PDA

View Full Version : FA blank firing replicas - legal status?

EBR Works
06-11-2011, 9:49 PM
I came across these full auto blank firing replicas in a SHOT brochure. Here's an example of what this company carries:

http://www.maxarmory.com/index.php?p=product&id=3432&parent=9

What is the legal status of these in California? Obviously the mags would only be legal for someone with a DOJ High Cap mag permit. Since they are non-guns the feds say they are legal. Opinions?

Uszp07uTcKc&

EBR Works
06-12-2011, 5:58 AM
Anybody?

Attiic
06-12-2011, 10:04 AM
What's a DOJ hi cap permit? (Remember, possession is not a crime)
As for the gun, I guess it might depend on how easily it is converted back to a functioning gun.

aklover_91
06-12-2011, 10:57 AM
I think the mags would be fine, tbh. They're designed to work with a non firing replica, not a firearm, so I don't think they could pop you for it. Even if it turned out live ammunition fit, and they could fit in a gun, wouldn't that be misapplying them? Like loading 13 9mm into .40 mag or loading up a .458 AR mag with 30 2.23, and isn't the consensus on that that it isn't illegal?

EBR Works
06-12-2011, 4:35 PM
What's a DOJ hi cap permit? (Remember, possession is not a crime)
As for the gun, I guess it might depend on how easily it is converted back to a functioning gun.

The hi cap permit is for dealers only, which I have. Sorry I should have clarified that to avoid confusion.

My understanding is this replica cannot be converted to function as a firearm.

12voltguy
06-12-2011, 4:43 PM
The hi cap permit is for dealers only, which I have. Sorry I should have clarified that to avoid confusion.

My understanding is this replica cannot be converted to function as a firearm.

I would think that too, or i would be buying upo a ton of $225 9mm bretta 92s !

EBR Works
06-12-2011, 5:22 PM
So, legal in California or not? I want to order one before it will have to be fluorescent orange. http://www.mazeguy.net/sad/vomit.gif

Jeepers
06-12-2011, 5:49 PM
I dont see a reason you could not buy the mags and replicas in cali as they are not a "gun", so the mags are not for a gun to start with(Caliber: 8mm Blank Firing Cartridge for the M92F Magazine ) .... but knowing cali it looks fun to play with so might be illegal , hoping to here from someone with more knowledge on the cali law

bohoki
06-12-2011, 5:51 PM
i guess the question is

does blank ammunition count as "ammunition"

dantodd
06-12-2011, 5:56 PM
I believe this weapon has been discussed at length before. If I remember the results... The blanks load "backwards" (i.e. facing the shooter) and the barrel is not actually hollowed all the way trough and it can't be easily modified to shoot forward and you can't swap out a "real" barrel. I also believe that it was considered legal in CA.

As for the magazine, my guess it that it would depend upon whether or not it would feed real bullets. If it were modified so that it only fed blanks and it wouldn't feed live rounds I think you would be good to go.

EBR Works
06-12-2011, 6:08 PM
Great! Now, I wonder if the blanks can be reloaded. $.60 each is painful, especially with a 1.5 second mag dump of 25. :D

Sonic_mike
06-12-2011, 6:55 PM
I wouldn't want to fire FA blanks in my back yard especially in California.

MrSigmaDOT40
06-12-2011, 7:52 PM
what would happen if you fired off a mag of these at a burglar that was getting ready to break into your house, or somebody trying to steal your car to scare them off??? Would you/could you be charged with something?

I always wondered about this with blanks in real and fake firearms. Would it be legal to make a criminal THINK they were being fired on by a small army? You would have your real firarm close by, but it might be a good way to get rid of a criminal and not have to have all of the legal red tape after.

timdps
06-12-2011, 9:58 PM
what would happen if you fired off a mag of these at a burglar that was getting ready to break into your house, or somebody trying to steal your car to scare them off??? Would you/could you be charged with something?

I always wondered about this with blanks in real and fake firearms. Would it be legal to make a criminal THINK they were being fired on by a small army? You would have your real firarm close by, but it might be a good way to get rid of a criminal and not have to have all of the legal red tape after.

I would imagine its still going to be discharge in city limits and probably brandishing as well. Aren't the laws for doing things in public with an imitation firearm (which this would be) fairly severe?

Re: blanks as ammunition. AB962 did not consider blanks to be ammunition for the purposes of the bill, however airlines treat blanks exactly the same as live ammo.

tim