PDA

View Full Version : A study of US state freedoms/restrictions

06-12-2011, 12:00 PM
http://mercatus.org/freedom-50-states-2011

Click on the link and see why California ranks the third from the bottom in personal freedoms; 48 out of 50.

Luieburger
06-12-2011, 12:30 PM
I love the reports that Mercatus comes out with. The most recent one I've seen is from 2007. This one is fresh. Thanks for the link!

Uriah02
06-12-2011, 12:36 PM
:dupe: x2
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=158015&highlight=mercatus
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=443223&highlight=mercatus

uyoga
06-12-2011, 1:05 PM
Illinois, Massachussets and Hawaii have more personal freedom than California??!!

W O W !

ALSystems
06-14-2011, 6:35 AM
Great Article. :) I noticed California has dropped significatly since the previous 2009 version of this same "Freedom Study" I've read.

:dupe: x2
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=158015&highlight=mercatus
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=443223&highlight=mercatus

Both these dupes are in the Off-Topic section which I generally avoid.

Article has now moved to the 2nd Amendment Section which I believe is the proper Section for this topic

ccmc
06-14-2011, 7:03 PM
Illinois, Massachussets and Hawaii have more personal freedom than California??!!

W O W !

Actually if you read the study carefully CA ranks higher (at 41) than those states in personal freedom, but lower (at 48) in overall freedom. The money quotes are that CA is overly involved in its residents' private lives (true IMHO), and that CA has the worst gun laws in the country (debatable there - they are certainly among the worst, but NJ, NY and possibly MD are worse in many ways). The 4.4 pct outmigration should be of concern to CA firearms enthusiasts as I suspect most of those leaving are 2A friendly types.

Arreaux
06-17-2011, 7:15 AM
The 4.4 pct outmigration should be of concern to CA firearms enthusiasts as I suspect most of those leaving are 2A friendly types.

Good point!

vantec08
06-17-2011, 7:52 AM
Notice how in recent years the attacks on the 2nd has imperiled the 4th?

scarville
06-17-2011, 9:06 AM
The 4.4 pct outmigration should be of concern to CA firearms enthusiasts as I suspect most of those leaving are 2A friendly types.
For a number of reason I am coming to think that "California" is a one word IQ test and the correct answer is "Leave."

Pred@tor
06-17-2011, 4:42 PM
I am in the 5th freest state.

FullMetalJacket
06-17-2011, 6:45 PM
I don't think the bulk of emigration from California consists of 2nd Amendment supporters.

It's more likely they're economic refugees. It's very expensive to live in this state and, economic times being especially bad here, lots of people are seeking greener pastures elsewhere.

No jobs, high cost of living, lots of rules and regulations...California's days of attracting people west are over.

ilkhan
06-17-2011, 7:34 PM
I don't think the bulk of emigration from California consists of 2nd Amendment supporters.
I'm not sure I agree with you on that.
TX here I come (Keeps getting moved back, but currently planned to be there 10/1)

Tank 57
06-17-2011, 9:19 PM
Made the right decision to move to California.

From New Jersey.

ccmc
06-18-2011, 3:56 AM

It's more likely they're economic refugees. It's very expensive to live in this state and, economic times being especially bad here, lots of people are seeking greener pastures elsewhere.

No jobs, high cost of living, lots of rules and regulations...California's days of attracting people west are over.

Of course they're mainly economic refugees. People generally do things in their own economic sef interest. And since this is a gun forum most of us here probably have a skewed sense of how important the 2A is compared to the average person. But it's fairly safe to say that the policies that have made CA an unattractive place for the average person or business to set up shop were put in place by political leaders who by and large are the same ones that have made CA a 2A unfriendly place. I'm not saying the vast majority of the people that do leave CA are necessarily firearms enthusiasts like the people on this and other gun forums, or even that the 2A is particularly important to them, but they are likely people who would vote for political leaders that are more 2A friendly than the current political leadership in CA. IMHO of course.

ccmc
06-18-2011, 3:59 AM
Made the right decision to move to California.

From New Jersey.

No doubt the weather's more pleasant in Livermore, but your chances of getting a carry permit aren't much better there AFAIK. Now if you'd moved to one of the virtual shall issue counties .....

smokeysbandit
06-18-2011, 9:08 PM
Interestingly enough, looking at the representative break down for the top and bottom five states reveals an interesting anomaly. I'm usually not the one to play party games, as I don't fall in line with either major political party, but the facts remain. Based on this data, the top 5 free states hold Republican majorities, while the 5 most oppressive hold Democratic majorities. Very interesting indeed.

ccmc
06-19-2011, 7:37 AM
Interestingly enough, looking at the representative break down for the top and bottom five states reveals an interesting anomaly. I'm usually not the one to play party games, as I don't fall in line with either major political party, but the facts remain. Based on this data, the top 5 free states hold Republican majorities, while the 5 most oppressive hold Democratic majorities. Very interesting indeed.

Both parties are oppressive to freedom in different ways, but democrats seem more inclined to pass laws restricting freedom.

Window_Seat
06-19-2011, 9:13 AM
Very good study, I always like it when some organization comes out with this kind of data, because I'll throw it in the face of the Legislature and say "SEE???????????????? LOOK HERE... WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR LIBERTIES??????????????????????????????".

I was surprised to see that Oregon is #3 in freedom, which is one reason why I've looked into moving there when it's time for me to get out of CA. If I were to rank Oregon on the weather, I'd probably give it a #4 as for being the worst (since it rains only around 364.9 days out of the year (and 365.9 during the leap year)...

It's nice when I visit my friends and relatives, and to be able to either CCW, or although I haven't (yet), have the option to LOC.

They don't have an AWB either, so I could remove my BB once I cross state lines. They are also a cash/carry state, so you walk in with the cash, and walk out with the handgun/rifle, etc (after about $10.00/minutes of background check).

Oregon is #1 for personal! :cool:

"Texas is the place I'd dearly love to be", but "Oregon is a freedom I'd really love to experience".

Erik; tempted.

Catechol
06-19-2011, 10:10 AM

Last year, I moved from Marin county to Arizona for the sole purpose of feeling like a free American. I left a very lucrative job in the bay area because, given the choice, I'd rather be free than rich.

Yankee Clipper
06-19-2011, 7:50 PM
I’d be willing to bet that if you correlated the list of states with list of the least restricted firearms laws and the ones that Ca residents are moving to, there would be a lot of matches.
For instance look for articles in the OC local paper where they’ve generated statistics of businesses moving from CA and the states they’re moving to. (I’m sorry I can’t provide a link to this info because so many papers have made it a legal issue but I’m sure you can drill down & find it.)
My point being, that if a state legislature, like we have in CA, generates a lot of restrictive firearms laws they will & have generated a lot of restrictive business, environmental, personal status & regulations. So it’s not just you the gun owner but the business that employees you or the opportunity to run your own business profitably that will have to succumb to these onerous regulations or move.