PDA

View Full Version : AR Flowchart Clarification - Threaded Barrel + What is allowed?

uscbigdawg
06-11-2011, 7:27 PM
Howdy,

Went through the flowchart and it seemed almost too good to be true, so I figured I'd ask the experts.

Want to build a rifle with a removable flash suppressor so that in the future I can try different ones and muzzle brakes/compensators. Is this okay, if I have a bullet button alone or do I need to also do a Monster Man/U-15 style grip?

Thanks a bunch for the info.

Rich

69Mach1
06-11-2011, 7:31 PM
Threaded barrels on rifles are not regulated by the State of CA.

hoffmang
06-11-2011, 7:47 PM
The barrel itself being threaded doesn't matter as 69Mach1 points out. You can't have a flash suppressor on a featureless rifle. However you can have a muzzle brake on a featureless rifle.

I just made sure I only own muzzle brakes and then I can change uppers to my hearts content between featureless lowers and BB'd lowers.

-Gene

JB-Norcal
06-11-2011, 7:59 PM
My question is - What is the definition of the differences between a brake and suppresor?, and is there a precidence currently in the law?

wash
06-11-2011, 8:06 PM
Some ARs have blind pinned or welded on muzzle devices but that is for federal SBR issues.

An SBR has a barrel that is less than 16" from bolt face to the muzzle.

The M4 carbine in military configuration has a barrel about 14.5" from bolt face to muzzle. A lot of people like to copy that length but since it is shorter than 16" they permanently attach the flash hider to increase the length over 16" and avoid SBR issues.

If your barrel is longer than 16" from the bolt face to the muzzle, there is no reason to have a permanently attached muzzle device or lack muzzle threads.

drifter001
06-11-2011, 8:10 PM
as far as i know, it doesnt matter if you have a threaded barrel

uscbigdawg
06-11-2011, 8:15 PM
So the way it sounds to me that the non-permanently threaded barrel is a non-issue so long as I use a brake/compensator vs. a "flash suppressor". So the YHM Phantom which is as much a brake as a suppressor not pinned is going to be okay?

Then, given all that, either throw a bullet button on there or a monster man grip and I'm done?

Thanks,

Rich

wash
06-11-2011, 8:17 PM
My question is - What is the definition of the differences between a brake and suppresor?, and is there a precidence currently in the law?
That is tricky. If your rifle is featureless, don't use a muzzle device who's manufacturer calls it a flash hider or claims that it reduces flash.

Be careful, if you find a muzzle device that reduces flash but does not claim to be a flash hider, you could still get in trouble if it is a copy of a "flash hider"

I would just be very careful on a featureless rifle. I have one but I use a post-ban upper with a plain muzzle, no threads and not even a muzzle brake. It's a 5.56 so it really doesn't need a muzzle brake but if the recoil bothered me I would get a traditional ported brake rather than something on the edge.

wash
06-11-2011, 8:22 PM
So the YHM Phantom which is as much a brake as a suppressor not pinned is going to be okay?

Then, given all that, either throw a bullet button on there or a monster man grip and I'm done?

I think YHM might claim that the Phantom is a flash hider. If so, that would make it a feature and it could not be used on a semi-automatic rife with the capability to accept detachable magazines in California.

uscbigdawg
06-11-2011, 8:25 PM
So then back to bullet button if it is a flash hider/suppressor and does that mean it has to be permanently attached?

Forgive my ignorance. I have 6 registered AW's and life is much simpler with them and while I know that I can just throw another upper on one of those rifles, I want the lower (JP CTR) and will be moving out of the state in less than a year.

Thanks a bunch for the help folks.

Rich

Quiet
06-11-2011, 8:30 PM
So then back to bullet button if it is a flash hider/suppressor and does that mean it has to be permanently attached?
If the barrel is 16 inches or greater = NO.

If the barrel is less than 16 inches = Yes. And the flash hider/suppressor needs to be long enough to make the barrel length 16 inches or greater.

Cokebottle
06-11-2011, 8:33 PM
It's a little more complicated than that.

Bullet button required if you have ANY of the following:
Flash hider
Pistol grip
Telescoping buttstock (must still be over 30" OAL collapsed)
Folding buttstock (must still be over 30" OAL folded)
Thumbhole buttstock
Forward vertical grip

Bullet button not required if NONE of the above are used, therefore, you would need a MM grip, Kydex fin, Hammerhead, or some other type of grip, and a standard A2 or other fixed-length buttstock.

ilkhan
06-11-2011, 8:33 PM
Bullet button and >16"...go wild.

uscbigdawg
06-11-2011, 8:37 PM
I think I've got it now. Thank you again gentlemen.

It's planned for a 16" barrel, flash hider and bullet button with standard pistol grip and collapsable stock. Sounds like I'm okay.

FWIW, I like the JP lower because of the huge magwell. Less than 12 months to go for simplicity.

Thanks again,

Rich

NorCalDustin
06-12-2011, 10:12 AM
If the barrel is 16 inches or greater = NO.

If the barrel is less than 16 inches = Yes. And the flash hider/suppressor needs to be long enough to make the barrel length 16 inches or greater.
Unless it's an AR Pistol right? Of course, that's a completely different ball game i suppose.