View Full Version : Out of state traffic tickets?

Danz la Nuit
06-12-2011, 8:22 PM
I was wondering how this works...

If someone is on the opposite side of the county and receives a traffic ticket while on a short vacation or w/e, they obviously can't show up for court in that state, I seem to recall reading that you can have court appearances transferred to wherever you live as long as it's in the state...

I assume it can be taken care of by mail if it's not a serious ticket but if that is true, how does it work if you want to plead not guilty? Can you do that by mail? What happens if you just leave and never come back? Will a minor traffic infraction that turns into a failure to pay/failure to appear actually it into your state's computer systems these days? Does it vary from state to state?

06-12-2011, 9:35 PM
All I can tell you is that it is different from state to state. Some states will have you follow them to the station and not let you leave until they get the bail for the citation. Usually the citing officer will explain how their particular methods work.

And some states report to CA and some dont. My dad (at the time worked for Oakland) many years ago got stopped in Arkansas and was not one to badge someone to get out of a ticket.

The Trooper (or deputy, I cant remember now) wrote the ticket and then they started BSin and the the guy found out my dad was LE. He told him if he had known he would not have written the ticket, but that his agency's policy dictates that once it is written, he cant take it back.

Then he told my dad to hold on a minute and went back to his car and got on his radio. He came back a short time later and asked my dad if he planned on coming back to Arkansas in the next few years and my dad said no. The officer told him that he called his supervisor and made sure that they did not report to CA and that if he just ignored it it would eventually just go away.

This was many years ago so i dont recommend this, but at least back then it worked and was recommended by the citing officer. It thought it was funny.

06-12-2011, 10:54 PM
If you want to plead guilty, you will generally have to post bail and you will have to appear in that court unless you can do trial by declaration. Otherwise just pay the fine. They will not transfer the case to a court near you because they don't have legal jurisdiction over the matter.

Most states now share information and if you don't handle your legal responsibility, a warrant may be issued for your arrest. While I doubt any states would extradite on a traffic matter, the fines continue to grow and most states will suspend your drivers license until you clear the ticket in the other state. That can cause you all kinds of headaches.

06-12-2011, 11:34 PM
I don't recommend ignoring any tickets anywhere even if extradition is 99.9593% unlikely for traffic, it will cause you headaches in NCIC and you will be delayed in every traffic stop until non extradition is confirmed.