PDA

View Full Version : Duty rifle question ar15

fmxmyway
06-10-2011, 5:51 PM
Hey guys my apologies in advance if this specific question has been posted before but I did a search and have yet to come across it. As you all know there can only be an approved rifle manufacturer for the AR for ones duty rifle. So my question is, if you have a Colt or Smith & Wesson lower receiver (the approved firearms manufacturer) can you still put an upper of your choice (lwrc) on it and use it as a duty rifle? Also, would any modifications to the rifle be allowed such as an aftermarket trigger assembly? Thank you in advance for your input.

tyrist
06-10-2011, 5:58 PM
Nope

There are approved makes, models, and accessories which must all be installed by a armorer.

Samuelx
06-10-2011, 6:03 PM
What's your department policy say?

1911_sfca
06-10-2011, 6:15 PM
I had a hard time even understanding your question. However if I do understand it correctly, the answer is that you need to read your policy and consult your departmental rangemaster.

erik18
06-10-2011, 6:20 PM
We can't tell you yes or no. You need to get with your armorer and to over dept. Policy.

HisOwnHero
06-10-2011, 7:14 PM
My agency uses the Colt M4A1. We do not have take home rifles however. They are checked in and out from the armory. Same goes for our Remington 870, MP5 and UMP40's.

Check with your department to see what is within policy. As a LEO, there are exemptions to a lot of the gun laws. It will come down to what your department authorizes.

biochembruin
06-10-2011, 7:47 PM
Your question doesn't make sense, but this might clear things up so you can understand what you're trying to ask.

...As you all know there can only be an approved rifle manufacturer for the AR for ones duty rifle...

The "approved rifle manufacturer" you're referring to is dictated by each different law enforcement department's policy, and is only applicable to that particular agency. The penal code doesn't specify that officers can only use a particular rifle manufacturer.

... So my question is, if you have a Colt or Smith & Wesson lower receiver (the approved firearms manufacturer) can you still put an upper of your choice (lwrc) on it and use it as a duty rifle? Also, would any modifications to the rifle be allowed such as an aftermarket trigger assembly? Thank you in advance for your input.

Again, depending on the department, these manufacturers may or may not be approved. It would also be up to each department to draft a policy regarding what modifications and aftermarket accessories, if any, would be allowed. The penal code could care less what an officer does with his duty rifle, provided it is registered properly if the duty rifle happens to be an assault weapon.

So if you're a officer and Smith and Colt are you're only approved rifles, this is set by your department policy. You should then consult a supervisor familiar with your policy to determine what modifications are in policy.

Jonathan Doe
06-10-2011, 9:16 PM
My department issues the rifle. It is checked out at the armory. No personal rifles allowed at this point. We cannot get a letter for purchase either.

Roddd
06-12-2011, 3:52 PM
Depends on the department. Mine, it has to be a complete gun from an approved manufacturer. There's also a list of approved accessories. If you're entering LE and are looking to purchase an AR, wait until you're hired.