PDA

View Full Version : Will .243 drop a pig?

anotherone
12-18-2006, 5:22 PM
Sorry to post so many times but I'm really narrowing things down. I know that .243 will drop a blacktail or even whitetail deer, but is it strong enough to drop a pig?

edbon9
12-18-2006, 5:31 PM
depends on where you hit the pig, really. I take my 300winmag when it comes to piggies, you don't want to wound one and have it chase you all over. I leave the 243 for the deer :)

anotherone
12-18-2006, 5:34 PM
depends on where you hit the pig, really. I take my 300winmag when it comes to piggies, you don't want to wound one and have it chase you all over. I leave the 243 for the deer :)

That's what I figured. I was thinking that with .243 if I don't hit the head or dead on in the vitals I better start climbing the nearest tree.

blkA4alb
12-18-2006, 5:37 PM
Well my buddy hunts boar with his SKS and his .44 magnum revolver for back up ;) .

metalhead357
12-18-2006, 5:43 PM
IF you do go with a .243 find/get the biggest slug you can for it. It WILL take down small & medium sized ones; but I'd balk at the big ones with a .243 and start climbing that tree!!!!!!!

Fjold
12-18-2006, 7:03 PM
I've seen it done a number of times. A 90 -105 grain bullet behind the shoulder or in the earhole will work but you'd better be a good shot under pressure to do it.

I'm supposed to go to Vandenburg AFB this winter for pigs and I'm going to bring my 375 H&H magnum for grins. Usually I would recommend a 7-08, 308, 270, 30.06, etc., just about any standard deer caliber will work. A lot of people have taken pigs with everything from 223 up through 458 win mags it all depends on how good a shot the hunter is and if he is patient enough to wait for a perfect shot.

Vepr62
12-18-2006, 7:41 PM
.243 will do its part as long as you do yours, but I hunt pigs with 7mm, or .280, and .44 magnum for back-up is a must. And for "Fair Chase", bring a pair of clean pants and underwear.
Vasiliy

tankerman
12-18-2006, 7:45 PM
No head shots with a 243, unless it's in the ear. Not a good hog round. 6.5's have a better sectional density if your just trying to find something with minimal recoil. Still need very good shot placement.
I prefer bigbore for hogs, big, slow, hardcast.

whomper
12-18-2006, 8:09 PM
That's what I figured. I was thinking that with .243 if I don't hit the head or dead on in the vitals I better start climbing the nearest tree.

Yeah, that happened to my friend's older brother. 2 solid hits with a semi-auto 243 and the boar charged him. He proceeded to scramble up the nearest tree and fired 12 times with his 357 backup (he'd dropped the rifle running to the tree). Anyway it was a 450 lb boar. He started cutting him up and found that he had been shot with a 44 mag, and a 22 of some sort, prior to his own shots. I got a 30-06 bolt gun. I figure thats a great all aroung gun for game here. 150 gr bullets for light game on up to 200+ gr. for bigger stuff.

David002
12-18-2006, 11:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVX0y2Pcj_s&mode=related&search=

metalhead357
12-19-2006, 12:13 AM
He proceeded to scramble up the nearest tree and fired 12 times with his 357 backup (he'd dropped the rifle running to the tree). .

What the heck was he shooting 12 rounds of .357 through??????

whomper
12-19-2006, 1:02 AM
Sorry. I forgot to mention he reloaded a 357 revolver once. Sorry. He's a big Texas boy, so I would have loved to see him hanging in a tree one handed shooting and reloading at a hog that chased him 40 yards or so.

BigMac
12-19-2006, 6:02 AM
I use a .270.

They don't run if you hit them in the side of the head (right in the ear).

NRAhighpowershooter
12-19-2006, 7:44 AM
What the heck was he shooting 12 rounds of .357 through??????
belt fed 357????? :D

stator
12-19-2006, 7:44 AM
Sorry to post so many times but I'm really narrowing things down. I know that .243 will drop a blacktail or even whitetail deer, but is it strong enough to drop a pig?

My buddies in college would usual have two rifles... one in .243 winchester and the other the biggest cartridge they can find for bragging rights. They did fine with the .243 for deer, pigs, and stuff I will not mention here. These guys were all from farming communities up in the north central valley. Places like Marysville, Yuba City, Hamilton, and Chico. They grew up shooting.

So, I would say the .243 winchester will work fine for pigs. I do not see much friends shooting .243 winchester any more. It's popularity seemed to taper off somewhat.

If you are rebarrelling, I would recommend that you consider 7mm-08. I shoot that in my M1 Garand. Great round, IMO. Maintains much of the good characteristics of the .243 but with a heavier bullet.

There is alot of folklore of pigs being built like Tiger tanks but it is absolutely not true. Pigs are just like any other game.... how good of a shot you are determines the rest afterwords.

VeryCoolCat
12-19-2006, 9:52 AM
I have heard that despite the pigs thickness... any shot to the head of the pig will usually put it down pretty fast. And I'm talking about standard pistol calibers here not even magnum.

Aim for the head or the spine.

RJ Dunn
12-19-2006, 10:15 AM
I've seen a wildpig droped with a .22 rimfire. But, I would'nt recommend doing it.

tankerman
12-19-2006, 12:25 PM
My buddies in college would usual have two rifles... one in .243 winchester and the other the biggest cartridge they can find for bragging rights. They did fine with the .243 for deer, pigs, and stuff I will not mention here. These guys were all from farming communities up in the north central valley. Places like Marysville, Yuba City, Hamilton, and Chico. They grew up shooting.

So, I would say the .243 winchester will work fine for pigs. I do not see much friends shooting .243 winchester any more. It's popularity seemed to taper off somewhat.

If you are rebarrelling, I would recommend that you consider 7mm-08. I shoot that in my M1 Garand. Great round, IMO. Maintains much of the good characteristics of the .243 but with a heavier bullet.

There is alot of folklore of pigs being built like Tiger tanks but it is absolutely not true. Pigs are just like any other game.... how good of a shot you are determines the rest afterwords.
Growing up shooting has nothing to do with it, they grew up on farms and no when and where the hogs would be, making a shot with a 243 on a hog that is standing still and eating is much different than hunting brush or woods, where you may not get achance at a perfect ear shot using a perfect rest. I to know a farmer that uses 243, and doesn't take a shot unless he has a perfect shot. He also has all the time in the world, it's his farm. Unfortunately most hunters don't have that opportunity and a larger caliber will help insure that a less than perfect opportunity will pay off.

anotherone
12-19-2006, 1:16 PM
Growing up shooting has nothing to do with it, they grew up on farms and no when and where the hogs would be, making a shot with a 243 on a hog that is standing still and eating is much different than hunting brush or woods, where you may not get achance at a perfect ear shot using a perfect rest. I to know a farmer that uses 243, and doesn't take a shot unless he has a perfect shot. He also has all the time in the world, it's his farm. Unfortunately most hunters don't have that opportunity and a larger caliber will help insure that a less than perfect opportunity will pay off.

I used to work on a farm during the summer where I grew up in the countryside in Michigan. You could follow around the same animals for days and totally learn their habits and where they would be at each part of the day. You really got to know your quarry. It was almost sad when you pulled the trigger and took them.

cornholio1
12-19-2006, 7:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVX0y2Pcj_s&mode=related&search=

I am not convinced. Hes gotta do a grizzly..:D

Californio
12-20-2006, 8:46 AM
I have taken a 300lb boar with a .44mag, one to the shoulder to slow him down, on the run at 50 yards, and one to the head to do the deed. I would prefer .308 win as a minimum bolt rifle round. You don't want to wound one and beat the dense sage to get to him, they will charge you when wounded and could hurt you badly. Big ones are faster than you think and the small ones are very fast. I would prefer a light short barreled rifle Remington 600 (mowhawk) or the new short one by Ruger with fast glass or even good iron sights, also consider a lever action 30-30 and above as well. When they flush you only get a quick shot in the open before they are in the next clump of dense sage. A short quick rifle is needed for this type of hunting.