PDA

View Full Version : Quashed warrant & CCW application?

Jarrod
06-12-2011, 3:42 PM
About 6 months ago I got a moving violations tickes for expired tags on my car.

I made arrangements w the court, but missed a payment date. A warrant was automatically issued for me. (Yeah, I realize I was an idiot.)

As soon as I realized, I made further arrangements w the court and the warrant was "quashed locally".

All things being equal, will this endanger my application for a ccw assuming I otherwise have good cause?

taperxz
06-12-2011, 3:45 PM
To bad. It really depends on the policies of the Sheriff.

Connor P Price
06-12-2011, 3:47 PM
Depends what the sheriff feels like that day.

axel4488
06-12-2011, 3:49 PM
how much are you personally paying said sherrif?

Anchors
06-12-2011, 3:58 PM
Which county is the most important question.

Jarrod
06-12-2011, 4:03 PM
It is Riverside county. Sheriff Stan Sniff, I believe.

Anchors
06-12-2011, 7:33 PM
It is possible that it could be an issue.
What is your good cause statement like? (I'm assuming it isn't just "self-defense" since it is Riverside County).

Jarrod
06-12-2011, 8:08 PM
I am a firearms instructor and often have to travel through rough neighborhoods w weapons and ammunition. In addition, due to the nature of my work, I have access to significant amounts of chemicals that can be used for making methamphetamines. My access to said chemicals is public knowledge.

Jarrod
06-12-2011, 8:11 PM
To be honest, we don't have very significant amounts of the chemicals, but a meth head won't know that. They'll just think I do, which is all that's needed for them to consider attacking me.

1911su16b870
06-12-2011, 9:24 PM

I made arrangements w the court, but missed a payment date. A warrant was automatically issued for me. (Yeah, I realize I was an idiot.)

As soon as I realized, I made further arrangements w the court and the warrant was "quashed locally".

All things being equal, will this endanger my application for a ccw assuming I otherwise have good cause?

Riverside county...IMO wait until all your house is in order with everything cleared on your account.

I wished everyone was as responsible as you in your bolded statement above. You realize you made a mistake and took personal responsibility to clear it! kudos to you Sir!

Paul S
06-12-2011, 10:18 PM

When you have completed paying off the fine have a law enforcement contact check your county's warrant system to make sure the warrant has been cleared. I cannot tell you how many times folks get popped on traffic warrants because it was never cleared from the system...despite what the court clerks claimed. When you have confirmed it has been cleared and is no longer in the system THEN apply for your ccw. Good luck...and good on you for being responsible.

ErikTheRed
06-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Whatever the outcome of your situation, MAKE SURE YOU PUT IT ON YOUR APPLICATION, even if nothing comes of it. Some here might advise otherwise, but take it from me and my personal experience....... put it on there. The issued warrant will be on your record, even if it resulted in nothing and was 'quashed'. I found out that NOTHING is quashed on the DOJ record, from this moment back to the day of your birth.

Jarrod
06-13-2011, 12:09 AM
1911, Paul, and Erik:

Oh, I plan on full disclosure. The folks at the sheriff's are (potentially) entrusting me w a deadly weapon in public.

I have NO intention of violating that trust by being dishonest with them.

Anchors
06-13-2011, 2:06 AM
1911, Paul, and Erik:

Oh, I plan on full disclosure. The folks at the sheriff's are (potentially) entrusting me w a deadly weapon in public.

I have NO intention of violating that trust by being dishonest with them.

I'm glad you're an honest guy, but aside from that I personally believe having their trust should be irrelevant to the process.

In most states it doesn't matter what the local LEO think of you as long as you aren't a prohibited person and that is how it should be. Actually, you shouldn't even need a permit.

Jarrod
06-13-2011, 2:24 AM
Ryan,

Agreed. I philosophically agree with you.

However, the current process involves my being interviewed by a deputy. And, while I'm not perfect, I'm not going to look the deputy in the eye and be dishonest with him.

(Not claiming I'm holier than anyone else.)

cindynles
06-13-2011, 7:54 AM
Good luck. Don't pay for the training up front (they will not refund). But don't be surprised if you get one of these in the mail 3 months later.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss20/cindynles/scan0002.jpg

Anchors
06-13-2011, 7:39 PM
Ryan,

Agreed. I philosophically agree with you.

However, the current process involves my being interviewed by a deputy. And, while I'm not perfect, I'm not going to look the deputy in the eye and be dishonest with him.

(Not claiming I'm holier than anyone else.)

And I agree that you shouldn't be dishonest.
Just expressing my opinion of them even forcing someone in a position to need to be dishonest to defend themselves.