PDA

View Full Version : AR 15 Pistol Build

morrcarr67
06-10-2011, 4:47 PM
I was just reading up on the Franklin Armory XO-26.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

By reading the letter they have on their website from the FTB of the ATF that this weapon or any other weapon of this design; ie. any AR type firearm of 26" OAL that is not defined as a "handgun", "pistol" or "rifle", would also fall under the same rule/exemption as the XO-26.

So, my question is if I were to get an AR style pistol lower, could I build it to 26" OAL with a 10.5" and add a VFG and be legal?

Vipersx911
06-10-2011, 5:40 PM
There was another thread on this subject that answered many of the legal questions, I will edit here when I can find the direct link for it. However the build itself was not supported by Calguns at the time, but the build essentially was legal as the thread discusses.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=310269

There is the thread on a build that is similar to the XO-26 style title 1 longarm.

GettoPhilosopher
06-10-2011, 5:41 PM
I was just reading up on the Franklin Armory XO-26.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

By reading the letter they have on their website from the FTB of the ATF that this weapon or any other weapon of this design; ie. any AR type firearm of 26" OAL that is not defined as a "handgun", "pistol" or "rifle", would also fall under the same rule/exemption as the XO-26.

So, my question is if I were to get an AR style pistol lower, could I build it to 26" OAL with a 10.5" and add a VFG and be legal?

If you used a pistol lower that'd never had a stock on it, if the OAL is 26" or above, and it does not count as an AW per CA PC, yes.

Note that a 10.5" barrel is not a requirement; only the 26" or higher OAL.