me in next parade.
Gay or not Andrew, I'm proud of you.;)

Post op or pre op? ;) If you want too see booty, SF is the place to see it.

blazeaglory
06-13-2011, 7:40 PM

lol..

aim for the anti gunners pie holes!

blazeaglory
06-13-2011, 7:41 PM
Post op or pre op? ;) If you want too see booty, SF is the place to see it.

if i havent figured it out by the time i wake up and sober up, i aint gonna ask..lol;)

AndrewMendez
06-13-2011, 10:38 PM
if i havent figured it out by the time i wake up and sober up, i aint gonna ask..lol;)

haha. ;) Maybe you don't want to figure it out.

BKinzey
06-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Were any of these "cheeks" of straight women? ...

I don't recall. All the women I looked at had curves.:D

CEDaytonaRydr
06-13-2011, 11:30 PM
Good going, guys!!! I saw you all at the end of the parade but I had forgotten that it was this weekend. Lucky enough, I was going to see a show at the Troubadour, so I caught the tail end of your march.

I also saw the most flamboyant rifle drill team behind you guys, which was also cool. :D

I took a couple pics. I'll post them up when I get a chance. Way to go, people!!! ;)

AndrewMendez
06-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Good going, guys!!! I saw you all at the end of the parade but I had forgotten that it was this weekend. Lucky enough, I was going to see a show at the Troubadour, so I caught the tail end of your march.

I also saw the most flamboyant rifle drill team behind you guys, which was also cool. :D

I took a couple pics. I'll post them up when I get a chance. Way to go, people!!! ;)

You know, I am not going to lie. The guys behind me with the batons were pretty effin awesome. You should have stopped and said Hi.

CEDaytonaRydr
06-13-2011, 11:53 PM
You should have stopped and said Hi.

I did....

I spoke with a few of you at Hamburger Haven. Sorry, I don't remember who was who, but the guy with the pink shotgun and a couple others with the Rainbow "don't tread on me" flags. I snapped a couple pics...

...right before the balloons got tangled up in the power lines and arced. (which was some scary s*!t :eek: )

AndrewMendez
06-13-2011, 11:59 PM
I did....

I spoke with a few of you at Hamburger Haven. Sorry, I don't remember who was who, but the guy with the pink shotgun and a couple others with the Rainbow "don't tread on me" flags. I snapped a couple pics...

...right before the balloons got tangled up in the power lines and arced. (which was some scary s*!t :eek: )

Really?!!?? You had to have seen me then! I was wearing a black shirt, that said super secret zombie shoot, and it was black.

hornswaggled
06-14-2011, 12:19 AM
Great job guys! I have friends who are gay and some of the most pro-military/pro-gun people I know. They make guys like Assembly Member Portantino look really, really, really, really... I dunno, gay in comparison.

CEDaytonaRydr
06-14-2011, 12:51 AM
Really?!!?? You had to have seen me then! I was wearing a black shirt, that said super secret zombie shoot, and it was black.

I only snapped a couple pics:

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4818/img0313kmj.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/17/img0313kmj.jpg/)

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7383/img0314qj.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/img0314qj.jpg/)

I would have taken more but I honestly ran for cover when I saw those power lines arc. I have bad electrical karma... :o

GettoPhilosopher
06-14-2011, 7:24 AM
Christ, Andrew, you were right...I get balder everytime I go to one of these! :P

Note that I have proper trigger discipline, even when holding a pink dildo benelli. Also note that I'm apparently using the oft-maligned yet oft-praised Magpul Dynamics thumb over bore technique. ^_^

SanPedroShooter
06-14-2011, 7:27 AM
I like to practice "thumb in bore" for extra saftey. It worked for bugs bunny...

GettoPhilosopher
06-14-2011, 10:32 AM
I like to practice "thumb in bore" for extra saftey. It worked for bugs bunny...

Lawrence v. Texas may say you have a right to do what you will in your own bedroom, but that doesn't mean I want to hear about it. ;)

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

wash
06-14-2011, 11:50 AM
I see the flags came out well.

I'm glad you all had a good time.

AndrewMendez
06-14-2011, 2:11 PM
Christ, Andrew, you were right...I get balder everytime I go to one of these! :P

Note that I have proper trigger discipline, even when holding a pink dildo benelli. Also note that I'm apparently using the oft-maligned yet oft-praised Magpul Dynamics thumb over bore technique. ^_^

I told you baldy!!!

I only snapped a couple pics:

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4818/img0313kmj.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/17/img0313kmj.jpg/)

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7383/img0314qj.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/img0314qj.jpg/)

I would have taken more but I honestly ran for cover when I saw those power lines arc. I have bad electrical karma... :o

Ah, I don't know how I missed you, I was standing right there, talking to the Fire Fighters.

AndrewMendez
06-14-2011, 2:13 PM
I see the flags came out well.

I'm glad you all had a good time.

Yup, they came out great, I am very pleased, and they were completely thanks to the people who donated. They will travel around the state, maybe even the Country, if Gene gets his way.