PDA

View Full Version : gonna get my 1st shotgun, need help

fabguy
06-11-2011, 5:46 PM
I am about to purchase my 1st shotgun and I am thinking about a mossberg 535 ATS combo, it comes with 28" vented barrel and a 24" rifled barrel. I know nothing about shotguns although have owned rimfire and centerfire rifles, and pistols for yrs now. I also reload my own rounds.
I want to shoot skeet, go hunting and also start going hog hunting. What say you?

Wingshooter
06-11-2011, 6:17 PM
if your budget is low (like mine) you should try a browning bps they have back bored barrel and one of the best out of the box trigger. and you can pick one up fer about 499 I have killed meany dove quail, ducks geese and clay pigeons with mine

bubbapug1
06-11-2011, 6:49 PM
I'd buy a used Browning Citori O/U. A nice vintage 70 or 80s model, great wood, terrific craftsmanship. And you own a gun which you will always be proud of owning.

verapakill
06-11-2011, 6:51 PM
Mossberg 500 is a good option its cheap and well built. I picked mine up for 250 on this site.

fabguy
06-12-2011, 7:44 AM
is the remington 1100 worth the money? or is the benelli nova better or worst than the mossberg 535 ats?

dedub
06-12-2011, 2:02 PM
I know everyone recommends their own, but take a serious look at the Stoeger 3500. They're relatively new, but for a little over $500, it:
* has a similar inertia system as high end Benellis
* shoots both 2 1/4" and 3 1/2" Magnum shells
* comes with a full set of chokes
* includes shims, a weaver-scope base, and a recoil reducer

I've had mine for six months and it has cycled perfectly every time, evenly the cheap Wally World target loads.

Thefeeder
06-12-2011, 7:36 PM
Here is some useful Info

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=425953&highlight=thefeeder

utvtactical
06-12-2011, 8:26 PM
The first question you need to ask yourself is, what kind of shooting do I want to do?

If you plan to shoot skeet, trap or sporting clays. The best choice is an over and under. These guns offer the best balance for swinging at moving targets, but only offer 2 rounds.

The next choice would be a semi-auto. This would allow 3 rounds for CA bird hunting and be quick enough for moving clays. And more rounds for tactical use.

The third choice is a pump action. This requires you to "think" before taking your second shot. If you are subject to 'brain freeze', this would not be a good choice. While a pump is thought to be more reliable than a semi-auto, it is useless if you forget or don't complete the pumping action.

A pump-action would be the least expensive choice and probably the best for tactical use, because they are often available with a shorter barrel.

If you plan to do cowboy shooting, a side by side is the proper choice, but otherwise not a good one unless purchasing a Parker, Holland & Holland or Winchester 21. These are all invest grade guns and a joy to shoot.

Money is always a consideration and you should always try to get the best value, but also consider resale, if you decide your first purchase was not the best one for you.

I recommend a gun with removable choke(s). This allows you the most range of targets available for you to hit at different distances. While Skeet and Trap are usually shot at set distances, sporting clays and hunting are usually 'played' at longer distances.

Carefully consider the brand you purchase. Many companies offer a similar product 'marketed' with their logo. The big companies; Browning, Beretta, Remington, Winchester usually offer a good value, but cost more than a Mossberg, for example.

Iconic guns like the Winchester Model 12 and the Remington 1100 are always good guns if you can find one from a good home. they will hold their value. I like Winchester 120 and 1200s from the 70s & 80s and find them to be great values. I

I could go on, but hope that gives you some good info. No mater which gun you purchase, be sure to only use FrogLube CLP. www.utvtactical.com

$nake-Eye$
06-13-2011, 9:17 PM
My 16th birthday present is still serving me well nearly 24 years later. Luv my old school Browning Citori 12ga O/U and showed off her stuff just last weekend.

I'd buy a used Browning Citori O/U. A nice vintage 70 or 80s model, great wood, terrific craftsmanship. And you own a gun which you will always be proud of owning.

redrex
06-14-2011, 6:56 PM
I'm just going to say that if you are not sure if this is for you but you want to dip your feet in the Mossberg is a great gun. Everyone and their brother has one and there is a practically unlimited supply of aftermarket add-ons.

As to all of the other suggestions... BB, Citori? 1100's? That's like me saying, hey what do you guys think of me buying a Hyundai and you guys saying that I should get a Lexus. At least the Stoeger is close, well closer, in price.

That isn't to say that I haven't heard great things about all of those. I'd love to have any of those. They just are not comparable. That being said, if any of you ARE giving away a nice O/U please PM me :)

By the way, you don't need to think to pump once you get used to it. I nailed a double at TF's skeet clinic on Saturday with a Mossy 500. Damn that felt good. At the end of the day I tried a very nice O/U and you know what, you can't pump those no matter how hard you try. Muscle memory is a funny thing.

WW2Buff
06-14-2011, 7:01 PM
870 all the way, I prefer them over the 500s. My dad got me one when I was in seventh grade and now I'm in college and still love it to death. Goes boom every time, I can get replacement parts anywhere if need be and upgrades (like the mossy) are everywhere. Good luck on your decision. -Ben

Mojaveman
07-30-2011, 6:05 PM
You can get a new Remington 870 for less than four bills. That would probably be my first choice. The Mossbergs are ok if you really want to save some money. A nice used Winchester Model 12 would also be a good buy. I saw one in a gunstore today for less than $300.00

mu9en
07-31-2011, 12:00 AM
i like remington 870 too..

Wrecking Ball
07-31-2011, 11:33 PM
That Mossberg combo you listed in your original post is great for what you described.

I took a hog last year with my Mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel at 110 yards and he dropped and didn't get up. I think shotguns are really underestimated for hog hunting, but that's just my opinion.

With the Mossberg you can also get a security barrel (18.5") for about $80 and you will have one firearm that has TONS of practical capability.

papawolfe
08-01-2011, 12:42 AM
I have an 870 got it new for just under 320 out the door. Best dam 320 ive spent love that shotgun.

mavericksun
08-01-2011, 1:19 AM
I got the combo Mossberg 500 from Big 5. It comes with a 28" vented barrel and 18 1/2" barrel. Can be used for home defense and range shooting. It's on sale now at Big5 for $290.

Go Navy
08-01-2011, 8:36 AM
I strongly recommend you go take a hard look at the Browning Silver Hunter. It's a semi-auto, comes in 12 or 20, 26 or 28 inch barrel. Go read some reviews on it. It is probably the best semi auto design right now and one of the softest shooting. It automatically adjusts to different loads even if they are mixed in the magazine. Takedown and cleaning are simple and easy. I own one in 20 and I love it. I can (and have) used it for pheasant, and will be busting clays with it. By the way, modern 20 gauge loads are much more effective than many people think.

romerosanchez
08-01-2011, 8:43 AM
I recommend the 870 too

Thefeeder
08-01-2011, 10:30 AM
I recommend that you seriously look into the "fit" of any shotgun you consider buying.

At my Skeet clinics we start with shotgun fit......or the rest is a waste of time.

MrExel17
08-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Would recommend Remington870 or Mossberg 590A1, of course this would depend on your budget too. Big % has good sales on shotguns check them out!

redrex
08-01-2011, 11:37 AM
I recommend that you seriously look into the "fit" of any shotgun you consider buying.

At my Skeet clinics we start with shotgun fit......or the rest is a waste of time.

+1 to anything this man says if it's about shotguns.

scottiehbh
08-01-2011, 8:01 PM
for the price a mossbege 500 is pretty good . i have had mine for years with no problems