PDA

View Full Version : Spouse of denied person Question

cannon
06-11-2011, 10:08 PM
I know a couple and they decided to get a shotgun and a pistol. He took his test and bought a pistol. He was denied due to a 28 year old outstanding warrant from another state.

Wife still wants a pistol in the house. Can she go out and buy one and everything be legal?

tiko
06-11-2011, 11:17 PM
If she buy for herself and keep the gun locked from her husband, I think it is ok

BannedinBritain
06-12-2011, 12:11 AM
A LOT of unknown information in the question. "Outstanding warrant" can mean more than a few things. Is it for a traffic ticket? Or did he murder someone? Being denied for a firearm purchase does not automatically mean one is a "prohibited person". Without knowing what the guy did, best practice is for wife to buy the firearm if she wants it, and to make sure hubby has no access to it.

Andy Taylor
06-12-2011, 1:21 PM
A LOT of unknown information in the question. "Outstanding warrant" can mean more than a few things. Is it for a traffic ticket? Or did he murder someone? Being denied for a firearm purchase does not automatically mean one is a "prohibited person". Without knowing what the guy did, best practice is for wife to buy the firearm if she wants it, and to make sure hubby has no access to it.

This.

and Hubby really should see about getting that warrent taken care of. Did he know about it?

r1 man
06-12-2011, 1:40 PM
If it were me, I would use the money to clear the warrant instead of using it to buy a gun.

Cokebottle
06-12-2011, 1:41 PM
Spouse of a prohibited person can legally possess a firearm if the prohibited person has NO access to it.
It must be locked away and only she knows the combination.
A keyed lock box could be a problem because he could access the key while she is sleeping.

Ammo is another issue... If he is a felon, he can't possess ammo.

ErikTheRed
06-13-2011, 12:16 AM
The good news is, your buddy is only temporarily prohibited until the warrant is cleared. He'll need a conviction or a dismissal, and of course, if convicted of a felony, his prohibition becomes permanent. Either way, he needs to get that cleared up asap.

taperxz
06-13-2011, 7:18 AM
I know a couple and they decided to get a shotgun and a pistol. He took his test and bought a pistol. He was denied due to a 28 year old outstanding warrant from another state.

Wife still wants a pistol in the house. Can she go out and buy one and everything be legal?

This is bad!! The way this story is told, it says straw purchase all over it!!!!

cadurand
06-13-2011, 8:11 AM
Why not clear up the warrant?

If I found out a had a 28 year old warrant I'd focus on clearing that up.

Then go back to buying a shotgun and pistol.

CHS
06-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Here's the deal, federally he's a "fugitive from justice", which is a prohibiting category. He MAY NOT SO MUCH AS TOUCH A FIREARM.

However, 28 year old warrants are generally VERY EASY to clear up. Sometimes with nothing more than a phone call to the issuing court. Once cleared up, he is no longer in a prohibited category.

Right now, with the warrant, there are way too many ways where the wife owning a gun could go sideways, legally. If he possesses the gun that she purchases, we're now talking federal felonies. Yes, that's a worse-case scenario, but it illustrates how badly this can go.

FIX THE WARRANT. PERIOD.

Then go out and buy as many guns as you want. The beautiful thing about being married is that you can buy guns for each other!

But if you don't fix that warrant then "bad things(tm)" can happen.