PDA

View Full Version : Old West Gun Room Owner in El Cerrito

The Professional
12-17-2006, 4:45 PM
Have you guys ever been there? The owner (Bob) is very very very rude and grumpy old feller. I have done some business with him before and that is what I have observed. It is just really uncomfortable to be there. The last time I asked him if he does PPT, he just gave me some BS and told me he does not do it anymore.

I won't go back there anymore but I'd like to get your feedback.

The Professional
12-17-2006, 5:35 PM
Double post.

Fjold
12-17-2006, 5:51 PM
I'm pretty sure that we covered the requirement of FFL's to do PPT's. You can do a search but I'm pretty sure that if a dealer stocks and sells guns he has to do PPT's.

If he doesn't stock or sell handguns he doesn't have to do handgun PPT's though.

The Professional
12-17-2006, 6:46 PM
I'm pretty sure that we covered the requirement of FFL's to do PPT's. You can do a search but I'm pretty sure that if a dealer stocks and sells guns he has to do PPT's.

If he doesn't stock or sell handguns he doesn't have to do handgun PPT's though.

He does stock handguns and long guns...

What action can I do if he denied doing a PPT?

The Professional
12-17-2006, 6:49 PM
I walked in there once to do a PPT and when I told him what I would like to do he went completely Torrets -- a complete blue streak for about five minutes, while I listened patiently to his rant.

Then we did the PPT.

Next time I let the buyer show up first. :eek:

I would recommend everyone go there for their PPT's! :D

Hey Derek,

How's the G21 working out for you? I am still enjoying the Kimber...thank you!

VeryCoolCat
12-17-2006, 6:53 PM
I walked in there once to do a PPT and when I told him what I would like to do he went completely Torrets -- a complete blue streak for about five minutes, while I listened patiently to his rant.

Then we did the PPT.

Next time I let the buyer show up first. :eek:

I would recommend everyone go there for their PPT's! :D

That sounds interesting :D Maybe i'll make the drive for the hell of it :D

quagmiles
12-17-2006, 9:58 PM
When I went in there he was too busy playing cards on the computer to take my money. Go to city arms instead.

Jason762
12-17-2006, 10:02 PM
Yeh, Bob can be a grumpy guy, but once you get to know him (or know someone who knows him) he's cool.

He HAS to be suspicious, IMO. I wonder how many anti's have tried to bring him down.

Did you also know he (almost) got robbed? A few years ago some dudes with shotguns tried to rob him. Of course Bob and a few of the customers pulled out THEIR guns and shot at 'em. What idiots! Rob a gun store during operating hours?

The Professional
12-18-2006, 6:49 AM
Yeh, Bob can be a grumpy guy, but once you get to know him (or know someone who knows him) he's cool.

He HAS to be suspicious, IMO. I wonder how many anti's have tried to bring him down.

Did you also know he (almost) got robbed? A few years ago some dudes with shotguns tried to rob him. Of course Bob and a few of the customers pulled out THEIR guns and shot at 'em. What idiots! Rob a gun store during operating hours?

That guy should stop being grumpy at all if he wants to have my business. He got no right to act like that. I am the customer and I am expecting some great customer service.:cool:

WokMaster1
12-18-2006, 7:18 AM
Ernesto, try going by with a X'mas hamper...:D Maybe he'll warm up to ya!. Ya! he survived an attempted robbery before, that's why you have to be buzzed in. He is surrounded by anti guns & gangstarville in Richmond, El Cerrito & Berkeley. He is constantly on his toes.

He's really an OK guy. Kind of grumpy but he has never done me wrong.

Ratters
12-18-2006, 7:23 AM
I went in there about six years ago to buy a .22 pistol. Was ready to buy and the guy completely ignored me as he chatted with someone for 20 minutes. After that amount of time he said in a pretty rude tone, "Can I help you?" I said no thanks and left never to return. There are plenty enough shops who actually want my money. I don't expect much out of sellers, but I do expect common courtesy.

The Professional
12-18-2006, 7:25 AM
I went in there about six years ago to buy a .22 pistol. Was ready to buy and the guy completely ignored me as he chatted with someone for 20 minutes. After that amount of time he said in a pretty rude tone, "Can I help you?" I said no thanks and left never to return. There are plenty enough shops who actually want my money. I don't expect much out of sellers, but I do expect common courtesy.

Amen! As if we are begging him to take our money!:rolleyes:

MotoGuy
12-18-2006, 10:21 AM
I go to there once in a while to check out the used guns. The owner is grumpy, but it is really not much different from the other local guns stores... had trouble with customer service at Traders, Canyon, SJGE, and Target Masters.

guns_and_labs
12-18-2006, 11:34 AM
I go to there once in a while to check out the used guns. The owner is grumpy, but it is really not much different from the other local guns stores... had trouble with customer service at Traders, Canyon, SJGE, and Target Masters.

First I've heard of customer service issues at Canyon. I've always been treated really well there, no matter how stupid the question or request.

As for Bob and the Old West Gun Room, yes, he is a kind of grumpy and opinionated guy, but I find him kind of funny. He also has given some pretty good advice over the years.

I would never go in there in a hurry, but I do drop by occasionally to check out the used rack.

Then we did the PPT.

I can't imagine trying to "force" him into doing a PPT or a dealer transfer... it must have taken six hours.

The Professional
12-18-2006, 8:48 PM
First I've heard of customer service issues at Canyon. I've always been treated really well there, no matter how stupid the question or request.

As for Bob and the Old West Gun Room, yes, he is a kind of grumpy and opinionated guy, but I find him kind of funny. He also has given some pretty good advice over the years.

I would never go in there in a hurry, but I do drop by occasionally to check out the used rack.

I can't imagine trying to "force" him into doing a PPT or a dealer transfer... it must have taken six hours.

Yep...He'll be more successful if he change his bad ways.

Jason762
12-18-2006, 8:54 PM
:confused: Same here. Good guys there, Only "bad" experience I had was when I had one of the guys trying to push a Nighthawk Custom at me when I was asking to see the Wilson Combat Protector.

The Professional
12-18-2006, 9:25 PM
:confused: Same here. Good guys there, Only "bad" experience I had was when I had one of the guys trying to push a Nighthawk Custom at me when I was asking to see the Wilson Combat Protector.

Yup, never had an issue w/ Canyon Sports. I am just leery to deal w/ the big guy w/ the tattoo.

guns_and_labs
12-18-2006, 9:35 PM
Yup, never had an issue w/ Canyon Sports. I am just leery to deal w/ the big guy w/ the tattoo.
Yep, stay away from Zach. He's waaaay too good at selling stuff. I try to go in on his days off, but I'm still three months ahead on my one-per-month schedule.

Ratters
12-18-2006, 10:19 PM
I've had several bad experiences at Canyon. From being denied PPTs to stupid information being passed out to ****ty attitudes. I really like the owner Ron but some of the staff are dip****s. I've spent a few grand there but told Ron I wouldn't ever return after the second time he denied doing a ppt because it wasn't a Saturday. I ended up going to Irvington Arms even though it was an hour drive. Ended up buying a rifle from them as well, a sale that Canyon missed out on because they couldn't be bothered to do a ppt. Eh, there are plenty of shops that want my business so I give it to them.

guimus
12-19-2006, 11:21 AM
I went in to Old West a few months ago with a pocket full of cash (I had just gotten an unexpected bonus and wanted some new toys.) I waited around for a bit, trying to make it clear that I was there to buy, then some buddies of his walked in and he proceded to engage in a quasi-racist banter with them for a few minutes. To each their own, but they're not getting my money.